Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-Minute stutter in S-Type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 4-Minute stutter in S-Type 3.0

I have a 2003 S-type 3.0L with a 5-speed stick. 87,600mi. Runs great, except:
I can take two routes to work. One uses the old 2-lane highway into town, top speed 45 mph. When I take that route, I make the trip without incident. BUT, if I take the other route which includes driving for about 4 minutes at about 50 -60mph, then getting on the freeway and getting up to 70mph, during the first 30 - 45 seconds at freeway speeds (just about as the temperature gauge is settling in to normal operating temperature) the amber light comes on a few times over a 15 to 20 second period, then stops. Occasionally, the engine will stutter noticeably, but then smooth out and it will not do that again for the rest of the day. But then the next morning, it will do it again.
My thought that there is a problem in the transition from warm-up mode to normal operating mode. It runs fine all day, then it cools off totally over night and needs to get warmed up again.
At first I thought it might be a fouled spark plug or plugged injector, but the consistency and smooth running the rest of the time does not support that. One thought is it might be a vacuum leak at the intake manifold that opens up when everything cools off.
Ideas, anyone?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum DaveE,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

My first thought would be to get the codes read to see if there's any stored or pending that would help explain the issue.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

First thing to is read the codes. To do this buy yourself an elm 327.
The flashing MIL light can be warning you that you are damaging the cats. If this is the case then you have a bad air leak. Try the brake fluid technique or build your self a smoker and check it.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Idea, get the codes read and post the actual code not description. Most likely a vacuum leaks. Have you ever had the IMT o-rings replaced?

This link may help:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-15/2005-3-0-v6-color-coded-vacuum-lines-w-pics-52720

Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

As Rick (joycesjag) suggested above, if you have not replaced the two factory IMT O-rings, do so immediately. The factory O-rings (yellow in color) were substandard and always eventually deform and allow vacuum leaks. The improved O-rings (green in color) solve that problem as soon as they are installed....

This issue affects only the vehicles with the 3.0 engine....

Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE
the amber light comes on a few times over a 15 to 20 second period, then stops.

As previously mentioned, if the Check Engine Light is flashing, that's designed to get your attention. It means your catalytic converters may be overheating, which will get expensive quickly.

Is the light on after the flashing stops? If so, please let us know what codes are stored. If you don't have a code reader or scanner, some parts stores will read them for free. Let us know the exact code (P0301, for example), and not the definition the machine may give you.

On my '02 V6, I had oil collect in the spark plug wells on one bank and cause misfires. This came out of the blue and was bad enough to flash the light to get my attention. But what I'm trying to say is we need the codes to help you diagnose the problem.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 PM

I have an Innova 3100. It reads a P0328 code, along with a P1111, and a yellow light by the Emission Status. I have never used it much. I can still break down a pair of SU's, reassemble and synchronize them in the dark, but have never delved into English cars I have driven since the advent of OBDII.
By the way, what are IMT O-rings and where are they? I know about spraying starter fluid around the base of the intake manifold to check for intake leaks, but have not had a chance to do that yet. I only bought this car a couple weeks ago. It took a long time to find one with a 5-speed stick. It only has 87K miles, looks brand new inside and out. The once-a-day orange light is the only flaw.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:18 AM

Last weekend I read codes and it showed codes for misfire on 1,3, and 5. From other threads I have deduced that I have leaking O-rings on the lower intake manifold and need to buy green O-rings, use 40W oil and engine restore to limit blow-by.
I have watched the YouTube video on changing plugs on the S-Type 3.0. It looks doable and within my skill set. Besides new O-rings and intake manifold gaskets, are there any other expendables that I will need?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 AM

P1111 just means that all checks are done so you can ignore.

If you can deal with SU carbs then this car will be easy.
If you get an elm327 you could have somebody watch the fuel trims and fuel pressure when you drive the car to see what is going on when the car plays silly bigger.

The rings are at the back of the inlet manifold on the valve.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member

Okie dokie Dave. Below after my dribble, I am adding a couple of links for you.

I am a nobody but take what I type to heart. You have a 14 year old vehicle. Everyone on this board will tell you how brittle the plastics have become both in and outside of the vehicle, trust me you will see for yourself, especially under the hood/bonnet from the heat cycles.

If I were you, I would invest a couple hundred $ in new vacuum lines, spark plugs, both plenum and lower intake seals, valve seals and IMT o-rings. It will take a modest 4-5 hours to replace everything stated. Use the JTIS (found here for free) to guide you through processes and procedures and to get proper specs. I don't believe you need to switch oil viscosity.

I mention valve seals. You will find upon break down of motor that when you change plugs, you will find oil in the spark plug wells. If not the seals will eventually fail in the near future and you will be enjoying the joys of plenum removal yet again!

Now for the links I mentioned above. The first is IMT o-rings check. Within this link is a "short cut" or "short route" R&R that I have described with pics:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ck-pics-49214/

Your MY, only has a couple of vacuum lines that should be replaced as mentioned. I say this because you have 87k on 14 year old spark plugs that are very near the end of their life that will need replaced. Again the vacuum lines are going to be quite brittle and often crack when you will be moving them around. This link has color coded vacuum lines for easy identification:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-52720/

While you are into the R&R replace your cabin air filter, found here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-27547/

One more item that you will want to focus on as well will be the fuel filter. Here is a you tube video from fellow member vance580 found here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...deo-faq-40686/

Don't forget to check air filter as well. Don't kid yourself. Remove entire airbox when checking air filter. Even the pros here will tell you that they have a difficult time in securing just the lid when replacing air filter.

