Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS-Traction Control Fault- wheel sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ABS-Traction Control Fault- wheel sensor

Year 2000 S-Type 3.0 V6

I spent the last few days trying to figure out what has happened to my ABS and dynamic stability control (DSC)
While driving through a blizzard, the ABS warning light, followed by traction control fault came on. (It really sucks to drive through snow without the traction control, I would not wish that on anybody!)

I had the codes read: C1234 came up which is a missing wheel speed input error. Fortunately I carry around with me the Jag diagnostic code summaries, so was able to determine that the problem lies with the front right wheel.

I had the garage (they know me quite well now since I am the proud owner of a jaguar) jack it up and pull out the wheel speed sensor. It was so covered in muck and dirt that they concluded "thats easy just replace the sensor"

After much reading about the sensor and abs sensor ring, it concerns me that the sensor ring can be completely soaked in water and muck, and I am not even able to tell for sure that the abs sensor ring has not disintegrated completely.

Any ideas how to proceed? Is there a way to test the sensor itself? They are quoting $750 for the part but does that make sense to put a new sensor into a rusty muddy quagmire and hope that the sensor ring is still good?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whatI think is,

a) pick the tree of your choice and find a good looking brick to put on the pedal and let it fly.

b) maybe same thing is wrong with yours as is mine. DSC failure, which renders the ABS as failed.

the parts for DSC failure is like 2700 from dealer.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

First: ignore the reply from the jerk above.

A competent tech can actually test both the sensor and whether the control module can "see" it properly. Then you'd know for sure whether it needed replacing. And $750? Sounds VASTLY too much but surely you can find the part # and get some quotes. There are online parts shops (rockauto, for one) - go hunting. It would be cheaper to diagnose it yourself, buying a tool (ABS jag-specific code reader, even) to assist.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

A quick search of Jaguarparts.com showed me a rear wheel sensor for $215. Funny thing is I didn't see a listing for the front wheel. There is a dealer here that advertises as well as Ken from British Car Parts. Even without my own reader, the first thing I would do is clean everything and put it back together and see if it doesn't clear up.....I had two Jeep Cherokees back in the day that would always give me ABS lights after a bit of off roading... A quick clean and all was good..

Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
A quick search of Jaguarparts.com showed me a rear wheel sensor for $215. Funny thing is I didn't see a listing for the front wheel. There is a dealer here that advertises as well as Ken from British Car Parts. Even without my own reader, the first thing I would do is clean everything and put it back together and see if it doesn't clear up.....I had two Jeep Cherokees back in the day that would always give me ABS lights after a bit of off roading... A quick clean and all was good..
My Durango did the same exact thing!

Personally I'd check the electrical connections as well. Especially on a car that's been through snowy winters. There's no real WAY for the sensor ring to disintegrate internally.

Pull the sensor out clean with brake cleaner or wd-40. And put it all back together. I bet it has a good chance of working again. Are the codes wheel specific? Any way to swap sensors side to side and see if the code changes?

George

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

jag say not to remove the sensors but once you have a fault, if that's what it takes to clean it then I guess you may as well. Be sure to reseal it when you put it (or a new one) in. It may be jtis where I saw details of what to seal it with (silicone sealant springs to mind but do check).

Old 03-11-2010, 02:56 PM

It is actually incredibly easy to remove the sensor and clean it. There is a single spring clip locking it in place which comes off easily with long nose pliers. I have cleaned the sensor up and placed it back. Looks like the o-ring or gasket that keeps water out has completely disintegrated. I seated the sensor back with some teflon tape to get it in nice and snug. I will drive it around for a few more days and see if the code goes away.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Could you find a suitable replacement rubber O-ring at a hardware store and perhaps use a bit of silicone adhesive to keep it in place where it belongs on the sensor?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Cleaning out the sensor and sealing it up did not work so I had the entire wheel bearing and hub assembly replaced. It comes with new abs sensor already attached. Its probably a good thing that the wheel bearing was replaced as it was creaking and groaning like an old grandmother. Once it was all installed, the jaguar cleared its ABS codes all by itself. Maybe that should be a lesson, it was expensive yes, but the ABS failed before the wheel bearing, and ultimately I would never have seen the poor state of the wheel bearing if the ABS codes had not been triggered.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (06-06-2023)
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

