Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas Do you have a Jaguar model not listed above? This is the place to talk about it!

Lister Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello again! I have added the next "chapter" to the saga. It is not too glamorous but it shows some of the tedious things i ran into that you would not have to do with a kit car.

I am getting better at organizing and posting the photos so, hope to have another chapter posted sometime this weekend.

bob

Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM

OK - i got motivated and added Chapter 3 - the drive train!

bob

Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by listerjag
Thank you all for your kind comments! Fortunately, the photos hide the flaws

SCMike is correct. the car really is a recreation/interpretation (i try not to use "replica" because it is not a very good replica) of a Lister. Since i selected GM power over Jaguar power it is more closely representative of a Lister-chevy and should not be displaying the Jaguar badges (so probably does not really belong on this site).

Because of Listers close relationship with Jaguar and mostly because i just really like the growling cat so much more than the Lister badge, I put the Jaguar badge on the car. It is not intended to offend and I do not represent it other that what it is...my home-built attempt to re-create a very cool and unusual ride from the late 50's (the sheets on the windshield call out Jaguar because the schools mascot is the Jaguar and i thought the students would get a kick out of that - they did!).

There are a few ounces (very few) of Jaguar in the car...the rear view mirror, side mirrors, Lucas tail lights, and Lucas head lights were sourced from the Jaguar catalog of two large British car parts supply retailers (I am pretty sure the parts are all reproductions but..that was the best i could get). Sadly, that is about it.

It is not a beck or a dragon or a kit. I sourced the chassis and a body from Lucra Cars (their version is based on a modified Beck version) and have extensively revised, modified and reconfigured the frame and body (including creating new quarter panels, fenders, rockers, and head fairings) such that it bears little resemblance to the Lucra version.

The entire interior, aerodynamics, ductwork, sheet metal, sway bar, and the brackets, bezels, trim rings, frames, etc are my own design which i fabricated in my garage (I do have lathes and a mill and a few other items that help out quite a bit!!). The interior panels are either composite construction from molds or hand formed aluminum panels. I also learned how to use the wife's sewing machine and designed and sewed all of the upholstery on the interior panels including the seats (so, please don't look too closely at the interior as i am much better with a lathe and mill than i am with a sewing machine!).

Anyway, that is the 30 second version of the background on the project. I am still working on the "to-do" list and have a few operational issues to resolve.

Translator - there are toggle switches located under the dash that control the lights, windshield wipers (which i have needed twice already!), horn and trunk release. They are hard to see in photos as they are black rubber encased toggles located about 2 inches back from the face of the dash. I put them there to keep the dash plain and clean looking.

JagXK82001 - it is a hoot to drive - at 3.1 lbs/hp it is a pretty terrifying ride! Cant really imagine strapping on a vintage '50's racing helmet, jumpsuit and a pair of goggles and racing something like this on tires 1/3 the width of my tires and w/o any of the aero stuff i have....those dudes had guts!

bob

I love the car and from being a new Jag owner I notice there is often a set of people whom are die hard stock owners and that is fine but I appreciate anything with performance and love custom work. I think you did a great job! Also you did the right choice of a modern GM aluminum bock/head V8 versus an old schoold iron block. I am rebuilding my old 1965 Jag that I purchased that had a 350 chevy conversion done over a decade ago and will be dropping a LS1 or LS2. Nice Car!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Hello all - new album posted if you are interested. the Lister-Jag is no more and the latest album details the "de-Jaguar-izing" of my ride. Now more appropriately badged, the car is officially a "Lister-Chevy".

so, now it looks like i will have a lot of "Jaguar" paraphernalia up for bidding on ebay...LOL Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos!

bob

The following users liked this post:
SCMike (06-07-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Enjoy them very much. Thanks for posting. Loving the write-ups that go with the photos.

I admire your skill and attention to detail, those center caps and badge/horn bezels are simply great.

Keep the chapters coming.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by listerjag
Hello all - new album posted if you are interested. the Lister-Jag is no more and the latest album details the "de-Jaguar-izing" of my ride. Now more appropriately badged, the car is officially a "Lister-Chevy".

so, now it looks like i will have a lot of "Jaguar" paraphernalia up for bidding on ebay...LOL Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos!

bob
Fantastic! Now your Lister re-creation is spot-on. Thank you for taking the time, and making the non-trivial effort, to post all the details of your work. It is much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM

If anyone is interested, I added the next "chapter" in the Lister build saga.

bob

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 PM

hello all! i know it has been a while but things have been hectic and i have not been able to sit in front of the computer in a while. Anyway, i just added Chapter 6 to the Album. it shows the initial forming of the wide body on the car. Check it out when you have a moment or two!

bob

Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Hello again - Sorry for the time-out but the track car has been screaming at me and i have had to spend some quality time with it to keep it track worthy. As with everything i seem to touch...it was not supposed to be a project and now i am in the process of re-doing the entire braking system...ugh (and if it is not track worthy then it really has no use so...priorities, priorities!)

So, I did take a quick break and posted a few more pics of how we continued with the body and the basic structure if you are interested. as with the other albums, Chapter 7 photos all have descriptions about the work and our thought processes (or lack thereof)!

bob

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Ok...got carried away and added Chapter 8 as well! Now back to the track car. More on the Lister project later!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Whilst we might not post many comments here, due to the Off Site nature of your build progress.

Rest assured that I for one, follow with interest and have nothing but admiration for your attention to detail in the creation of this great machine.

Just wish I could see it in the flesh, and maybe, just maybe, be a passenger in it, whilst you take me for a spin. (I can dream, cant I?).

Please keep posting the updates.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Translator
Just wish I could see it in the flesh, and maybe, just maybe, be a passenger in it, whilst you take me for a spin. (I can dream, cant I?).
All you have to do is hop onto a nonstop to WDC. If you fly into Dulles he might even pick you up in the Lister/Jag/Chevy -- that would be soooooo cool!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Ed M is spot on! I'm a short easy drive from IAD so hop a flight and jump the pond!

I have plenty of photos so if you all are still interested, i am happy to keep posting when i can between the projects (too much to do and not enough hours in a day).

Thanks again for the kind words. the lower res photos are nice as they hide all of the flaws!! I sure did learn a lot on this one - the next one would be better...if i had the energy to do another one, that is!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy - Sorry to reply to an old thread but I am trying to get in touch with listerjag and it appears he has not posted in a long time. I posted a message to his page but if he no longer visits this forum I would appreciate it if anyone who knows how to get in touch with him would let him know that I am trying to get in contact with him about Beck/Avanti/Lucra Lister Corvettes. He can either reply on this forum or email me at lister-land-usa@***.net.

Thanks,
Alan Blair
Beck Lister #030