Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Who drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Lightbulb Who drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee ?

Hi to be precise, it's anyone who has driven or drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 circa 2001-2007 as it's the Mercedes engine.
I have looked at one I wish to buy but, it revs high on idle around and up to 1800 rpm. I think it's too high and wonder if anyone can advise. When sitting in neutral/park the vehicle sounds as if you're accellorating with a certain pitch as if the clutch is away to bite and you are away to move or overtake. I think it maybe an easy tweak on the timing and maybe a good tuning as I am aware the vehicle sat idle for 2 months at least.
I am concerned if I do buy it, the problem may be a lot more than minor.
The vehicle has done 68,000 miles and it's the common rail deisel Overland model. As I said I like the vehicle but....... just not sure.
If you can add advice or your opinion, I'd much appreciate it?

Thanks Guys (And Gals!!)
Stu

Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

that is def too high for an idle esp if it doesnt lower when the motor is warm. I would suggest a pre purchase inspection before you buy it. Its worth the $100-$200 to find out how cheap or how expensive the problem is to fix.

make sure you reach a price on the Jeep youre happy to buy it for before you spend th emoney on the inspection.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I didn't follow up the Jeep as the car itself is advertised on about 7 different websites in different areas and when I viewed and did the test-drive all they had was a colour photo copy of the V5 owners document, you know if you smell something.....
It USUALLY is SOMETHING!!!
Plus the dealer said his mechanic would "look at it" and of course he never got back to me.
In my view the high revving could have been because the vehicle had sat idle for a few months, BUT, it could have been something else and if I buy something with a problem, I like to know exactly what is is and if I can fix it!
If I sell a car, I want to be honest and I will make allowances if the car was not A1, it seems others out there cannot be bothered, I hate that!!
Cheers, I'll save the money for the real deal
Thanks bmw745ion19s

Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member

no problem! and as a dealer myself if he chooses to sell the car as is with a problem thats not wear and tear he should have told you upfront to save both of you the time and energy! as you said unfortunately not everyone does business the right way.

I always tell people not to feel bad, those scummy dealers are often just as scummy to us fellow dealers as their potential customers...sad story!

Stuart Beattie (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, that is reassuring, Mr BMW, I hear so many sad tales I tend to start thinking er, is it me?
Then You say something and I awake, the bad dream is always lurking so I wish you happy customers and I notice you have an S' Type R, I bet she'a great car too!
Happy Days, Stu

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

Ps, I' m still lokking out for the 2.7 deisel Grand Cherokee (Overland) so if anyone has any other major pointers to look out for I'd much appreciate it?
ATB, Stu

Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Post now closed, thank you guys and gals X
I now have a nice Grand Cherokee, well it's hers!

Thank you and Regards,
Stu

Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Tell the story Stu, maybe post a few pics too.....

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Default Thank you Mr C64, Jim

Damn er was I seen?
Yes Thanks Jim, it's quite a story and I'm sure the boys will be yawning if I tell THE WHOLE WHOLE STORY!!

To be honest, I have struggles for work recently and certainly haven't got the pennies to splash although I dearly want to for my Good Lady as she has baled me out a few times, so to speak and I really want to spoil her but sometimes I think she'll get fed up with me making promises and say "why am I waiting? " Yup, just like the song!

Anyow, Fiona had looked at a lot of vehicles and I suggested the Jeep but I added that the Grand Cherokee 2.7 crd overland was the best!!!
I believe that more now and we had not viewed many at all because sadly Fiona has had a lot of grief recently with family tragedy and she also lost her Mum.

RIP Ellen Campbell.

Not only this but she was laid off but has temp work now and I was up and down getting agency driving work and to be quite honest I don't think I'd stand a chance of being lucky enough to push a supermarket trolley!! The job market here in Perth stinks, people don't reply to your emails and applications and you don't even know who the hell you are giving your details to.

Angry yes, but sadly guilty of thinking, "I'll move house then get a job in 2 weeks!" Well I haven't!

Yup the car sorry folks!

