S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!

Hey all, I am new to the Jag community coming from a Porshe and an Infinit FX45. I recently bought an 05 black SType R and had a serious issue last night.

Crusing home on the highway going about 70MPH, not accelerating nor coasting, just maintaining speed. The engine basically shut down, and I had to pull onto the shoulder, it was very dangerous and frankly, it freaked me out. While on the side of the road I realized that it was idling at about 1100 rpm's, barely moved even thought the accelerator was depressed to the floor, engine light on, as well as "engine systems fault, parkbrake fault, dsc not available" showing up on the dash. I restarted the car about 4-5 times and it eventually got out of "safe mode", I am assuming, but the check engine light remained on. It returned to regular idle and actually drove. Regardless I got it towed to my house because I didnt want to chance it. When it arrived, i got back in the car, started it up and not only did it start up and drive normal, but there was NO check engine light whatsoever. I am very perplexed that a car would just shut down on the highway, put itself into "Limp Mode" and be absolutely fine a half hour later. Does not make sense to me AT ALL! I called Jaguar and they have no clue, they just told me to bring it in. It just came off of warrenty so If at all possible I am hoping you guys can help me out. NOTE: it was raining lightly last night, didnt hit a big puddle or anything, but it had been raining all day.

Thanks for any and all information in advance!

Joe

Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a TSB out about the electronic parking brake randomly engaging while driving.. There's a recall on the module and you have to get it replaced at the dealer (for free). Idk if it applies to 05's, but I know I had to have this done on my car.. *could* possibly be your problem.. Eric

Last edited by whiteSTR; 03-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bull27, that has happened to me twice in the past 3 years i dont have an r just v8. But the same problem you explained the problem goes away after you disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least 15minutes and it goes away like it never happened.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am going to have it checked out tommorow to see what the deal is. Now my fiance' is all freaked out and thinks the car can and will die on her at any given moment. If this doesnt end up being a serious issue, it sure is a little ridiculous that the car would just shut down like that. I mean if it was anytime other than late Sunday night, it would have been a nightmare trying to get over from the fast lane to the breakdown lane with complete loss of power! I have gotten suggestions ranging all over the board from multiple sources that I have spoken with. These include fuel air mixture, throttle body, water leaking into throttle body, water coming into intake, vacuum hose etc.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same experience on my 03 STR. Dampness on the throttle body connector will cause this condition. I taped over the connector so moisture cannot get to it and the problem has not come back

Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM

What code will I be getting if it is fact the throttle body getting damp, or will I even be getting a code for that? What kind of tape did you use and where can I find out where it is located? Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the code was p0120 or p0122. I used black electrical tape. The problem has not come back for about a year now, and it happened three times over 10 days.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Ok so got in the car this morning, after it running fine for a day or so, and the park brake was fully engaged and would not come off, giving me a "parkbrake fault", and "unable to use park brake" (or something like that) warning. No check engine light, just the parking brake being completely locked up.

Towed it to the place i bought it from and it came up as a TPS sensor. He is dropping it off at Jaguar tommorow morning to get fixed. Could this "TPS Sensor: really cause all of these random acts? Thanks

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

what's TPS stand for?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Thottle Position Sensor, I am assuming it is in the throttle body.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bull27: This just occured to me today. 7 times within 60 miles. What was the final diagnosis for causing this problem and the fix? I just picked up my vehicle from the dealer for other work. However I live over 1 hour from them. I'm seeing if there I can remedy here than to take back to the dealer.

thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM

I believe the answer may be a yes, had the same kind of issue a couple years ago, went into limp home mode while I was driving, eventually came out, park brake fault etc., had to get it towed. In my case it turns out there was a recall that they performed with the sensor and it was not performed correctly, I cant remember all the details but effectively they said a hole was poked in the sensor or something along those lines and eventually due to the rain (all day the car sat outside, rained hard) it caused the sensor to shut the car down etc. Dealer fixed it all due to the faulty recall work, they said it has happened before because the instructions given in the recall weren't the best I guess and could be misinterpreted. I am sure this story doesnt sound entirely accurate to a tech out there, but its the best I can remember without pulling the paperwork and its what the dealer told me, it was over three years ago...bottom line didnt cost me anything and never happened again...

Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back, was in the Dominican Rep. The dealer replaced the throttle body assembly. The problem has not happened since. I looked at the invoice, thank god I didnt have to pay it, but it was around $1500. How did you make out?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Default here we go again

Bad news, the problem has come back, same alerts, engine systems fault, park brake fault, dsc not available, thrown into limp mode. Pulling codes 2135, 1111, 2118. With the throttle body already replaced, I have no idea what needs to be done to resolve this now, possibly the pedal position sensor? Any ideas? Thanks

Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Vehicle is repaired according the the SA. Replaced Mass Airflow Sensor (Meter) and Throttle Position Sensor. However I have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet and cannot be sure what was exactly replaced or repaired. I'll update when I do.

Bull27: Did you perform the JT-04 ECM (ECU) update? This was a emissions related reflash. The "limp" mode problems occured after I did mine.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Veteran member

Put the ECM in line next Bull.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM

H20, what exactly does ecm mean and do? My problem is that I live in Boston and stuck in upstate NY. I can only being it back to dealer I bought it from to get repaired. I want to provide them with as much information as possible so they can make a correct fix. They clearly misdiagnosed it the first time.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

engine control module bull, i've read either in the xk8/r forum or the xj8/r (same engine) where an ecm had an electrical short or something in the internals fry, and the owner got it rebuilt and solved his mysterious 'engine died at highway speeds' problem. Only difference is his died entirely, not just limp mode. It may not be related at all, but at least dealer can diagnose pretty easily, maybe even swap w/ a good one and test it out. First check the items speedcine suggested, this is just another wild *** guess. Keep us updated!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Recieved the S-Type today. Servicing dealer returned with this diagnosis and fix. Codes P2135 and P0101. Replaced the throttle body and mass air flow sensor. List price for the parts were: throttle body at $725+, and air mass sensor at $125+. Quite pricey. Drove appx. 70 miles and did not have any problems.

Bull27: What was the diagnosis for your new codes?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 AM

So the guy at the Jag dealer admitted that they messed up installing the throttle body, said they didnt "install" or "snap' it in correctly. That was for the 2135 code, the other ones I guess is the "Parking Brake Control Module", which they ordered and will be replacing free of charge. No idea what this part does, and what kind of problems it causes when it needs replacing. I am just very skeptical at this point on whether they actually know what they are doing or not. Even though I dont have to pay for it I am A) still out a car for another week, and B) Limp Home Mode is very dangerous on the highway which makes me very nervous that it will return. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I am beyond aggravated at this point. Thanks -Joe

Quick Reply: 05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!