S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY ~ S type How to pull out / remove your 4.0 Engine and Transmission HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink DIY ~ S type How to pull out / remove your 4.0 Engine and Transmission HOW TO

Hey team, it’s just me TDC with another DIY thread, this time I’m going to walk you all threw all of the steps that it takes to pull your motor and transmission out of your car. Short back story. I blew up my motor a few months ago, well that is to say that it seized up on me and I ended up parking it and forgetting about it for a few months.

Well now that I have a little money to throw at it, I needed to pull the motor out of the car and mount in on the engine stand, flip it over and see what exactly what happened to it and what I’ll need to do to fix it.

My initial thought / hope was to just leave the trans in car and just pull the motor itself unfortunately I was unable to gain access to all of the bell housing bolts so I decided to just pull the motor and trans out all as one unit.

Thank you for your time and I hope you find this information helpful.

TDC

Safety first, I started by jacking up the car and installing jack stands all around, this was done to gain access to the underside of car and the jack stand were to ensure that the car wouldn’t fall down on me.

Once the car was properly secured, I proceeded to remove the following engine items:
:
1. Disconnected the battery
2. Taking a good look at the motor before I start

3. Drained the motor oil
4. Drained the power steering pump and reservoir
5. Removed the radiator and removed all applicable hoses

6. Removed the serpentine belt

Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 AM
tdc

1. Removed all of the pulleys

2. Removed the AC pump
3. Removed the power steering pump

4. Removed the AC & power steering pump bracket

5. Removed the alternator and alternator bracket

Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
tdc

1. Disconnected all of the wiring harness from the motor
2. Disconnected any and all fuel line
3. Disconnected the

Once the motor was ready, I proceeded in prepping the transmission for removal:
1. I drained the transmission pan

2. I disconnected the front of the drive shaft, to do this I removed the flex bushing and pushed the drive shaft towards the rear of the car

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
tdc

1. I disconnected all of the exhaust sensors

2. I disconnected the transmission linkage

3. I disconnected the all of the applicable wiring harness

There were also several connectors attached to the transmission that need to be unplugged, but I didn’t take any pic of them sorry guys..

4. I disconnected all of the transmission cooling lines

Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 AM
tdc

1. I disconnected the transmission from its mount, but I didn’t remove the main transmission mounting bracket.

Once all of the major disconnecting was completed in regards to the motor and transmission I was ready to prep the car for the removal.

I removed the windshield wipers, cover and I removed the rear cross bar

I removed the rear main wiring harness from the motor, this stays with the car

(See/More pictures of this once the motor is pulled)

Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 AM
tdc

I disconnected the hood shocks from the hood

I removed the hood

I removed / unbolted the rack and pinion steering from the front end and let it hang down under the cross member (See/More pictures of this once the motor is pulled)

I was now in my final prep stage and I know that I would have the motor and trans out in the next hour.

I then proceeded to remove all of the jack stands and lower the car back on the ground, I then supported the rear of the transmission and removed the main trans mission mount from the frame. Sorry no pictures of this.. My bad..

I then got the cherry picker in position and installed the chains on the motor. I used the big bolt out of the rear of the block just below heads as my rear pull area and I used the front area on the block as my front pull area.

Once the chains were installed I then removed the front motor mounts and proceeded to pull out the motor and transmission.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
tdc

So after a few moments of raising out the motor and trans it was all complete..

Here you can see all of the bolts holding on the bell housing and why I couldn’t remove just the engine

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 AM
tdc

And here is my project as it currently sits.

Well team, that’s my thread, I hope that this information can help someone out there.

Thank you all for your time and have a great day everyone

Tdc..

The following 5 users liked this post by tdc:
Billy 791 (05-13-2023), joycesjag (12-08-2011), Michael Star (12-08-2011), Panthro (11-08-2012), plums (10-01-2012)
Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Wow. Needs to be FAQ - if only for the photos! (Surely it's not going to be "frequently" asked how to do this LOL)

I'm impressed.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I agree John useful info for those that need it.

Tdc I'm impressed you took the time for all the pictures while in the middle of pulling the engine, what's next, are you going to rebuild it or switch it out?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

tdc, welcome back buddy!

I had wondered what your decision was going to be with your baby!

As stated above, thank you for taking the time to post write up and pics.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I concur, very impressive. I have neither the tools nor the expertise to undertake such a project, but I look forward to following your rebuild thread. Always enjoy learning what I can from those with these advanced skill sets....

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

teriffic post. thank you. hope i never have to use it on my 4.0

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Any idea why the engine locked up?? It does not happen often. The age of your car I would expect timing chain tensioner failures.

Also thanks for proving the P/S pump can be removed without jacking up the engine. I may need to replace the P/S pump on my 2005 STR and the JTIS says I need to unbolt the engine and raise it up to remove the P/S pump. My Lincoln LS shop manual says you can remove it without raising the engine so I was thinking it was possible.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,480 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Beautiful countryside to do your work. Is that Orange County. Looks like the hills of the northern part.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM
tdc

Originally Posted by JagV8
Wow. Needs to be FAQ - if only for the photos! (Surely it's not going to be "frequently" asked how to do this LOL)
Originally Posted by JagV8
I'm impressed.
Well thank you sir.. Hopefully no one will ever need this information, but just incase.. hahahaa..
Thank you again for the kind words..
Tdc.