I had checked out this Grand Cherokee down south in Bromsgrove and got the details, checked the photos and the mileage was less than 50.000 miles! The car was or will be 10 in December (2003 53 registered December 03). The problem was she (the Jeep) was over 350 miles away, so we hummed and ha'd and said we'll have to go down to view, baring in mind we made plans to view other vehicles and the good 'uns were going fast, basically, we were missing out all the time and the other Jeeps were high mileage, high price and the numptees advertising them were not giving out vin doc reference numbers, only showing 2 sides of the car in photos and I have to say it, a guy is selling a jeep in Inverness and the bl**dy pictures are taken in the fog or the camera has a dirty lense!!!

I emailed for better pictures and he said the back on his phone was broken and I replied that no-one in their right mind would travel far to see THAT car. It took a guy in Sheffield ages to reply to my mail and he has just sent me his vin ref doc number after refusing!!! I told him he wasn't ROYALTY and that as he refused to show his reference number I would assess from that that he was behaving illegally!

Funny he has now sent it... BUT WE DON'T WANT IT NOW!

Jim and all present, I do apologise but this is starting to be a rant so I will cool it!

We are planning this awesome trip to buy this jeep and suddenly A friend Yup Hers! Tsk Tsk is coming up to stay for the weekend... WELL, I don't know about you guys and gals, but I hate tracking details and speaking to people then not going to view unless something is very wrong. I feel terrible if I waste someones time and I wanted to get it right and inject some self-confidence. (Please make up your own mind on this next installment!)

I said So that's the car out then....she said "yeah another one bites the dust!" Well, I had spoken to the garage owners and I knew and had a gut feeling we might regret losing out on this one!

Then this wierd feeling came over me, my brain FROZE!!! But I heard this voice ghostily echoeing in my head, THAT'S OK DARLING, I CAN ..................H I T C H - H I K E ! Then I swallowed hard, yep there was nuthin!

That was it! The plan was set. The following day I left at 1pm, walked onto the A9 dual carriageway and 2 hours later the fun began...
1st, thank you Terry halfway to Airdrie and a bloody good chat.

Then Robbie a joiner, many thanks! 3rd was Bert who got me all the way to Charnock Richard and oh my God a four hour wait to get out of there in the Lovely Scottish rain, oh boy, that was a stretch! 4th was Dave to West Bromich at 740am and I thought this is hell! The slip road onto the M5 was a killer and I retreated to a BP gas station and James took me up to 3 miles away in Bromsgrove. Thank you guys, you all did me PROUD!

5 lifts and 350 miles later, I was shattered, hadn't slept and I was quaking in my boots buying a car that my Girlfriend had never seen face to face.
Now would I have been safe at night if the car I bought was a DUD!

I took around an hour and a half to view the car after hastily finding a guest house to have 2 hours and 59 minutes sleep! Yes it was the Avoncroft in Bromsgrove, Thank you Ron and maureen, (the following morning the brekkies was fantastic).

I took the jeep for a test-drive and it was fab although they did call me to ask if I was okay as I had pulled over to do more checks, I was in puddles on my hands and knees, checking the wheels, axles, under chassis and I am absolutely positive I didn't leave a switch unchecked.

All was good and I slept sound at the guesthouse that night hey, I didn't even go to the pub!!! I drove back up the following day and was relieved to find my Girl was happy with it! I am over the moon!

On the return back to sunny Perth in Scotland I didn't put a foot wrong and arrived back safely! The Jeep is amazing, only 2 owners and the 1st had it for 8 months and a lovely older couple looked after it very well having it mot'd at the same place for over 7 years and though there was work done on the pins and bushes everything was minor and they had all the reciepts! The engine is like new, likes being pushed and the only issue is when she decides to programme the seat??? A big thank you to Jon and Jonathon Churchill at Churchill 4x4 in Hanbury, bromsgrove, Worcestershire

I laugh when she gets in and the seat moves to the wrong position! DOH!

Well I look back now and I recall the "I'll hitch-hike"conversation whilst thinking By F*** that's a Farking long way! Gulp, but I did it and I really don't think I would have got anything like that car any nearer as I was looking for ages (around 2 months!)

I have now found a new zest for life and if anyone can advise how the heck I can insure myself to drive other peoples cars, please feel free to suggest, or pm me, I shall be much obliged as I am thinking there may be an opening for me here as I strongly believe a lot of people would rather someone trustworthy drove or collected their pride and joy and delivered to the owners chosen destination according to their wishes instead of using some big corporation to transport it on a loader or truck!

