Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Rolls-Royce vs Jaguar

Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

contrary to what everyone else is saying about the RR about it having a certain presence...i am going to have to disagree.

if it was a relatively newer RR that you pulled up in, yes id say you most likely come with deep pockets. However considering its a 20 year old car, i wouldnt look at you any different than how id look at someone with a used 3 series bmw. the only thing that would come to my mind is "ballin on a budget". Im not trying to offend you, im just explaining that the RR "weight" doesnt work the same in this situation

now back on topic........when comparing this to a Jag, i would say the RR repair costs are less. I also think driving the Jag would be a lot more fun.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rollers, cars for drug dealers to spend money on. Its like comparing a Ferrari with a 10 litre Mack Truck, yep, the Mack truck is well built with a sleeper in the back, so is the Roller,... a Jaguar, different story, great engineering where its only needed, agile, smooth, performance, good appointments and quality.

They all age even clapped out Rollers look bad, so I would always pick a refined car, not one overengineered to hide faults in design.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I actually own a 1984 RR Spirit and an '88 XJ40. Driving wise, the Rolls is far more elegant, refined and much lighter to drive, while the XJ40 is technically streets ahead - Rolls Royce never put anything in their cars until it was age-proven. I do all the maintenance on both myself, and in that find almost more satisfaction than in the driving - sad or what! I think that it is a myth to say that the RR is not for home maintenance, although they are heavily into high-pressure hydraulics and complex electrics - but then so is the XJ40. I just love them both!

Ron

Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

now back on topic........when comparing this to a Jag, i would say the RR repair costs are less. I also think driving the Jag would be a lot more fun.
Jaguars aren't cheap to maintain, but Rolls-Royces are in another league entirely.

For my part I've had it with 'active suspensions' in general.
They're fine for the first few years out of the factory, and that's it.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 87 Silver Spur, had it since 08 and I'm the second owner. Currently has 47,000 miles on it. I've only changed the oil and added hydraulic fluid. As far as drive. Can only compare it to my last XJ6 series 3. On a long boring drive the Rolls is far better, it takes zero effort to drive. If it was in twisty mountain roads, the Jag is a lot more fun. Another car I'm looking for is a 78 to 80 Silver Shadow II or Wraith. Want near showroom condition and have not found one that nice yet.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

This is like comparing apples to oranges. The Rolls-Royce has the Jaguar beaten on exclusivity but maintenance and repair costs are much higher, despite someone's opinion here that they are not. A Rolls is a more elegant ride but not nearly as much fun to drive as a Jag. A vintage Rolls may not spark any interest in a heavily populated city like New York, but where I live, in the rural Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, a Rolls of any sort will definitely attract attention. Thanks to entry level models such as the X-Type, that's not so much the case with Jaguars.

Dwayne