S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR thrown into limp mode on highway HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, please excuse the fact that not only am i new here but know nothing about cars.

I purchased 2003 S-Type 3.0L SE about 6-7 years ago i guess, has generally been fine but with occasional 'restricted performance' messages.
On occasion these have been cleared at a local garage and been attributed to faulty connection on a 'knock' sensor - possibly.
Anyway, the message re-appeared about 3 days ago and as always is intermittment but a little more persistent this time. Yesterday a new message appeared stating "gearbox fault" c. 140,000 miles.
I am thinking / hoping that this is simply another indication of faulty connections/sensors and not something more worrying. It seems that i should know more about cars than i do or simply take to a garage - however current dire financial situation means i cannot replace or even afford costly repairs.

Can anyone suggest any logical link between the two issues appearing simultaneously?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

We have seen people with that so many times! Usually a failing or flattish battery. One of the cheapest fixes there is if you DIY, really.

Get ready for any other problems by getting a cheap OBD tool like an elm327 (ebay etc) as they start from about a tenner and save a costly trip to a garage.

I expect your IMT O-rings need fixing - see FAQs/stickies.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the above response, i used a ELM327 unit and, long story cut short, i found that the breather pipe was completely corroded. (c. 3 inch, 20 degree angle) connecting the manifold to who-knows-what? (yes i really know that little)

Following advice and seeing no reason not to, i then disconnected the battery for an hour.

The restricted performance, and perhaps more importantly, gearbox fault have cleared... i now have an exciting new message stating that the "park brake" is faulty.

Not ideal but personally i see that as progress ;-)

Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I hope you mended it (& with no air leaks)!

That message is very often a flattish or old battery. Maybe try a 12-hour charge, else may need to replace.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Thanks "JagV8" - regards the pipe/hose i was a tad concerned when i learned it would likely be a 'main dealer part' but one visit to Stratstone and £3.46+VAT later all was good.

Battery... Parkbrake message gone. Did have 'front indicator bulb failed' message for a moment but that's also gone (and bulb no problem) and now have 'ABS Fault' 'DSC not available' as an alternative - have seen on occasion over the last year or two but tends to go away on it's own.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 AM

Of course, on the positive side - i am pretty confident that all of my warning bulbs / messages work ;-)

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone,
I have a 2007 XK that has recently experienced most, if not all, the problems discussed here. My independent Jag teck. checked for codes and his computer spit out over 8 or 9 codes. Since he has become a friend of mine (has worked on my past Jags.) he doesn't simply replace parts until something corrects the issue at hand, he mentioned that my current problem could be caused by several things... one is a "throttle body" issue.

Because I can't seem to find anything more current than this thread, can anyone report how their "throttle body" issues were fixed?

Thanks a million.

Jagjeep

Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjeep

Because I can't seem to find anything more current than this thread, can anyone report how their "throttle body" issues were fixed?

Thanks a million.

Jagjeep
It's unlikely that fixes for an S-type will also work on an XK- they're very different vehicles.

Might want to start a new thread in the XK section specifying ALL the codes found.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjeep
Everyone,
I have a 2007 XK that has recently experienced most, if not all, the problems discussed here. My independent Jag teck. checked for codes and his computer spit out over 8 or 9 codes. Since he has become a friend of mine (has worked on my past Jags.) he doesn't simply replace parts until something corrects the issue at hand, he mentioned that my current problem could be caused by several things... one is a "throttle body" issue.

Thanks a million.

Jagjeep
As mikey stated this is the rong forum for your car , and would be best to start a thread in xk/xkr area , and you realy do need to provide the codes for acurate help , get your self a code reader for obd2 , it will be priceless to you . And thay are cheep I.e (elm327), it does sound like a battery issue with 8-9 codes though , and although the T/B and many other parts are the same between a few of the models , it doesn't Aways pay off to try and pin point issues Espeshaly electrical ones across differant car platforms . My STR had the same message and Christmas tree when I bought the car , and the only code was in relation to the throttle peddle position senser and the fault was not the peddle position senser
it was water in the throttle body's TPS plug , so have a open mind when chasing issues , and if not use the codes as clues not gospel! Any way start by testing battery for pre start volts with egnition on and cold cranking amps (cca)