S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S-type Transmission fault RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 S-type Transmission fault RESOLVED

Hi, great forum, love the support...here's my issue...

Bought a 2001 S-type this summer, absolutely LOVE it, wonderful car few minor problems...nothing real big...

Recently I have come to the midwest and the temperatures are much lower...

In the last week I have gotten the amber "Transmission fault" message on the dash AFTER the car has warmed up and driven more than a couple of miles...

Never shows up until engine temp is around half...

I have no slippage, no sluggish, no hard shifts either in town or on the highway...

I get absolutely NO OBDII code faults...I have tried several readers and have a third one coming via post just to make sure...

I will try to replace the fluid myself (I am pretty adept at both electrical and mechanical hands on)...

It is a 5R55N transmission and it has been computer has been flashed for the update (S139 enhancement sticker inside door)

SO my question is can I simply use a fully synthetic compatible fluid, and is there a process to "reset" the computer?

I did have a bit of weather trouble around thanksgiving where I got stuck in the snow/ice in the mountains and it took half an hour to get out...by rocking and shifting between forward/reverse, so it's possible that I have strained or perhaps even burnt the fluid, the car has over 148K miles on it and i have no idea when or if the fluid was ever changed before...it was pretty well maintained and driven "softly" by an elderly gentlemen whom I purchased it from...

Any ideas or information, advice would be truly appreciated, thanks-Mark

Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not all OBDII code readers can read all the proprietary Jaguar codes. I am sure replacing the trans fluid would not hurt but why do it twice. Take the car to a shop that can read the Jaguar codes and see what they come up with you will be happier in the long run.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

That era car does not have a separate trans computer. The PCM does engine+trans and it sounds like you do not have a code - I'm surprised so it's worth trying a jag tool in case you do.

But... first note that many codes take 2 trips (warm ups) to flag and of course if you clear the codes you're back to zero.

If filled correctly i.e. engine running etc, and if you cannot get any codes I suspect you're down to awkward troubleshooting - you want a trans shop or jag indy not a jag dealer (they tend to know very little about trans).

Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks so much for the replies, all under advisement...a short follow up question...the amber "Transmission Fault" warning, is it possible it is triggered by low levels of fluid, or is it only triggered by electronic issues/feedback sent from the solenoids/etc?

I seem to have read a few reports of chaps who have replaced/refilled transmission and made the warning go away and driven their cars without further issue...always hopeful for small fixes but not willing to ignore all possible outcomes...

This is my first Jag, I got it for a song (it had the dual ac issue, and the electronic trip computer needed a fix and the IMT O-rings replaced but thats it) and I frankly cannot se myself every buying a different make of car I love it...bit of a learning curve here...

(On a side note I think I was born on the wrong side of the Atlantic as I love all things British, currently I design and build British style pre-amps for recording)

Old 02-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I think we don't know for certain all the causes for that.

Low fluid is one, I believe.

So may be a stretched shifter cable. Sometimes they adjust, sometimes need replacing.

See what others say.

(Don't worry about the British thing - we Brits are using so much US stuff to more than counterbalance you!)

Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Thanks again, I am doing the fluid change today and will inspect the cable as well...should be a fun time for all...(except I am in freaking Oklahoma and its cold!)

Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes. First change the fluid and filter. Be SURE and get the fill level correct. I would just use the factory fluid as called out in your owners manual. It's not anything rare like what the 6 speed ZF unit calls for.

That transmission is known for valve body problems and also breaking springs inside the valve body. So be prepared that you might need to replace the valve body. It's about $350. Do not just start changing solenoids. A lot of people make that mistake.

With a transmission fault light there are codes and we need them!

Not sure why you can't read them but keep on trying because they are a requirement.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 AM

Took it to local autoshop, their code reader saw no codes as well...it read my car style and engine size and every thing else...I am going to check on the cable attachment issue...thanks again for all the replies so far, great forum!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would start by changing the fluid and the filter. I think that year 2001 models have a Ford automatic gearbox not ZF. Anyways, changing the fluid should do the trick if no codes are present.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Thanks again, I did change the fluid, but it looks like I will do it again this weekend...managed to drive a good half hour without the code, but intentionally drove a "quick start" after stopping to see where the problem might be...seems to be between first------>going into second that triggers the warning...fluid was pretty dark, so I think doing a change a few more times and dropping the pan and changing the filter will probably do it...not even any car shops around here so I'll order stuff online....typically once the car reaches "half" on temperature and I drive more that a few miles the warning triggers...this time it was much longer and much further so I think I'm on the right track...thanks again to all!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Put your shifter in the "5" position and see if the problem goes away. No need to go from "1" to "5" it will do it on its self.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 PM

Just a quick update I re-drained the fluid refilled and still manage to get the dash "Transmission Fault" message but I have tracked it down a bit more...

I drove it about a mile, got the fault, stopped turned off the car restarted and drove very gently from start to second/third...managed to drive it on the highway at 65 mph for about an hour with no failure, then encountered slow traffic, came to standstill (stoplight) and did not drive as "gentle" and immediately got the failure signal...so what I have surmised is the fault is happening as it shifts from first to second...I've tried to do a search here but so far have not found a thread that explains it...I do have a filter ordered and will drain/refill once more this weekend...all other gears the shifting is very transparent and smooth the only time it is slightly rough is 1-2...

Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Did you try driving it with the shifter in the "5" position?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 PM

Sorry Gus have not tried that yet. just managed to get back online and see your messages, will be first thing I try tomorrow am...thanks for the advice...

Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member

Probably has no 5 - use 4 instead.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM

I did manage to try moving the shifter to 5th (actually 4 on this car) it did not make the warning go away or reset...also drove it in "sport" which I never do, the only difference I could see was in the shift points being at higher revs...also stopped at yet another auto store this is now the 4th code reader to show no codes...probably going to have to find a Jag shop but pretty sure it will be an hour away at least...thanks for all the suggestions

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No it would not remove the codes or reset anything what I was looking for was to see if the shifting was any different in the direction of better..

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 PM

thanks Gus, sorry I misunderstood, actually in "Sport" it shifts a little rougher, but maybe I am used to the normal...I kind of pushed it a little today in traffic driving, not babying it to see if the shifting was very noticeable...not really anything to predominant...it actually shifts quite smoothly most of the time and switching over made no significant difference...

This is what baffles me, there does not appear to be anything wrong in the feel and way the transmission is functioning...if I baby the tranny it will drive quite some distance before i get the fault (upwards of 50 miles)...if I accelerate from stop quickly it almost immediately triggers the warning...and I noticed tonite that the car temp does not need to be at halfway to trip the warning...it is simply how I drive that does it, almost always between first and second gear...I get the filter tomorrow and will drop the pan and inspect everything...

Thanks for the input...

_Mark

Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If you have a flag on the dash you should have a fault code unless a temporary event. A waiting your results.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 AM

Thanks again Gus, yes I will definitely follow this up once I find the results to either cause or eliminate the issue...so if I read your post correctly it is possible that a "temporary event" could be the culprit, something like shifting from first to second being to harsh or beyond the transmissions normal operating shift point could possibly trigger the light?

Quick Reply: 2001 S-type Transmission fault RESOLVED