Sponsored by:

Aluminum Hood dings, PDR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Aluminum Hood dings, PDR?

Aluminum Hood dings, PDR?-2-1-.jpg

Aluminum Hood dings, PDR?-2-2-.jpg

Just finally got around to cleaning my car, well not clean but somewhat good enough to get the salt off. I found a few presents after doing so, a few dings on my hood! Not a happy camper right now. No idea where or how this happened, because I am overly **** about her, but it could have been from falling ice or something of that nature. There is no paint chipping, scratching or anything like that and the dings are SO small that you can only see them at the right angle. However, this is going to drive me freaking crazy when the spring time rolls around and she is nice n' shiny 24/7.

Is Paintless Dent Removal an option on aluminum hoods? Any other ideas? I am planning on getting the front bumper cover resprayed after the winter so I may just see what the auto body shop can do. I'm so p!ssed right now, opinions are greatly appreciated. Oh and I found a nice door ding as well. How does this happen when I park 50 feet away from the closest in parking lots! I freak on people when I see them slamming their doors into other peoples cars, I CANNOT see how they can remotely find this acceptable or ok to do!?

Rant over.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

If I'm not mistaken PDR is easier on aluminum since it is a softer metal. I could be wrong though. I would think the hood would be easier for them to do also. I was quoted 75 for 3 small dings on the very bottom of my door so I dont see it being that expensive to do for the hood.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Hey Joe, I have had 2 dings in Joyces hood removed by way of PDR. Travis my PDR is the best!!! MAKE sure you tell what ever PDR company you choose that the hood is aluminum and you want their most experienced guy!!!

vance850, aluminum is actually harder to remove dings from, though it is softer than metal it doesn't have the "memory" that steel has, which makes it a bitch to remove the dings.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Joe,

I've got a nice scratchless ding on the rear passenger door as well. Almost impossible to see unless you angle yourself properly. I, like you, park far away from everybody wherever I go but some how these dings find me. It's frustrating. It's like people are out to get you.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Joe,

I've got a nice scratchless ding on the rear passenger door as well. Almost impossible to see unless you angle yourself properly. I, like you, park far away from everybody wherever I go but some how these dings find me. It's frustrating. It's like people are out to get you.

I have also read the aluminum hoods are much harder to remove dents being that it IS a softer metal.

Anyways, Chris the utter lack of respect is outrageous. Dozens of times I have seen people (mostly women) open their back seat car door, slam it against the car next to them, then proceed to put groceries or a baby into the back seat while their over sized behind pushes their door furthur into the car next to them. It is actually mind boggling, how much lack of respect, common courtesy and common sense goes on when it comes to this. Could very well be my biggest pet peeve. Ever.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
I have also read the aluminum hoods are much harder to remove dents being that it IS a softer metal.
Again its not because aluminum is softer, aluminum does NOT have the memory metal has.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Anyways, Chris the utter lack of respect is outrageous. Dozens of times I have seen people (mostly women) open their back seat car door, slam it against the car next to them, then proceed to put groceries or a baby into the back seat while their over sized behind pushes their door furthur into the car next to them. It is actually mind boggling, how much lack of respect, common courtesy and common sense goes on when it comes to this. Could very well be my biggest pet peeve. Ever.
I found this hidden camera video of your car. Sorry bro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PABVNnVJoVg

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry Joe, it happens to the best of us!!

Chris that is sooooo true man, thanks for the laugh!!

I will tell you guys a small story. I had Travis out removing dings in our vehicles last summer. Well he finished Joyces Jag and away shopping she went. Came home with not 1 but 2 dings, 3 hours after Travis just removed (and left) later! Talk about being pissed!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hey Joe, I have had 2 dings in Joyces hood removed by way of PDR. Travis my PDR is the best!!! MAKE sure you tell what ever PDR company you choose that the hood is aluminum and you want their most experienced guy!!!

vance850, aluminum is actually harder to remove dings from, though it is softer than metal it doesn't have the "memory" that steel has, which makes it a bitch to remove the dings.
Cool good to know I wasnt sure if the softness was gonna make it harder or easier to do it.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM

LOL, yep pretty much sums it up...god help the person I find slamming their car door into mine...

Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Sorry Joe, it happens to the best of us!!

Chris that is sooooo true man, thanks for the laugh!!

I will tell you guys a small story. I had Travis out removing dings in our vehicles last summer. Well he finished Joyces Jag and away shopping she went. Came home with not 1 but 2 dings, 3 hours after Travis just removed (and left) later! Talk about being pissed!
Oh man Rick that's terrible! I need a "Travis" around these parts, gonna start searching. The guy I had do my FX45 did an ok job but I wouldn't call on him again.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I feel just as strongly as Bull concerning door dings and imbeciles who have no respect for other vehicles in parking lots (in my experience, I agree that they are overwhelmingly female). I always park in the most remote section of any parking lot regardless of which vehicle I'm driving. If my wife is with me, I let her out at the front door of the establishment before I go hide the vehicle. Unfortunately, my wife is not as dedicated to this philosophy as I am even after decades of ripping her for coming home with dings (although I do acknowledge that she is somewhat better about remote parking than she used to be). As a result, her RX330 has acquired a couple of small dings over the years. I have not addressed them other than to keep wax on them. Remarkably, there's not a single flaw on the S-Type although she treats it the same way as her RX. Of course, now that I've said that she'll be coming home with a door ding or two on the S-Type by the end of the month....

Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Jon you just jinxed yourself man...mine was also prestine, not ONE ding until the small tragedy that occured within the last month or two...

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I used "Dent King repair kit" found at the Advanced Autoparts store. It works pretty good, just have to be very careful on how you use it. Its fairly ease to use, google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I took out a few dents from the doors and hood. Its not perfect sometimes but it reduces the severity look of the dent a lot.

Good Luck.