New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

warranties-extended

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: warranties-extended

Yeah that is what I'll be doing for my next one...I couldn't find one though that was near the price I paid for my x-type with what I wanted...one of the guys on here just got a 2003 x-type from a jag dealer fully loaded with everything and sport and warranty for around 16k...I would have hopped on that but every jag dealer wanted 20k+ for a x-type sport...no matter if it were a 2002-2004...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

My overwhelming task is still to convince the wife that getting a used Jag (am looking at XK8 or XKR) is no worse than a used anything-else in terms of reliability, maintenance, and cost-of-ownership. Obviously, it would be even better if the car I find has some left-over warranty or if I can buy an extended one at a "reasonable" cost. I consider $2k or less to be somewhat reasonable for a waranty and over that to be excessive.

Doug

Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  7.4 KB

Doug,
start off with hiring one for a few days and take her out in in often and preferably in good weather
Once she's out in it and driven it ( assuming you'll allow her to drive it...lol ) She sees the looks she's gonna get and the sheer beauty of the car coupled with its performance.....you'll be halfway there!

Jim

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Doug,
start off with hiring one for a few days and take her out in in often and preferably in good weather
Once she's out in it and driven it ( assuming you'll allow her to drive it...lol ) She sees the looks she's gonna get and the sheer beauty of the car coupled with its performance.....you'll be halfway there!

Jim
Obviously you do not know my wife. Even though this will not be our primary vehicle, she insists on insinuating herself into the decision making process and my "husband brownie points" were lost 12 years ago when I came home with my 95 Vette--a car she VEHEMENTLY disapproved of. My wife is the type of person who gets it into her head the "specifications" for a correct or incorrect decision (whether it has to do with car purchases or home remodels) and ends up being very rigid in tems of adhering to those specs. The current specs for me is to replace the Vette with a new car (of course anything but a Vette). While she is relatively flexible in the new car area (I have looked at cars ranging from BMW 335i, to Infiniti G37, to even a totally impractical 2-seater Saturn Sky), she cannot see the sense of getting a used car. Of course I cannot see the sense of getting rid of my perfectly fine Vette. After a heated argument she finally relented that "if you want to get a used car get a Lexus". I am quite sure that once we actually got the XK8/XKR and she drove it and heard the compliments that I would expect from friends and family, she would end up loving the car. But I have not even gotten to the point where she is willing to physically see one yet. We'll see what can be accomplished by a visit to the therapist

Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw the therapist seismic...welcome by the way if I haven't sent my welcome your way...
Go to the dealer pick one out that doesn't have every single option...I say this because if she gets her expectations of what every jaguar and the one you end up with you have something to work with. We test drove a black x with chrome and than a white x. She insisted that the jag had to be black and our money to spend was totally unrealistic. If you give her a car with every option and are unable to close on that particular car she is going to be totally not going for a car that was less than the first one she rode in...does that make sense???

Once you bring one home and get all your neighbors loving it...she will be totally sold! I brought a black x-type sport to her work one day and when she noticed that every single person...and I mean EVERY single person outside was blatantly staring at the ride she was totally sold on having one! The only problem was that she wanted all black and not any other color of car...anyways once she sees the car sees everyones expression she will be sold...try and get the dealer to let you take it out for the night/weekend! Than take her out with it...perhaps to a nice place with valet...perhaps get the guy at valet to say a few words about the car (go there before you come home from work and pay him off to say some special words...not that you have to anyone would comment on it) to go in your favor!!!

As far as extended warranties I can almost guarantee that unless you work at a bank or what not you will not find a warranty that covers anything...I tried to find any kind of warranty for mine and they were upwards of 4k...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hey aquill1--thanks for the welcome. Keep in mind that my budget limits me to looking at used XK8 or XKR so I can't just drive a demo home from a dealer. So far I have been browsing in person at a couple of local lots and heavily browsing over the internet for cars in my general area (SoCal). I visited 3 independent local mechanics and talked with a fourth mechanic and have been lurking around all of the Jag-oriented forums on the web so that I can give myself a reasonable level of confidence that a used Jag will be relatively maintenance-friendly. I still need to knock a few ****** in the wall my wife has thrown up regarding this issue. Too bad I don't have any local friends or acquaintances with Jags (women always seem to give more credence when it comes from someone other than their spouse or boyfriend).

