S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type third brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type third brake light issue

This may sound odd but it's true. My wife and I purchased this Jaguar almost 3 years ago used and a few months ago I was driving behind my wife and noticed that the third brake light did not come on when she was stopping. We were taking it for an oil service and I had the mechanic check it to see if it was a fuse or the light itself. He told me that the light was bad and what it would cost to get it replaced. It took me a while to get it back to the shop and by then they had another mechanic working there and I had him check it also, he also said the light was bad. I had him order and replace the light which as you know was not cheap. I took the car home and when I got there the third brake light was not working so I took it back, it turned out to be that the plug had loosened and needed to be reseated. In the mean time I had taken the old light home and since I work with computers and had a DVM I thought I would test the light which is an LED light to see if I could find out what was wrong with it. Imagine my surprise when I could not find anything wrong with any of the LEDs or capacitors. I found a 12 DC power supply and connected the light and it worked fine. I took it back to the mechanic and asked him to test it on the car again and if it did not work to change the wires in the plug then try it again. Well I was correct, the wires had been inserted into the plug incorrectly so the polarity on the light so the current was not flowing through the light in the direct it was supposed to so it did not work. From what I can determine is that the light never worked since it left the factory and no one ever noticed it because who can really see the third brake light while you are in the car. That does not speak well for Jaguar quality control, not to mention the fact that I had it at the local Jaguar dealer in Nashville, TN for a recall and they did not say anything about the light being out. I apologize for the length of this post but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had to replace the third brake light on their Jaguar also.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Good catch! Thanks for noting that. It must be a rare one off because you are the first person to have posted about it.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Did the shop refund your money for whatever they charged you initially?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been dealing with them for years and the owner is going to have the mechanic see if he can return the new part, he agrees that I should not have to pay if the old part was good. They had not charged me yet so I do not need to get a refund.