Originally Posted by Norri
I agree John useful info for those that need it.
Originally Posted by Norri
Tdc I'm impressed you took the time for all the pictures while in the middle of pulling the engine, what's next, are you going to rebuild it or switch it out?
Thank you Norri..

Well I actually like taking tons of pic's, it not only helps others, but it also helps me remember where things go back.. LOL..

I don’t know yet... I'm going to pull the oil pan off and see what it looks like.. if i seized a rod or main bearing then yeah I'll rebuild her. with tons of pics if I ended up with something worse, well then I just might buy a crate motor and move on with life.. Either way she be back on the road within the next month or two..

Thank you again for your time and I'll post pics of what i find..
Have a great one

Tdc

Originally Posted by joycesjag
tdc, welcome back buddy!
Originally Posted by joycesjag
I had wondered what your decision was going to be with your baby!
As stated above, thank you for taking the time to post write up and pics.
Rick it’s GREAT to hear from you sir.. I see that they wised up and made you a Mode.. Congrads sir.. well-deserved in my opinion..

Your more than welcome sir.. but between us, the real fun is yet to begin.. Once I find out what went wrong, then the fun begins.. I've rebuilt tons of Chevy 327, 350, ect.. But never a Jag motor.. hahha so you know I'm looking forward to the challenge.. Either way it should be a fun journey and of course I'll post tons of pics along the way..

Thank you again for your time Rick and the warm welcome back..

Have a great weekend big guy.

Shaun

Originally Posted by Jon89
I concur, very impressive. I have neither the tools nor the expertise to undertake such a project, but I look forward to following your rebuild thread. Always enjoy learning what I can from those with these advanced skill sets....

Thank you Jon, but I'm really not worthy of your kind words... My father has been a mechanic his whole life and well I knew how to rebuild motors at 12 and at 15 I was rebuilding transmissions.

I'm 45 now, so to me it’s just a day away from the wife and getting dirty. LOL... it's really not hard and didn’t take any special tools, so I feel bad / not worthy for you kind words..

But I will thank you, thank you for your time in reviewing this thread and again your extremely kind words.

Have a great one sir... My rebuild thread should be a fun one as noted above I've never rebuilt a jag motor so good times ahead.

Tdc..

Originally Posted by Dale57
teriffic post. thank you. hope i never have to use it on my 4.0

Thank you Dale.. That’s extremely kind of you to say.. yes... Lets hope that you never have to use this thread.. hahahhaa..

Have a great one sir and thank you again for your time

Tdc.

Originally Posted by tbird6
Any idea why the engine locked up?? It does not happen often. The age of your car I would expect timing chain tensioner failures.
Originally Posted by tbird6

Also thanks for proving the P/S pump can be removed without jacking up the engine. I may need to replace the P/S pump on my 2005 STR and the JTIS says I need to unbolt the engine and raise it up to remove the P/S pump. My Lincoln LS shop manual says you can remove it without raising the engine so I was thinking it was possible.

Well I’m pretty sure that my seized my main or rod bearings, of course I won’t know for sure until I take look at the underneath, but that’s my thought.. It defiantly has nothing to do with my timing, I checked that before I pulled the motor.. I’m assuming that my oil pump went out. I’ll post pics of whatever it is thou..

No worries, and Yep you do not have to raise the motor to pull out your PS pump, that I’m 100% sure of..

Well best of luck with your future projects and thank you again for your time sir

Tdc..

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Beautiful countryside to do your work. Is that Orange County. Looks like the hills of the northern part.

My bad, I need to update my location. I recently purchased 7 achers in Petaluma, - Nor-Cal so that's what you see.. It's nice to be out of So-Cal, I have 4 neighbors in eye sight view.. and two of them have their own shooting range in their back yards.. Yeah I’m going to like it here in the county..

Have a great one
Tdc..

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-04-2012)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awsome post that I pray I never need.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thankyou................thankyou thankyou thankyou. i'm about to start this very job and was looking at it today, i got as far as finding a broke valve and was thinking removing heads insitu but now realize the engine has to come out then after 15 minutes of working thought I bet it's easier to pull the trans at the same time. And low and behold your there already. Time to powerwash the mounts and pumps and then start removing the engine/trans. One quick question, with the pulleys removed and the oil filter/pump removed do you think the 3 radiators could stay there with the fan. that lot looks more complicated than anything else.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  19.3 KB

TDC - Thats one great post, crammed full of pictorial info, a really cool HOW TO.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Your humble attitude and respectful ways brought a smile to my face.

Thanks again

The following users liked this post:
newbeginnings (03-15-2013)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Yes Jim tdc was a helpful and very friendly member! Luck just hqsn't been on his side and his S Type has been shelved for awhile.

Hopefully he will return to his posting soon!

Quick Reply: DIY ~ S type How to pull out / remove your 4.0 Engine and Transmission HOW TO