New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF

Okay people help me out here, on 06 Dec 2008 I bought a 2005 STR from a Jaguar dealer it is a select pre-owned with full warranty till 2010. The whole sale process went very fast (almost a bums rush) As I'm taking delivery I see some trim that is loose & bring this to the sales associate's attention, he tells me "not to worry take the car & make a list of anythingyou find wrong , & bring it back, will make it right". I do so,yes I found much wrong, it seems someone had ran over a parking bumper & damaged the underside of the front clip misaligning it as well as the bonnet (hood) a transmission cooling line & the A/C condenser were also damaged, two dents on the bonnet (hood) that when the light hits it just right are very visible, a scratch right on the rised bodyline of the right rear door (that had been touched-up by someone making it harder to detect). So being a busy person, it's two weeks later when I call back to drop the car off for repairs, I drop the car offon19 Dec 2008 & the holidays pass no word on my car, I call the dealer only to be told the car has front end damage & I should call my insurance to report it, I tell them "no this is preexisting damage" we go round & around till I get to the sales manager who tells me it will be taken care of. Two more weeks go by (oh yes the dealer did give me a ST to drive) still no feedback, so I make the call to be told "it's just back from our body shop & the SM wants to look it over before returning it to you, so it will be tomorrow". Next day I drive the 60 miles to the dealer pick the car up, clip repaired, bonnet still dented, scratch still on the right rear door I'm told it's fixed we cannot fix it anymore then we have, I've had enough already I've made a payment on the car &haven't even been able to drive it all the time it was at the dealer. I take it & go bidding farwell to this dealer for good. Now I told you that story to tell you this story, last night it have the time to look over all the owners booklets only to find a OEM service log for a 2003 Jaguar that has the past owner's info written down & vin number (not my cars vin) I also find another service log for a 2004 Jaguar past owner's info & vin again not my car, some quick reference guide for an X-type & other misc. stuff that may or may not have anything to do with my car. I can chew nails at this point the car came from out of state I'm in Calie the car came from TN. to SC. to Calie as the Carfax tells me. now I don't know what to think, back to the dealer to have him explain the paperwork found in the owners book holder or just contact corporate, help me out here, what to do? ps I now know I'm a dumb a** for trusting a car dealer so telling me that is not helpful.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts
Default RE: WTF

Call corporate if you want, but I doubt they can do much. The issues you've decribed are between you and the dealer, not you and the manufacturer.

I'm guessing the car came from an aucion, as so many do, possibly with a load of other cars. In the cleaning/prep process sometimes books and manuals, etc get mixed up. I seriously doubt that there is anything nefarious as far as that issue goes.

As far as the scratch and dent go, well,I'd have one more good shot at trying to have them fix the car. Truthfully that sort of stuff can't really be called hidden damage, and it is a used car, so normally you'd have to take your lumps,but, hey,the salesman said "....anything you find..."

I gather the other items (pipe, condenser, etc) were all fixed, and that's good. The dealer probably realized that those items...which a customer wouldn't normally see or look for when considering the car)should have been discovered and repaired before putting the car on the lot.

Anyhow, try to put it behind you and start enjoying the car ! I'd give my left you-know-what to have an STR, even if it had a dent and a scratch

Cheers and good luck
DD

Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks Doug, yes the big stuff (as I like to call it) was fixed. The service logs are from the dealer I bought my STR from so sloppy bookkeeping on their part . I guess I'm off to Dent-Pro on Friday & again thank you I'm trying to enjoy.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

dont sweat the small stuff......and .........everything is the small stuff....like Doug said enjoy the car....most dealers do not make like new, if the ac works and condensor isnt leaking it should be no issue...if theyde have fixed everything like this YOU would have paid for it...or be looking elsewhere as it would be too expensive compare to others

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM

You got it I'm down the road to happiness

Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

another thing, now is the best time to buy a Jaguar...prices are great and deals are happening due to the economy..so if you arent affected its a great time for Jags, and stocks and real estate..not food, not clothes...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to figure how to get another one as we speak.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Sorry to hear about your initial trouble. But, when you put it in perspective, it seems to me that Jag dealers tend to do more for owners of pre-owned cars than most. I say this because I discovered that someone had hit a rock or something on the drivers side rocker between the drivers and drivers rear door. I discovered it when I noticed that the plastic rocker trim coming loose.I spoke with theservice manager and said "Hey this needsthe clips or something fixed, its coming loose". I get a call at work to come get the car. I show up and look at it and notice it isn't fixed. I go in and the manager tells me that there is impact damage, and before Ican start to freak, he tells me that they will fix it, just that it is a big job to replace the rail, and they will have to keep my car for a while. I tell you this because many other dealers would invoke, buyer be ware, and send you on your way, pissed. They said that they were so sorry they didn't see it when they got the car in and agreed to repair it right. See, the previous ownerjust had the trim slapped on and didn't report the accident, therefore itdidn't show up on a carfax. I do find the time my dealer seems to have my car is a little long, and I've had some repairs take multiple tries to get it just right, but then some would say that I can be a royal pain when it comes to my cars. Overall I feel that theydo take care of making sure that the owner is satisfied,and it is working so far. I actually am looking forward to moving into an XF when I can.