Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

1993 Johnson 70 HP two cycle OK, So How Good Are You Gearheads On Outboards?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1993 Johnson 70 HP two cycle OK, So How Good Are You Gearheads On Outboards?

I am part owner of a pontoon boat. The engine got tacky on start up this year and then refused to start twice. Then it failed while underway. I did the following. Any of you with suggestions welcome!

Hot on the track of engine probs: 1993 Johnson 70 HP two cycle

Checked spark plugs. Good. Not burnt nor wet.
checked wires around engine. A few were loose but connected.

Checked compression. All 90+.

Checked fuses on the engine. All OK.

Checked fuel filter, Pumps good fuel though filter.

Pulled air cleaner. Drained all carbs. Fuel looked and smelled good. Pulled all fuel lines. Sprayed carb cleaner in all intake and bowl fittings. All passages appeared clean. Boat gets plenty of fresh fuel.

Checked for spark. None detected. Tried grounding spark plugs. No spark detected. Check using a (suspect) in-line tester. No spark.

Pulled ignition switch. Tested connectors and "dead man's switch". Installed back-up ignition switch. No difference in action or voltages.
Reinstalled original switch.

Suspect after all this that the problem may lie in the electronic ignition module.

Next step is to find a manual and an on-line forum.

So, guys; any suggestions?

Last edited by Translator; 11-15-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Improved title
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Default Update...

I found a forum and researched the problem. They suggested disconnecting the wiring harness, removing the spark plugs, jumping the solenoid, and checking for spark. All this would tell me if the ignition switch or kill switch was bad. I did so and still no spark. So, it is an internal ignition problem. Now to figure out what to check next...

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Default Found The Problem...

...after a few false starts. Following research, it seemed accepted the power pack was the culprit. I ordered a $200 replacement. Wrong. It wasn't it. The next step was to pull the flywheel. Sounded simple but was a PITA. Had to modify the gear puller. The flywheel was almost welded to the shaft. I must have put 170 + foot pounds on it until it broke free and almost tossed me off the dock. The stator was shot. Ordered a new one. Of course, to had a broader application so it had to be customized to fit. Put it in yesterday and all is good. FYI (Now to get working on the back up sensor on the XJ8)

Last edited by Huntervision; 01-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.