appreciate the follow up dijmand, very good to know the outcome of your code

thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dijmand
Cleaning out the sensor and sealing it up did not work so I had the entire wheel bearing and hub assembly replaced. It comes with new abs sensor already attached. Its probably a good thing that the wheel bearing was replaced as it was creaking and groaning like an old grandmother. Once it was all installed, the jaguar cleared its ABS codes all by itself. Maybe that should be a lesson, it was expensive yes, but the ABS failed before the wheel bearing, and ultimately I would never have seen the poor state of the wheel bearing if the ABS codes had not been triggered.
This sounds TOOOOO closely alike to what is going on with my early '02 S-Type 3.0.

I just started getting the ABS light and Traction Control Fault Light coming on.

I am not getting too much groaning, except on the final end of a stop when the vehicle reaches complete stop. Then there is a slight grunt on the front driver-side wheel.

My OBDII reader is supposed to read the C#### codes and I am not getting any ABS, brake or traction codes.

The vehicle has about 115K miles on it. At what mileage did your axle barings go out?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Oh! And what did they charge you for the parts?

Is there any way to diagnose this problem other than by the ABS/traction control fault light?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Your reader probably reads Cxxxx codes but ONLY from the PCM. ABS codes are NOT from the PCM. So, I would expect your reader not to see them.

There are tools which will read ABS/DSC codes, as you know from the related thread to this.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Your reader probably reads Cxxxx codes but ONLY from the PCM. ABS codes are NOT from the PCM. So, I would expect your reader not to see them.

There are tools which will read ABS/DSC codes, as you know from the related thread to this.
Thanks JagV8. That is what I thought. But I just hope dijmand will respond to my other questions in that post.

I asked a question of you in the "related thread". Thanks for your help.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

NAPA carries front wheel bearings for S Types around $200.00. I did Joyces in 20 minutes, very easy job to replace.

BTW welcome back BugDoc!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
NAPA carries front wheel bearings for S Types around $200.00. I did Joyces in 20 minutes, very easy job to replace.

BTW welcome back BugDoc!
Thanks. Did that include the speed sensor or did you have to transfer the old one?

Thanks for the welcome back too. I guess I should hang here even when I'm not having problems. Maybe they would not sneek up on me that way...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Yes the speed sensor was included along with replacement body pins and connectors.

Well we took it that either you sold the Jag or it was running good for you! Yes you should"pop" in from time to time

In your signature are they tears of joy now?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

I understand that jag supply the ABS sensor ready-fitted because it needs properly sealing against water and dirt. There is a TSB or the like referring to problems if people remove sensors and then refit without full sealing and I think they wanted to reduce the risk of bad sealing by providing a fully ready to use unit.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM

BTW welcome back BugDoc!
Well.... I just got back from a 100 mile drive to/from the nearest place that will work on a Jag.

The verdict is a front speed sensor/hub assembly. The EuroCare service center charged me $75 for the diagnosis. They apparently have a code reader which can read Jag codes other than the PCM codes. The code they pulled from the ABS module is C1233. Which is according to them the front left speed sensor/hub unit. They could not tell me if it is the hub ring or the actual sensor.

They want an additional $450 to make the repair. Thanks to Joycesjag's suggestion, I checked around and I can purchase the hub assembly for $173 including the speed sensor.

I'll be ordering it later this afternoon and it will be in by 8am. Installation is only three bolts and a few more screws (to get the splash gaurd out from the fender) than changing the brakes.

I have the AllData and the JTIS. Are there any tricks I might not find in those resources?

When I change the hub assembly out, I'll take some pics and post a thread here for others to view as a resource.

QUESTION: On the drive over to the shop, the "parking brake light" started coming on while driving, even though it was off. Is there any chance these things are related?

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM

In your signature are they tears of joy now?
I want them to be... and I suppose for a vehicle purchased with 76K on it, I have not invested too much time and money during the 39k miles we have put on it.

Quick Reply: ABS-Traction Control Fault- wheel sensor