Photography Interested in Photgraphy? Discuss equipment, angles , lenses and techniques here. Photos are a must of course....

wide angle lens

Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default wide angle lens

Okay so im looking for a good cheap wide angle lens.

Everything ive seen so far is around 700-1500

anybdy got any idea's suggestions? and its would be for nikon d7000

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its been a month since the OP but you get what you pay for when it comes to photography. if you are looking for "cheap" glass, dig around on ebay, garage sales and craigslist.

ive personally been looking at the Nikkor 10.5mm for shooting out on the offroad trails

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-5mm-2...pd_sim_sbs_p_1

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

A good quality camera lens is hard to find. When it comes to a wide angle lens it becomes more difficult. It is a matter of what you want. If you are not concerned with the speed of the lens or the parallax of the image and of course the quality of the lens. I have but two lenses that are not Nikon and they are Tamron. To find a good cheap lens I would first look at a used Nikon and second Tamron. I can tell you first hand nothing good is cheap. This link might help http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you cannot afford the nikon 12-24mm, the tokina version of it is around $400 and they are pretty decent.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I had two Tokina lenses and was not pleased with them at all.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well in my opinion, tokina made good wide angle lenses, just wide angle lenses.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was reading an online review about Tamron Aspherical series 28-300mm. It is meant to be an all-purpose lens, so kinda jack of all trades - master of none thing ... but for enthusiasts use, it might fit the bill.

I'm looking to get a used one from B&H or Adorama actually ....

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Are you photographers going to laugh at me if I suggest Sigma?

Maybe I take crappy pictures because I buy cheap lenses.

Yeah... that's it! It has nothing to do with my complete lack of artistic ability. It's just the wrong lens!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sigma is a good lens just not one I would put above the bar.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

No Hijack here guys, I just want to be subscribed (used to work in a Photographic dealers back in 79, 80, student days) spent loads 'o' time in the dark room sorting out cameras with exposed film in the back, including the flat, tiny JB Minox.

I know nothing about modern digital equipment and take pleasure from learning.

Thanks.

@Sam, evidently you are not artistically or aesthetically inclined, when you take the picture of the wedding with the tree growing out of the bride's head, you need to give an explanation that.. this is an amalgamation of ritual and nature, represented in the pictorial combination of hope and new growth. Should be worth a few thou. LOL

Our the biggest seller was Yashica with Contax bayonet Zeiss lenses. Every Saturday I'd sell 4.

My current SLR is an old Zenith.

Be interesting to to see what tmz_99 has to say.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is my most favorite place to go when I want to see what is going on in the camera world. You can check on what is new and get reviews and see the comments and reviews on older equipment. http://www.megapixel.net/html/index.php My first camera was a Petri ES Auto and I loved it but moved up to a Yachica TL Electro X camera then to Nikon. If I had it to do again in would still have position of the Petri camera. I hope you enjoy the link, I give it to many that are asking for the best camera for the buck.

I should include that I use Cannon point and shoot cameras for most of my car stuff.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

There really isn't any good, cheap wide angle lens. You can only get two of those parameters at the same time.

The nicest 'cheap' wide angle lens I can think of would be the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. Still run you $550-600 used and you'd still need a body.

FWIW, my current 35mm is a Leica IIIF Red Dial. I just sold my 40D and am purchasing a 5D Mk 2... my pocket cam is a older Canon Powershot SD400.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tamron are a good lens for the price, I used to own a bunch of their lenses a few years ago which I've handed down to my partner as I upgraded to Canon L series and Sigma lenses.

More often then not, people buy a lens which is too expensive/offers too much. This can prove daunting as when photos come out not as expected, you tend to blame the kit. In reality, very good photos can be made with any SLR/Lens combination as long as thought goes into lighting/composition and a little bit of work in photoshop is undertaken to clean up the image/alter it as per original idea.

Get a lens that fits within your budget and get the most of out it.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm just getting into photography! I just got a canon eos t2i/550d and I want to do some video with my car as well as other cars. What have you guys heard about the canon 50mm f1.8?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha glad to see this thread blowing up some. I love photography!

as whats been stated by many, good glass isnt cheap and the photographer him/herself is more important than the equipment.

@JaggyX- i do not own nor shoot Canon but from what ive heard its a good lens. I have Nikons version and its a VERY superb lens. Clear crisp and fast. I use it mostly for modeling shoots

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I agree the camera and lens is only a small part of a good photo. The photographer is a big, big part of the photo and should not be taken lightly but I can say a good lens can make the difference between a good or great photographer and photo. It is all about light and the proper use of it and a good lens plays a big part in the photographers results. I have a lens that I paid a little over $1500.00 for and only used it a few times but the results were rewarding.

Attached Thumbnails wide angle lens-grandsonbraylan.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I'm just getting into photography! I just got a canon eos t2i/550d and I want to do some video with my car as well as other cars. What have you guys heard about the canon 50mm f1.8?
If you're shooting wide open it's fine. If you're shooting for bokeh/blur quality, it's pretty horrible. For the price, you can't really beat it. I owned mine for all of about 12 hours before returning it. Build quality... it feels disposable. If you want a 50 prime and plan on using it a lot, go for the f1.4.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

My suggestion to anyone looking to purchase a high-end camera is to rent one first then make your decision. I have a rule when purchasing camera equipment and that is,

• Do my homework and get all the good and bad information.
• Go to the camera shop without my wallet (no cash or credit cards) for a hands on and dialog.
• Rent the equipment first to see if it meets MY NEEDS.

I cannot tell you how many times I told myself how lucky I was for taking this approach.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Not sure about any 'nikon' branded lenses, but they're probably expensive.

In the canon circles, the Tokina 11-16 gets very good reviews from owners, as well as the Tokina 12-24, both should have very little distortion on a crop sensor, and still get you plenty wide (17-18mm 35mm equiv roughly)

Others are raving about the multi-branded Samyang 14mm f2.8, try this link or this one for a review.

Me, personally 24mm is pretty wide on my full frame, and when I really want wide, I got a $200 zenitar 16mm fisheye, not great wide open, but stopped down, its very good. All manual focus though. Its had some 'work'done, like that aperture pin removed, and then adjusting the focus ring (id didn't go to infinity, a common problem on these russion lenses) but I like it.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
My suggestion to anyone looking to purchase a high-end camera is to rent one first then make your decision. I have a rule when purchasing camera equipment and that is,

• Do my homework and get all the good and bad information.
• Go to the camera shop without my wallet (no cash or credit cards) for a hands on and dialog.
• Rent the equipment first to see if it meets MY NEEDS.

I cannot tell you how many times I told myself how lucky I was for taking this approach.
I'd say buy the best lens you can afford and buy the body that has features that you want... putting priority into the lenses with little consideration as to which body you want.

Hell, even a 20D can still take an amazing picture... if you have a good lens to go with it. Don't be bothered by how many megapixels a camera is, it's mostly meaningless after 6-8 MP. Without a good lens, any higher megapixel sensors and your crops won't be as usable.

So if you only have $2000 to budget, get a couple lens and settle on an older body. Nobody in the world can tell which body you're using, but a good lens is priceless.

Originally Posted by h20boy
Not sure about any 'nikon' branded lenses, but they're probably expensive.
Nikon lenses used to be much more expensive, but most of the high end lenses are similarly priced with Canon now and a few exceptions that Canon is actually higher priced. 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 IS/VR lenses come to mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wide angle lens