S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Updated Nav DVD WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 08 Updated Nav DVD WTF!

Hey guys, I have an early model 05 STR with DVD Nav. When you put on the "logo screen", it is green. I know some newer ones are black. I have read varying posts on this and other sites about updating the Nav disc. Some say that it needs a firmware upgrade which is found on the 06 disc not the 08-09 disc, some say the 08-09 disc will work just fine without having to do anything else. Does anyone know the actual answer? I am getting "Reading DVD....please wait". I have waited and waited but nothing happens. Pretty frustrating seeing as I spent alot of money on it, ordered direct from NavTech, and they do not accept returns if the package is open. Any ideas? Thanks in advance -Joe

Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I upgraded my nav DVD with the 08/09 Navteq disk. It was replacing the original DVD in my 03 STR. It took a while to load with the same message you are getting. You have to let it load without interruption. If you interrupted the install before completion this could be your problem. My screen is now black as it was before the upgrade.

It is a significant upgrade as now I have all the rural roads in Canada which I did not have on the old DVD. I assume the DVD ya got was for North America (USA & Canada) as mine was. Works flawlessly...

The cost was $199US and worth every penny. If you are having problems contact Navteq and run the flag up the pole and see who salutes.

Good Luck...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I've heard mixed things on this topic as well.. Some say that the new DVD's have the firmware update built in, and others say you have to take it to the dealer to have it done. The only thing that is weird is that you have a green logo screen? I thought they changed it to black a long long time ago? I could be wrong, but I though this was changed like before 03'.. what does your old disc say on it if you had one?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Dont have the old disc, didnt bother having the dealer get it for me seeing as i knew i would be buying the upgraded one as soon as i bought it. I will check again, but I am almost positive that when i press "logo screen" it is a green background. I will check now and get back. I have also found nothing but contraditory, confusing information on this topic. Hopefully I can figure this out and get everyone a straight answer. I am going to leave my car on for an hour to see if it will load.

SeaRanch, how long did you keep your disc in there before the "reading dvd" went away?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM

Oh and the DVD is Jaguar part No. 6W83-10E898-BE, DENSO Part No. 104632-9231, USA and Canada 2008-09

Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the only thing I can recall is that when I accidentally erased the firmware update on my car it went to a green logo screen. ( I was playing around in the dealer diagnostic menu's and screwed my car up royally) If I recall correctly there is a different disc called the "Firmware Update CD" which I was trying to buy, but no one would sell me because without a dealer computer with IDS I would not have been able to install it anyways.. So I'm thinking you'll have to take her in for a dealer update. Once you have the system firmware updated any of the newer discs should work, but I think that's where yours is getting stuck. Eric

(And the new 2008-2009 disc, which I have also, should only take 10 minutes or so to load.. if it takes more than 30, it probably is not going to work.)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM

Ok thanks, I spoke with the dealer today "Norwood, Mass' and they said there is no firmware and it should just be a "plug and play" type situation, but I am sure you are right on this seeing as you went through it. I just didnt want to deal with them playing the whole "you need a new Nav system" game. What is IDS?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Integrated Diagnostic System

There is a firmware disc, I almost bought one.. but if you find a knowledgable dealer technician they will know about it.. It only takes like 15-30 minutes to install if memory serves me correctly.. Just good luck finding a dealer who won't try to sell you a $3,500+ new Nav unit, because that's *exactly* what they did to me when I took it to the first dealership.. They even felt bad for me so they knocked %10 off and told me $3,250 hahahahaha.. If you have no luck with your local dealers I use Jaguar Ft. Pierce, Florida.. I praise them as the most knowledgeable, friendliest, and most honest dealer I have ever gone to.. They even programed my new remotes I bought on eBay for free.. Call them and tell them your having trouble finding someone to perform the firmware update and they'll call another dealer and explain it to them.. Just don't say I sent you.. Eric

Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

OR I'm sure BRUTAL, JTO, FJT, or one of our other outstanding techs on site could steer you in the right direction.. You may just have to wait a bit for them to chime in.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks Eric, you have been extremely helpful and i appreciate it. I ran my car for an hour with the DVD loading but no luck. Still says "Reading DVD". Haha I am just going to have to tell them right when I walk in that I WILL NOT pay for a new Nav if they think thats what it is, even if they give me 75% off! I am also thinking of running one of those cleaning DVD's through there to see if that helps. Bad move/good move? I am also extremely perplexed about the green logo screen, I swear nothing is simple, or should I say remotely simple with this car. I cant even find wiper blades that fit the freaking adapters with the washers on them. Again, thanks for all your help. -Joe

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Cool

Before ya go to the dealer call the Customer Service Center at Navteq:

US & Canada: +1 866 4NAVTEQ (+1 866 462 8837)

The update DVD for an 05 is exactly the same as for an 03. The firmware is on the updated DVD for your Denso reader. Call 'em before ya go bangin' on a dealer...

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Oh and the DVD is Jaguar part No. 6W83-10E898-BE, DENSO Part No. 104632-9231, USA and Canada 2008-09
This is the wrong part number for 08 and 09 I believe. It should end in BH as the very last letter denotes what update year the disc is, according to Jaguars update ordering website

I doubt this has to do with your problem though

PS Searanch: im probably going to try out your brakeperformance.com, i hope they are as good as you say check out my thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM

Called Navtech she said they messed up and sent me the wrong disc, you are right, it should have ended in BH but mine ended in BE. I have no clue what model the BE disc is for. She said that in would in fact resolve the problem and that mine cannot read the BE disc thats why it will not load. F'n ridiculous. I really hope this new one works. Thanks guys

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Wink

Called Navtech she said they messed up and sent me the wrong disc, you are right, it should have ended in BH but mine ended in BE. I have no clue what model the BE disc is for. She said that in would in fact resolve the problem and that mine cannot read the BE disc thats why it will not load. F'n ridiculous. I really hope this new one works. Thanks guys
Jaysus, I tell my wife something, then tell her what I told her and then repeat while waiting for the light bulb to go off...

Glad it worked out.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Ya, ya, figured they all had the same system, and that since I told her my EXACT model and year that it was the correct one. I would venture to say that if BMW745 didnt bring up the fact that the last 2 letters were incorrect, and I didnt explain this to the Navtech woman on the very first sentence on the phone, she would have NEVER figured it out.

We will see if this solves it.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Wink

Ya, ya, figured they all had the same system, and that since I told her my EXACT model and year that it was the correct one. I would venture to say that if BMW745 didnt bring up the fact that the last 2 letters were incorrect, and I didnt explain this to the Navtech woman on the very first sentence on the phone, she would have NEVER figured it out.

We will see if this solves it.
Next time order it online. Key in Make, Model and Year of Manufacture - that takes out the idiots aka human error. Unless of course if ya key it in wrong...

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Got the new disc today and...............loaded and worked perfectly. Took about 3 minutes to load, Nav is working fine, and the logo screen is now black. Thanks everyone and hope this helps anyone with similar issues.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what this DVD is for?

Jaguar navational DVD for USA 08-09

Jaguar part number 1x43-10E898-BH
DENSO part number 464110-7240

I'm curious if it will work in an 04 XJR, or is this the the XF, new XK dvd?

Rich

Last edited by Rich W; 08-05-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rich W
Does anyone know what this DVD is for?

Jaguar part number 1x43-10E898-BH
DENSO part number 464110-7240

I'm curious if it will work in an 04 XJR, or is this the the XF, new XK dvd?

Rich
I know BE will work on XK, and the BH works on S Type. I have 08-09 right now on my 05 STR. Thats all I got.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have that Green Screen on the NAV unit, I was lucky enough to be able to download the Ver 2008-2009 DVD from a torrent, burned the .iso file on a Dual Layer DVD-R placed it on my Nav unit it loaded the newest firmware for a couple of minutes then it reset itself, now I have a Black Screen with the Jaguar Logo, and the maps are newer I know because now my own home address is there, I check the version number and it indicates Ver.2008-2009. It took me 2 days to download that 7.62GB file but its well worth it.

Quick Reply: 08 Updated Nav DVD WTF!