Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type Gearbox Fault Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type Gearbox Fault Update

12/7/2013 Update:
Hello fellow forum members/visitors, coming back with a update. I haven't yet taken my S-Type to get the codes read/repaired as I don't have the time (work Mon-Sun..7am-5pm+) and shops close around the 5pm time. I have been doing quite some research on the gearbox fault issue and have seen multiple posts on what causes the issue. I've seen quite a few posts where the gearbox fault message comes up on peoples cars and they tracked down the issue to the ECM or TCM ? (or something electrical) getting wet when it rained or they ran the car through a car wash. Some said water goes down the windshield or somewhere near their, and as I was reading these posts I remembered I had taken my S-Type to an automatic car wash a day before all the gearbox fault messages starting coming up, and I hadn't received a gearbox fault message before the carwash...car ran smooth as butter. My s-type had the windshield replaced..not sure if the installers sealed it correctly (hope so) but I'm guessing water ran somewhere down in their and wet something electrical and is what is causing my gearbox issue. As of now the car is still in limp mode and haven't moved it for about a week...(really want to take her out for a spin !)....I've turned on the car everyday for the past week and the gearbox fault comes up as soon as I start the car and will stay on. What do yall think...suggest ?

Also when I find the time to take the car to a shop I'll be asking them to change the trans. fluid/filter, my question is what kind of trans. fluid does the 2005 S-Type 4.2L V8 use, or what is recommended ? Would like to make sure before they add some dollar store stuff and screw up the trans !
Thanks

So I posted a few days ago about my 2005 S- Type 4.2L V8 gearbox issue where sometimes the gearbox fault message would come and go (only came up 3 times since I've had the car) but now it doesn't go away. I start the car and the gearbox fault message shows up each time when I turn on the car it's been doing this for the past 3 days. The car goes in reverse just fine but when I put it in D (Drive) it's in "safe mode" and will hardly move forward. I bought a new battery two days ago to see if it resolved the issue and it unfortunately didn't what could it be and what do you recommend ?
Thanks

2005 S Type 4.2L V8
87,470miles
No recent oil changes or nothing

Last edited by campaign308; 12-07-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Your other thread mentions the surge in RPMs, which I also have and have been told the Torque Convertor could be on the way out. It's to do with the lock up solonoid I believe.
If you dump the gears down a notch on the J Gate or uphill, do you get a squawk?
Yours seems to have progressed to showing a fault message too.
Having the car checked out with the proper Jag diagnostics should help you see what's what.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

As we always say without codes it's just a shot in the dark??

With what you have posted so far you need a new transmission. Not a great answer!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Hell I was hoping the problem was electrical and not hardware, still don't know for sure but I'll keep on hoping for now. The I'm going to try to find some time to take it into a shop to diagnose and repair I guess but that's an issue too as I work Mon-Sun from 7am-5pm+ and yet another issue I'm going to have to pay for a tow truck to tow the car about 50miles to a shop as the local auto repair shops are "scammers" and hardly know what they're doing (past experience).
The shift knob moves normally from P, N, R, D..doesn't get stuck or anything haven't tried the 2, 3, 4, 5 gears as I don't use them but will give them a try.
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts

Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just remember that the codes are the key to everything. Spend the money to get them first and then see what you can find before trying to fix it.

Have you done any research at all?? Have you had the fluid level checked? Has the transmission had any service done to it?

All this matters because a 6 speed ZF will run you about $4K-$6K to replace and the car is just not worth it.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Just remember that the codes are the key to everything. Spend the money to get them first and then see what you can find before trying to fix it.

Have you done any research at all?? Have you had the fluid level checked? Has the transmission had any service done to it?

All this matters because a 6 speed ZF will run you about $4K-$6K to replace and the car is just not worth it.
Will defiantly get that checked. Haven't checked anything, don't know if the transmission had any work done to it as I've had the car for maybe 7 weeks...already spent $10K on it...hope it don't shoot me in the a** for another $5K+.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Well the good thing is the ZF is pretty tough and we have seen several replaced when I don't think they needed it. Something as simple as low fluid will cause most shops to recommend a replacement of the transmission.

It just so hard to get good diagnosis anymore. Most shops don't have the skills and of course time is money. You will be way far ahead to spend some quality time on this forum. Nearly all the S Type problems have been reported and solved.

Don't forget we have several factory techs too that have massive amounts of skill and experience. Brutal is the guy you want to pay attention to!

But like I said it's up to you to provide the best and most accurate description of what's going on. Then do what is suggested. These cars are just too expensive to fix using a dealer. It sounds like you already know that!

The following users liked this post:
campaign308 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM

update

Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by campaign308
update
Got any more....?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Just one other comment. You do work long hours but the auto parts stores are open until 9 PM and on weekends. So you still should be able to get the codes read somewhere.

Until I got the ELM327 I would just stop by on my way home from work and get the codes read.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Just one other comment. You do work long hours but the auto parts stores are open until 9 PM and on weekends. So you still should be able to get the codes read somewhere.

Until I got the ELM327 I would just stop by on my way home from work and get the codes read.
Hello, do they sell code readers online? If so what would you recommend (please link if possible) I'd like to take it to get the codes read but since the car is in "safe mode" and won't go over 10 mph I believe, I'd hate to "force" the car to move for about a mile and a half, I also live on a main road so traffic is an issue as well going 10 mph on a 45 mph zone...I can hear folks honking at me already

Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts
Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sell it!

I have the same model and engine....never seen such shitty workmanship and quality in a "upper class" car.....now I know why they have such low resale value!

Jaguar could learn a few things from Kia!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I hope you're more accurate here than your plainly wrong comment on wiring. I am rather doubtful, however.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Default British sarcasm, gotta love it

Originally Posted by JagV8
I hope you're more accurate here than your plainly wrong comment on wiring. I am rather doubtful, however.
I do not like to BS and as a retired soldier I always deal if facts!

1. Here the numero 1, uno problem is wiring. Feel free to call Scottsdale jaguar in AZ and that is what they will tell you

2. Having worked on this car I can concur with their assememnt because my wiring is fried! ie wire loose in injector connector, all injector connectors brittle, not to mention those on the coils, P2135....due to loose connector/brittle

3. My fathers 71 Ford Mustang wiring looks better than my sons 2005 Jaguar S type! Fact if you desire pictures more than happy to comply!

4. on this forum most of the issues are electrical either from water or shitty wiring.

5. My 01 Lotus Esprit and 05 Lotus Elise both have the same crappy wiring.......which had to be redone because of cheap material.

6. I know the car is british and it hits home but those are the facts MATY so deal with it!....might go as far as recomment Prozac instead of the afthernoon tea!( American sarcams)

Enjoy you day!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Yours may be. There are FAR more members here than one dealer has ever seen with S-Types and wiring simply is not the problem you claim. Fact.

Sorry to say you're wrong, but there it is.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Default if my wiring is shitty

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yours may be. There are FAR more members here than one dealer has ever seen with S-Types and wiring simply is not the problem you claim. Fact.

Sorry to say you're wrong, but there it is.
than it is a problem!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Default JAGV8, Since we are talking wiring

do you have a source on the island that would have all the connectors available for the engine harness for 05 Jaguar S type with 4.2 NA?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Clueless!!

Wiring is NOT a problem on the S Type.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Default Well then clued one

Clueless!!

Wiring is NOT a problem on the S Type.
What is? Enlighten me!