Photography Interested in Photgraphy? Discuss equipment, angles , lenses and techniques here. Photos are a must of course....

Which dlsr

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Which dlsr

Okay..so I bought a Nikon p100 a couple months back. I took some amazing pictures with it but I want some bigger, faster and more robust.

I will be shooting alot of landscape, macro and family protraits. Aswell other little bits.

I've narrowed my chises down to two cameras, the canon eos 60d I was bent on getting it until I heard about the new nikon d7000. The canon felt very light, due tot he body, and very easy to use and select settings.

The nikon d7000 rumoured to be the d90's replacement also looks really good, its lighter, faster, better iso parameters and less niose in it too. The video isnt a huge benefit to me.

Review's say the nikon is better but I dont know which one to get, and I havnt been able to get a hand on a d7000 cuase their selling like candy at a fat kids parade.

Any thoughts, I know the nikon is better in performance and specs, minus the screen and video capabilities.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a couple canons and I love them. I have had two rebels, a 50D, and 1d mark v. They are great cameras and very reliable. That is just my opinion though, I have never owned a Nikon.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I was going to get the t2i/550d, but i like the 60d cuase it was bigger, faster and had the top lcd which was easy to use.

The d90 from nikon just felt heavy. So then the d7000 came out and all these reviews about how awesome it is better then the 60d and some even say better then the 7d.

I want a camera that gives me great pictures and isnt going to be outdated in a few weeks. The nikon i have, just a point and shoot dosent always take the best shots. You really have to work it, unless its macro.

What do you think of the 60d

Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Default which camera?

Having used just about every camera system available I settled for the Canon DSLR"s because they simply do what they need to at a reasonable price. For you I would recommend the 7D. 18 megapixels is enough to make a billboard if you want and it has HD video capability and a titanium body. They 60D is nice but it is plastic and the shutter ultimately will not give you the same number of actuations the 7D will, the 60D fills the void between the rebel and the 7D. Like a lot of things the more you spend the better the product.......but after the 5D MK II the cameras get needlessly complicated, unless you like that.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

7d.....is kinda big and a bit out of my price range

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM

As a reference, you can see some of the work I have done with a Ti and T1i. Here is some of my portrait work and engagement photo work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daviddedonato

Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

wow those are amazing. I went to banff the last few days and I took my nikon p100. While my freind took his olympus e510 a dslr and for some reason my pictures were truning out better.

I like nikon and I think im goingto stick with them, even though the higher quality nikkors are bit expensive.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I started w/ a Nikon D60 then got the 90......Nikon rocks!

Nikon>Canon

Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Riski
I started w/ a Nikon D60 then got the 90......Nikon rocks!

Nikon>Canon

D90 IS A SWEEET CAMERA
the d7000 is the nex guy up. Did you hear about the romured D91?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im good w/ the D90 for quite a few yrs.....Still have the D60 as well

Still way too many options for me to figure out and use

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yea its a good camera.

I dont think you can go wrong with ethier nikon or canon
I like nikon lens a bit more though.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM

Lots of good advise here. I too shoot for a living and the 5D is my choice. The Nikon guys will tell you the Nikon is better. Get your hands on the cameras and figure out which one fits you best. It's all about comfort and features. Either Canon or Nikon will serve you well IMHO. Stick with the brand optics. Happy shooting.

Ed

Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM

The best advice I can give is determine what you're mostly going to be photographing. From there decide what lenses you'll need to accomplish that with. The camera body in the digital age is disposable, but the lenses are an investment. You won't go wrong either way Canon or Nikon. They both have great glass available and many places will rent glass from them. I recommend saving yourself some cash and consider a used body or lenses. KEH.com has a plethora of quality used equipment, Adorama & BH also do as well as new equipment. I deal with them all but prefer KEH & B&H. I can't speak for Nikon, but I would recommend a 40D brilliant camera or a 5D. Also consider a 1Ds (11mp) built like a tank image quality is awesome, however she's not forgiving exposure wise, but that'll force you to learn to get it right vs fixing it later which is the trend anymore. They've been selling for under $1000 lately.