Doug

Old 09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 27

Seismic.......all I can say is that you made the classic mistake early on in your marriage bro.
Let her take any / all decisions she wants, but the car? Thats yours
Its every mans God given right after all.........lol

Can't you go down the hiring route? Over here we have like prestige car rental agencies that offer top of the line Porsches, Astons, Jags etc for rental for a set period for a set amount....Surely you must have them over there?

The reason we bought my X -
I was in the Saab dealership getting my 93 serviced and my wife had come to pick me up. We had a short while to wait and browsed the lot, as ya do!
Saw this beautiful lookin X in mint condition with low miles.
Now usually her attitude to Jags is...............Hmmmm ...big brutish things.....no likey[&:]
She liked the look of it and we wentfor a drive. Now as much as I wanted to drive I made her get behind the wheel ( method in my madness you see )
Took it for a spin and she was smooth as silk and well behaved, hte car rode nice too....lol
We had to stop at a garage to fuel her as she was low on juice. She gets out and starts to fill her up.......People lookin everywhere, especially 2 youngish guys in a beat up Fordas well as smiles / nods of appreciation from other motorists as she finished fuelling the X.
That was enough.....She was Sold!!

Jim

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Seismic.......all I can say is that you made the classic mistake early on in your marriage bro.
Let her take any / all decisions she wants, but the car? Thats yours
Its every mans God given right after all.........lol

We have been married almost 37 years and the car thing has only really been an issue since I made the egregious "mistake" of coming home with my Vette 12 years ago against her wishes. I think that act of total independence has been like a splinter in her finger that has been festering for 12 years (like the imagery?). Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, but sure as heck I would have been better off having an affair versus getting the Vette[]

Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 37

Hmmm 12 years? [sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]She's still making you pay for it?[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]
Time for drastic action Seismic.
You need to show an active interest in other women, preferably her sister, close friend and or neighbour ( all 3 would be better )
Stay out late, dont call to say you'll be late and maybe buy some really nice expensive smelling perfume ( for your use not the wifes )
Use it sparingly every two or three days especially when you're home late
One of 2 things will happen.......The wife will have other things on her mind more important than which type of car you own / drive and the decision will be left to you.
Or
You 'll be divorced and the choice of vehicle will be all yours
Its a win win scenario tried n trusted by mygoodself.
Say hello to wife number 6 seismic...but rest assured I drive the car that I WANT to ( looks nervoulsy over shoulder!!! )

Heard noises, think its the wife commin...I gott

Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm 12 years? [sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]She's still making you pay for it?[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]
You need to show an active interest in other women, preferably her sister, close friend and or neighbour ( all 3 would be better )
Stay out late, dont call to say you'll be late and maybe buy some really nice expensive smelling perfume ( for your use not the wifes )
One of 2 things will happen.......The wife will have other things on her mind more important than which type of car you own / drive and the decision will be left to you.
Or
Say hello to wife number 6 seismic...but rest assured I drive the car that I WANT to ( looks nervoulsy over shoulder!!! )

This was great for my spirits--your post gave me the best laugh I have had since this whole miserable saga started! Thanks for the yuks!

By the way, before the moderator gets angry for this thread being hijacked from the original subject (extended warranties), I am angling toward an agreement with the misses whereby (1) I limit potential cars to no more than 5 years old or maybe slightly older if low miles (2) preferably with some kind of warranty remaining or available at a reasonable cost (3) I agree to dump the car in a year or less if it turns out to be a money pit.

Doug

Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy

Or

This was great for my spirits--your post gave me the best laugh I have had since this whole miserable saga started! Thanks for the yuks!

By the way, before the moderator gets angry for this thread being hijacked from the original subject (extended warranties), I am angling toward an agreement with the misses whereby (1) I limit potential cars to no more than 5 years old or maybe slightly older if low miles (2) preferably with some kind of warranty remaining or available at a reasonable cost (3) I agree to dump the car in a year or less if it turns out to be a money pit.
Doug
Lol.....glad you had a lighter moment Doug, sounded like you needed it brother
Re the moderators thing......I am the moderator as is Aquill and we both posted, you only need Biggie to post and you have the 3 amigos...lol
So you're all good

Jim

Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well, as long as nobody is kicking me off this thread for wandering somewhat off topic, I wonder if this thread (or maybe another) would be appropriate to ask another question. Assuming that I will be able to move forward on at least looking at some used XK8/XKR, is there a "quick checklist" of things I should look at or check when looking either at a dealer or private party?