​​​​The above advise is free but worth thousands, take it as you will. Follow all the links provided and you will be a long time satisfied S Type owner. There are many of us here that are going on almost a decade of pleasurable ownership!!

Welcome to the forum.

Gosh, I typed all that on my frickin phone. I hate insomnia!

​​​

Last edited by joycesjag; 06-30-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fix hyperlinks
The following 3 users liked this post by joycesjag:
DaveE (07-03-2017), hendercc (06-17-2018), Jon89 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Dave,

Rick has given you some very sage advice above. Heed it and your vehicle will wind up far healthier than it is now....

Rick,

Get some sleep, my friend....

joycesjag (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the guidance, Rick. I really like this car. It may be the last car I will ever own, so I will take the time to study it peculiarities (as all English vehicles have them). My history as being my own mechanic (learned from my dad, who was a master mechanic) has been that my multiple SU-carbed cars never went out of tune, never leaked oil, never left me sitting along the road. I have already watched some of the Youtube videos you referenced.
Is there a glossary of acronyms (e.g. IMT, MY, etc) anywhere I can refer to?

By the way, is it safe to drive for a couple weeks while I assemble the parts? I live in the wilderness of western Washington State and Monte Shelton is 100 miles away. Makes getting additional keys very inconvenient!
Lastly, where is the tag that tells me the chassis # so that I can order the correct manifold gaskets?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, you did indeed find a rare cat! I believe that your 5 spd. manual must have come from Canada eh. The US did not get the option from what I understand.

VIN number will be asked anytime you need parts for the vehicle. Simple note, take a picture on your mobile phone of the VIN that is located left side of lower windshield, that way you will always have it and not have to run around looking for it.

Keys do not necessarily have to be programed at a dealer. Call around to local locksmiths and ask if they are able to cut and program "Tibbe Keys". You can purchase blanks on ebay for lower cost then have the locksmith program. Search "Tibbe key" here.

I would not wait to long if you are driving the vehicle. Chances are you will burn up a cat convert, those are pricey!

As long as you know that the flat side of a screwdriver is not a back scratcher and the handle is not a butt plug, you will have no problem tackling this job. If you do, there are many knowledgeable 3.0 and V8 guys here that can bail you out in matter of an hour or so. This what makes this forum so GREAT!!

SNG Barrett is a forum sponsor, they would appreciate ALL of your business! They are prompt shipping, friendly and very helpful service!

As mentioned above, download JTIS found in the forum stickies. I myself spent the couple of bucks and signed up to www.alldatadiy.com for the 5 year subscription. Follow eithers instructions and you will have no problem.

Ahh eventually, I will get some rest, thanks Jon!

DaveE (07-03-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE
I have an Innova 3100. It reads a P0328 code, along with a P1111, and a yellow light by the Emission Status. I have never used it much. I can still break down a pair of SU's, reassemble and synchronize them in the dark, but have never delved into English cars I have driven since the advent of OBDII.
OBD II is a USA thing 20-30 years old, depending a bit on your view of history. Jaguar comply with the USA laws on OBD II. In case you want to read a lot, google etc have a vast amount about it and don't overlook the OE info that's free to download.

Acronyms - see below.

DaveE (07-03-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:30 PM

If you buy the bits from SNG Barrett. Tell them you are a forum member. I have heard that they will give a discount on the price.
I have found that the YouTube can be very helpful. I learnt a lot about the OBDII from looking on scanner danner.

I too have a 2003 v6 sport with a manual gearbox. Jaguar Heritage told me that there were only 391 RHD produced. If you ask them they will tell you the production history and numbers that were produced.

Last edited by Ducmon; 06-30-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ducmon
I too have a 2003 v6 sport with a manual gearbox. Jaguar Heritage told me that there were only 391 RHD produced. If you ask them they will tell you the production history and numbers that were produced.
I am guessing that Daves rare 5 speed manual is a LHD which would make it a bit rarer... Again its just a guess on my part.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:59 AM

Dear Mr Redfern,

Of these 285 were RHD and 391 were LHD.

Best wishes,

Ms. Faye McLeod
Archivist

Jaguar Heritage Trust Archive
British Motor Museum
Banbury Road
Gaydon
Warwickshire
CV35 0BJ

I made a mistake last night my car is also LHD. Please remember that these are figures for the sport.
jaguar only produced the manual cars until the second facelift due to lack of demand which I don't personally understand because I prefer this option.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Update:
Okay, I have registered with SNG Barrat and ordered O-rings, manifold gaskets, vacuum lines, etc to pull it apart and address the problem.
I performed the "short route" check with the paper towel and came up with nothing but dry grime, no wetness that would indicate oil leaking out around the valves, though I do remember smelling hot oil once or twice.
I have replaced the cabin air filter, as the old one was rather musty. I am not sure how long it has been since the car was driven regularly. The interior shows no sign of mold result of sitting unused for a long time.
The engine bay is amazingly clean, though it does not show signs of having been detailed. The entire car simply looks like someone too excellent care of it. The spare has never been on the road and the trunk looks like nothing has ever been put in it.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting that the IMT o-rings we're not show signs of leakage. The oil smell possibly could be the valve cover gasket seeping.

WTG with SNG. Now you just have to find the time to start having fun !

Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 PM

I was surprised to smell it, too. The engine bay is extremely clean. I pulled the belly cover to charge the a/c and found the underside to be really clean, especially for a car with 87.6K on it. But I won't be able to pull the top covers, intake manifold etc. until the parts come from SNG. Won't be this weekend, as I will be in Bend, OR meeting my new great grandson! I will have to drive the Dakota.