S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Take a deep breath bull, i'd give the dealer a chance to make things right. They have fessed up on the install, and are continuing to work with you which is a good sign. I understand the limp 'potential' is always going to be there, in the back of your mind, and I would be cautious for the first few hundred miles on the freeways, staying close to a shoulder until you can gain confidence that the issue has been resolved. Then, you must have faith.

Now, if you get it back, with a green light from the dealer that all is well, and it does it again, i'd sell the car back to the dealer. By then, you'll never be able to trust it again. Have them trade it for another STR, even if they have to find another one across the country. They'll most likely work with you if you are staying with the brand and model.

Will continue to follow you and speedcine's progress on this thread w/ interest.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Got the car back today, receipt from the dealer says

"869997 Connect PDU/WDS/IDS for download capture, application and transmission of data"

"709136 Recaliberate Electric Park Brake Module, Replaced and Programmed New Park Brake Module"

I spoke with the technician over there and they did admit, again, that they did not install the throttle body correctly. He said that the "Pins" or connectors still had corrosion on them, and they had to clean all of the connectors then lace them up with silicone. On top of that he said they didnt "snap" it in correctly. Whatever that means. Obviously moisture was gettign in there. He attributes the throttle body issue to the Limp Home Mode, not the parking brake module. I am going to drive it as much as possible locally to see if it comes back. Any thoughts???

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Did they explain to you where the moisture supposedly getting into the throttle body was coming from? Was it simply rainfall? Had you recently washed the car? Had you recently washed the engine bay?

I decided months ago that I will never wash the engine bay of our S-Type after reading about all the electrical problems that owners (and even a Jaguar tech) have had after washing their engines. This is the first vehicle I've owned in nearly 40 years of driving that will never get its engine bay washed....

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM

He didnt explain that to me, probably should have asked. It was raining both times this happened though, and both instances highway driving was involved. No clue if it was directly from the water or just the faulty throttle body connection or both.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vette71
I had the same experience on my 03 STR. Dampness on the throttle body connector will cause this condition. I taped over the connector so moisture cannot get to it and the problem has not come back
Vette,
Can you show us a picture of exactly where you put the tape? I'd like to find this connector and use some preventative maintenance. Does anybody have a service manual pic of this assembly? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM

American, I would try and use some silicone, apparently the Jag tech actually did some research on this topic after I brought it in for the 2nd time and that is what Jaguar suggests their techs to do. I would think it would be more of a permenant fix?? My $.02

Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
American, I would try and use some silicone, apparently the Jag tech actually did some research on this topic after I brought it in for the 2nd time and that is what Jaguar suggests their techs to do. I would think it would be more of a permenant fix?? My $.02
Thanks man. As soon as I can familiarize myself with the underpinnings I'll do just that. Lots of people prefer duct tape for everything but I'm the silicone glue guy. I'd build a car out of it if I could.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM

HAha, ya that silicone is some good sh*t, I find myself snacking on it as a midnight snack sometimes..

Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Was it sorted

Hi Bull27 I have the same problem as you with my 2003 Xj8 been reading through the threads did your end solution work? is the car now oK? thanks

Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Yes a compete throttle body replacement fixed the problem. Let us know how it goes, good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Bull27 .....Thank you. I shall be off to the garage today armed with data

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Good luck man, let me know how it goes. Make sure they thoroughly clean any corrosion that is on the connections and seal it up good with silicone or something to that effect. Since its not under warranty, I have heard that it is possible to just have the connections cleaned and sealed so no moisture can get in there. You may want to try that first. BUT moisture getting into throttle body seems to be the culprit, throwing off all kinds of codes.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I agree with Americain, could someone post pics of the connections? As I am a laymen wrencher. I would like to do some preventative maint as well.
Thank you gentlemen

Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Guess what, you were right my throttle is well and truely broken so that is being replaced. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM

This problem seems WAY to common (and dangerous), not to have a recall in place. Seems as though it is not only STypes, but XK's and XJ's as well. I would definately suggest preventative maint. When it does happen, it is very dangerous.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longwalk2006
Guess what, you were right my throttle is well and truely broken so that is being replaced. Thanks again!
Do you have an aftermarket warranty or do you have to cover the costs? I believe mine came to $1400 w/labor.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Having recent knowledge of the sensitivity of these S-Type throttle bodies triggering the Limp Mode failure (happened to my wife back in mid-May as some of you already know), I decided to spend some time perusing my JTIS CD this morning to see what sort of inside information Jaguar provides its technicians for dealing with this problem. My CD covers the 1999-2004 model years, but I would assume that the vast majority of its information also applies to the 2005-2008 model years as well....

After spending an hour or so finding and then paging through and reading the OBDII Trouble Code charts pertaining to the S-Type fuel system, it became apparent that more than 10 different codes can point to various components within the throttle body and its various motors and sensors. The JTIS service recommendation for the majority of these codes is simply to replace the entire throttle body assembly and not to spend time attempting to diagnose the problem down to the nth degree. I didn't expect that - I thought that step-by-step diagnostic processes would be provided for testing each and every individual sensor or motor or valve. But no - just replace the entire throttle body assembly, it says....

Here's something else I found in the JTIS documentation when I went looking for the official Jaguar process on how the throttle body assembly should be cleaned. This is quoted verbatim from the JTIS CD: "Do not attempt to clean the throttle body. The bore and throttle plate have a special coating applied during manufacture which should not be removed."

Never heard of the approach of just discarding an entire throttle body assembly until the recent experience with our S-Type. With all of our other vehicles, it has always been recommended that you clean the throttle body and sometimes the idle air control valve (IACV) after a certain mileage (often 60,000 or 90,000 miles) in order to remove oil deposits or carbon deposits or both. And when I've done this in the past to our other vehicles, they immediately run much better with a smoother idle, faster acceleration, and often improved gas mileage. But Jaguar tells its techs on this JTIS CD "no, don't clean it, you'll ruin it, just replace it". A mighty expensive repair for the owner if he/she is out of warranty....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-06-2009 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-09-2016)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

ut oh......back when I had issues with the oil leaks, when I had the intake off I noticed a large amount of carbon in the throttle body. Guess what I grabbed and did. That was 2,000 miles ago and 4 and half monthes ago. I am going to have to check the throttle body. (no issues as of yet!!) FYI

Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
HAha, ya that silicone is some good sh*t, I find myself snacking on it as a midnight snack sometimes..
wifey have a boob job? sorry bull I couldn't resist

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

joycesjag,

I think your throttle body will be okay if it hasn't coughed up any codes by now. I was talking with the service manager at our Jaguar dealership this morning and mentioned this "never clean the throttle body" instruction from my JTIS CD to him. He admitted that they do indeed clean their customers' throttle bodies when necessary, but he didn't tell me what they used to do so. What product did you use?

Last edited by Jon89; 07-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!