For example, I understand that hearing noise from the engine on startup might indicate timing chain tensioner problems. I have worked on cars a bit so am not shy to look under the hood. If I do so with XK8/XKR are there some telltale signs I should look for? Also, I understand electrical issues used to (still?) plague some of these cars. So when I am inside, what switches and controls should I play with, other than the obvious seat adjustment, mirror adjustment, radio, etc.?

I guess if this stuff has not been posted before, it would be nice to have a "sticky" thread related to what first time Jag buyers should look for when shopping used cars.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Doug

Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't this group has ever stayed on topic....well, maybe the "girls draped over jags" and the "hottest chick" debate, but that's about it. You are pretty safe.

It's hard to do a "sticky" thread. The timing chains are the scary issue with the early v8 cars.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 23

Ken's probably dead on there seismic.....The main problem I've heard about is the timing chains.
However, why not visit the XK8 / XKR section n have a look? Talk to those guys.

Good luck

Jim

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

All right, sorry I haven't been checking in too much in this thread, but I generally don't open anything with warranty on it, because I don't have any and I'm afraid that talking about it too much will cause some problems.(Knocking on wood) As for the wifey, put your foot down mate. Let her know that you want a car for YOU, not a car for HER. If you are replacing YOUR corvette, might as well replace it with YOUR choice of car(preferably a Jag: hint hint). The XK is a beaut of a car and you will have no regrets, if you go 02 or 03. I think that the conditions set up by your wife aren't too bad. As for the ideas that Jimbo is putting in your head to make the wife jealous, I would go about having a hot little thing bring you your briefcase that you "accidentally" left at (insert place here).

Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

I appreciate all the marital "advice". I am now confining my car search to 2003 or newer and my budget goes up to ideally no more than about $35k. I want to be about $10k less than what we were prepared to spend for a new BMW 335i or Infiniti G37 as that $10k represents quite a substantial savings. I have seen a few 2005 XK8 at about the $35k range or older XKR at that range. I suspect that if the wifey is honest, she would fall in love with the car once she sat in one and the task now is to get her to at least look--half the battle. I am trying to lobby that the worst downside to getting the used Jag is that it turns out to require constant and expensive servicing. In that case, I would dump and get a new car. She still should be thrilled in that she got me to dump the Vette. I wonder what Dr. Laura would say?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 44

I appreciate all the marital "advice". I am now confining my car search to 2003 or newer and my budget goes up to ideally no more than about $35k. I want to be about $10k less than what we were prepared to spend for a new BMW 335i or Infiniti G37 as that $10k represents quite a substantial savings. I have seen a few 2005 XK8 at about the $35k range or older XKR at that range. I suspect that if the wifey is honest, she would fall in love with the car once she sat in one and the task now is to get her to at least look--half the battle. I am trying to lobby that the worst downside to getting the used Jag is that it turns out to require constant and expensive servicing. In that case, I would dump and get a new car. She still should be thrilled in that she got me to dump the Vette. I wonder what Dr. Laura would say?
Lol........go on seismic...........call Dr Laura.........I dare ya...lol

I think you're onto sumthin there mate........"She wants you to get rid of the Vette! K!!! Thats HER choice NOT yours and tell her that ( nicely of course )
YOUR choice is what to replace it with

Jim

Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

I think you're onto sumthin there mate........"She wants you to get rid of the Vette! K!!! Thats HER choice NOT yours and tell her that ( nicely of course )

Jim
I'm half inclined to give out her email to all my supporters on this and other forums I have visited and have you guys spam her into submission[X(] But that would shortly be followed by me getting hit in the head with some pots and pans[:-]

Doug

Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Jim
I'm half inclined to give out her email to all my supporters on this and other forums I have visited and have you guys spam her into submission[X(] But that would shortly be followed by me getting hit in the head with some pots and pans[:-]
Doug

Seismic.......I've got it. Do as you said above. When she does hit you over the head with those pots n pans.
Come home the next day with your XK8/ XKR...........When she goes bananas at you........claim amnesia due to a sever blow over the head recently
Chalk one up for MANkind....lol

Jim

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Jim
Doug

Seismic.......I've got it. Do as you said above. When she does hit you over the head with those pots n pans.
Come home the next day with your XK8/ XKR...........When she goes bananas at you........claim amnesia due to a sever blow over the head recently
Chalk one up for MANkind....lol

Jim
Geez you keep coming up with good ones!!