I know every time I've had a car recovered it grew scratches and dents and of course "that was there before!" so they tell me!

Thank you Jim, I hope this is fun to read and please don't think I'm a grumpie, I only do that as a put-on for Fiona.

Hey hey, I'm sure it's a turn-on... Grrrrrrr ! So sexy

Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Stu....WHAT a story.....lol

Thanks for sharing.

Kudos to you for the hitch hiking mate.....its a longggg way as you found out, but you got there in the end.

The Jeep sounds great, but, where's the pics??
Get em posted.

As for the seat issues ( electric memory seats? ) perhaps some owners here or a visit to a Jeep forum will find the answer you need?

Sorry to hear about Fiona's mum.....Ellen Campbell, I wonder if we're distant relatives?

Glad you got a good one and Fiona's happy...........all's well that ends well.

Cheers

Stuart Beattie (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I hope this link works and ps... Her new Jeep! Princess Fiona (I drove her first!!!) X
For thiose sharp-eyed snoops out there, yes you're damn right, there's a missing knob for the radio!!!
Please get in touch or pm me, if I can get one it'll please my good Lady and I will be mightily nae wonderfully supa-dupa ly impressed!
Regards to all! Stu

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Looks good Stu.............nice one

Stuart Beattie (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Wink Sorry Jim, I missed your reply!

Ellen Campbell was from Coatbridge but her hubby (Fionas Dad) John Campbell was from kilmarnock, sadly he passed away prematurely around 25 years ago and poor Ellen was a widow for quite a while.
Regarding John, I believe he's from the Argyll Campbells.
It would be interesting if you are related and thanks for the complimentary words.
The last time i hitched in 2 lifts was from Invergordon to Aberdeen over 20 years ago and it was small pies in comparison.
I was dismayed and frustrated at the lack of work in Perth and it has stunned me completely. Jim, I have absolutely never been or felt so desolate in all my life!
The sad thing is there are many like me and when I heard stories of peole unemployed long term over 2 or more years who end up unemployable, it gives me a shudder thinking I could end up like that!
Fortune Favours the Brave, I surely hope so!!!
Cheers, Stu

Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart, your adventure to get your new jeep sounded like quite a novel but I am glad it worked out well! You picked a nice color and I bet the diesel drives nice as well.

Keep trying hard and have faith + prayers and you will certainly find a great job !

I had a WJ Jeep this body style for several years in limited form with the 4.7 V8 and 4x4. It had its moments (thank God most of them were under warranty!) but overall served me well! Yours should be very reliable overall because it was one of the last years of that body style.

Keep it clean and enjoy it!

Stuart Beattie (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, bmw745ion19s
I will keep you posted

Cheerrs Stu

Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Question MOPAR Steering Fluid! any ideas please say, thanks!

To follow up this post, I am beguiled and most confused, so if anyone can contribute, I'll be a lot happier.
Twice this weekend I have bought steering fluid for the Grand Cherokee and already have taken 1 back. I only want to top it up but am shocked at the lack of information especially as Halfords website hardly says anything at all, the info below is from the bottle.
I now have Halfords Advanced Automatic Transmission and Steering fluid item code : 262407 which is recommended as replacement for:
GM Dexron ll and lll, Ford mercon V, Ford WSS-M2C202-B, Ford ESP-M2C 166H,
MOPAR ATF +3 and +4, VW G 052 162 and MB 236.6/7/10/12

I have since went on a few jeep websites and can't find a decent source of exact information. Some posters say you MUST use MOPAR and others name fluids I have not been able to check.
The spec for my Girls' Jeep Grand Cherokee 2003 is a 2.7 CRD and it only says MOPAR in the manual.
I am tempted to use the advanced fluid mentioned above as it does say ATF +4 and it has the MB merc code for the fluid too! as the 2.7 is a Merc engine I am absolutely sure it's safe to use BUT, it's her car and if I'm wrong!!!
Any help appreciated folks, hope yoiu are all having a good 1 ?
Regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-28-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: rearrangement