S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 s type key NOT working ! help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default '05 s type key NOT working ! help

hey guys .. I have a 2005 s type , just bought it from auction , it only came with a simple key looks like it may have a transponder chip NOT fob remote .
I had the car towed to my house ... so I was aware it may have issues
how do I know if key transponder NOT working ,, what does the PATS security light looks like.. and finally any online source where I can order a programmed fob key that will work ?
I'm hoping I don't have to tow car to dealer !! thanks

Old 11-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Search will get you info on all your post.

Dealer only, generally speaking.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Search in your area for a locksmith that has and can program a "Tibbe" key. You may get lucky.

The following users liked this post:
jaimster (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

This forum has owners manuals and other docs posted up in the "Stickies" section that might help you understand your car. May I suggest you find them and look for answers to some of your questions there.

Section 2-2 of my '03 Owners Manual describes the 3 types of keys: FOB type, black headed, and green headed. It may be different for the '05 cars, but if your key is green then it might be a valet key designed to keep inquisitive valets out of your glove box and boot.

There's a wealth of info in the Stickies, so check there and download as much as you need...it's all free thanks to the generous members of this forum.

The following users liked this post:
jaimster (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 for advice by [Jumpin' Jag Flash] . . . as good mate Steve suggests, given the breadth of questions you have of your "auction bargain", you really must invest time to download a "kitbag" of resources . . . use the forum's Search tools . . . and get reading.

Congratulations, by the way, on your choice of the S-Type as a project car. Suggest you delve deep, fixing one issue at a time . . . and I agree, having a full set of keys (don't settle for less) is a great place to start (pun intended). You sound both enthusiastic and determined . . . not just admirable, but essential.

So, [jaimster] we encourage you in your quest and we remain happy to help . . . but the investment you need to make will reward you with knowledge, skills and pride that you have developed yourself.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
jaimster (11-22-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

appreciate the advice and encouragement guys! yes it is a project and challenge NOW..
I have resolved the key issue ..As It turns out key that I got with the car its the right key.
what I m dealing its rough idling .. lots of white smoke vapor like from exhaust -- hoping its not blown head gasket ,, I pulled lot of codes with my scanner which I posted on another thread . plan; get new spark plugs , plenum intake gasket , coils , oil change with filter .

oh yea ! cat_as_trophy any chance I get I m educating my self reading on the Car,
wise words Gracias..

Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Great to hear!

I sensed you were someone to encourage - an enthusiast needing direction. There is a lot worth learning on our gorgeous S-Types, and help is always here. Perhaps the following process will help -
  • identify the problem or task - critical, so be logical and accurate;
  • research - manuals, JF search tools, read, ask questions when unsure;
  • plan the job - order parts, note the steps, any references needed etc;
  • do the job - tackle one job at a time and complete each in turn;
  • document - brief notes, pics of tricky or critical bits . . . store them.
Above all, be a participating JF member - keep posting, share pictures of your DIY work on your S-Type, thank and encourage others in turn.

Best wishes,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
jaimster (11-27-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-23-2016)