Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air con recharge point

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Air con recharge point

Hi Guys,

Subject to the weather I am replacing my front disks and pads, and rear pads and I thought whilst I am doing this I may as well recharge the air con, which was struggling in the recent heat.

I have read that it is behind a front wheel unlike my previous Jaguars - could anyone tell me which wheel and do I need to remove the wheel bay liner to access it?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Now just hoping for reasonable weather this weekend :-)

Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

In the US its on the driver side. UK probably passenger (not sure) it is visible without removing the inner fender lining.

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

It's behind the wheel Steve , turn the steering to full lock and you can reach it.
I'd guess passenger side for you.

SteveSheldon (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:21 AM

Thanks for that Norri & BlackCat, I appreciate your help..

The weather forecast is looking good for Sunday, so hopefully I will get the chance to:

Get the wheels off for the first time, & clean them up as the previous owner fitted pads that produce a lot of brake dust - far more than any I have ever fitted over the years :-O ,

Replace the front disks as I have wheel wobble when braking, plus the front and back brake pads,

And after the climate control struggling last weekend, this is the perfect opportunity to top up the air con. whilst the wheels are off :-)

Getting her as ready as I can for the family holiday in three weeks or thereabouts..

Many thanks for your input & the location pic - I appreciate it, and now know where I am looking lol

Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 AM

Well, the weather held off on Sunday morning and finally I managed to get a chance to look at this.

Initially I found that the wheels had been put on by a gorilla - lol.. 7am on a Sunday morning anyone looking out of their windows seeing me suspended in the air on a breaker bar trying to crack the wheel nuts :-) Only to find out I had been supplied the wrong front brake pads making for a 10am trip back to the supplier with the old pads, now off the car to use as an example :-)

I found the cause of the braking wobble - the front driver side disk had worn the pads twice as fast as the other three wheels and the disk had four distinct patches of rubbing when you rotated it rather than the steady rubbing noise. All sorted with new disks on both front brakes plus new pads.. back pads still only half worn so left them for another day.

I found the air con port, connected my cylinder and guage up and found it was in the red.. I suspect it is the guage is at fault, as it was the same reading on the school run C1, so when she goes in for her MOT I will ask them to check the air con whilst she is in with them.

FINALLY I got around to t-cutting the headlamps - still not completely clear but improved AND after ages cursing it (and not sorting it) I adjusted the AVC down on the sound system - yep it drove me up the wall with huge increases with road speed but because the brakes and air con rated higher with me it sat on the backburner until now lol.

Next time it will be the one touch windows to sort which haven't been one touch since I got her :-) yep frustrating but again it has been a low backburner job :-)

Thanks for pointing me to the air con recharge point - once it is confirmed as sorted I now know where to recharge it each year :-)

Norri (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Steve, you do know the windows need to be re-set anytime the battery is disconnected, don't you? A little foggy, but IIRC, put them all down, then raise each one individually to full up, release the button, then press it again for >2 sec.

SteveSheldon (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Yes & thankyou - I used to have to do this with the X-Type whenever I disconnected the battery (and that was quite frequently), but have not needed to disconnect the battery yet on the S-Type.

I am guessing it may have had the power disconnected sometime just before I got it. My guess is it must have been at some point on the forecourt at the dealer as I watched it in their adverts for a few months not going anywhere, then when they started to drop the price I phoned them and asked for another discount on top before viewing lol - and they went for it, so I went same day to get her and have been learning about S-Types ever since.

The procedure for the windows seems to have changed a little since my 2002 X-Type but I dug it up in the manual the other day ready - fully close the window and hold the switch for two seconds, release the switch for two seconds, then press it again for two seconds and it should be set.. just need to do that with all four windows and I will be there (the X-type in comparison only had two electric windows and the kids always left the back ones with a 2mm gap just enough to get the car damp and foggy in the mornings)

It has just been another of those things that is enough to irritate and make you think - must do that - but not quite get round to it lol

But this weekend I will make a point of it, now that that brakes are back to being smooth and the AVC is no longer going nuts if I put my foot down :-) not that I ever do of course :-)

One other thing I picked up on in the manual whilst figuring the windows and AVC is that where my X-Type had a metal ended dipstick that needed to be at max, my S-Type arrived with it at max initially (until my DPF dumped fuel in the sump raising it even higher, & I had to refill with fresh oil) however it should be kept in the middle of max and min - described as 'A' - which I now do - one of many things just a little bit different from my previous Jag's :-)

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

A/C problem is most likely the DCCV. Has it been changed?

Do that first.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

When you reset the windows you should hear a click as you are holding the button, you can do them all from the driver's panel.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 AM

Thankyou for that clubairth, It hasn't been changed in the past that I am aware of..

The air con is 'OK' in so far as if the external temp is low to mid 20s (celsius) it does OK, but as soon as you head towards 30 the system is really struggling and running at full tilt so that is why I thought I would top it up.

But as soon as you connect up the guage it is straight into the red :-(

She is due for her MOT in October so I will likely wait for then (we have had our 'Indian Summer' already anyway lol) and ask my independant to check it when they MOT her and see what transpires..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 AM

The plan is that I am doing a car boot sale this Sunday Norri, so from my perspective a perfect quiet spot to sort out the windows lol I will listen out for the click too - thanks for that info :-)

Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Just one and a half weeks until the family road trip now...

and I have the brake judder sorted, the AVC figured, will sort the windows this weekend, headlamps are somewhat clearer - not crystal yet but much better, the SatNav is working reliably with its original 2007 disk after all it's hassles with a burnt 2012 disk, I have been treating the leather to get it reasonably roadtrip/children proof, the A/C is fine as long as the outside temp isn't nearer 30 than 20, and I am pretty much there :-)

Even the wheels are now such that they can be undone roadside if needed :-) Why on earth does every car I buy have wheels that a gorilla put on?? lol - I was literally suspended mid air getting the nuts undone lol

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
The air con is 'OK' in so far as if the external temp is low to mid 20s (celsius) it does OK, but as soon as you head towards 30 the system is really struggling and running at full tilt so that is why I thought I would top it up.
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! This guide was written specifically for you!:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ol-how-185002/

Your car may be a good candidate for the bypass valve modification mentioned in posts #1 and #4.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM

Thankyou for that - have started reading, and there is a lot of really well written & good info there - I have the internal thermometers, but not an infra red thermometer (yep I am one of those DIYers who makes do, and in doing so generally increase my problems many fold lol) but may well give it a go.. I will let you know if I do, and what the outcome is :-)

Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

What you found on your brakes points to your caliper pins sticking. Did you lube them when replacing the pads?
Did they seem to move/slide OK?

A lot of times you must replace the caliper as I have had poor luck rebuilding them. I think you are in a rust belt area?
Otherwise you will burn thru your new pad pretty quick.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:45 AM

Thanks for that Clubairth.. I did check the caliper pins and they do have a very thin coating on them of brake grease and I checked there was no sign of curent corrosion on them.

Yes it's not as bad where I live, as it is on the coast, but due to the weather in the south east it tends to be a bit humid/wet so rust is always an issue (spent an arm and a leg on X-Type sills before) .

There was a fair amount of corrosion on the hub and the inner side of the disc where it mates with the hub which I cleaned off - and I believe this car was primarily used in London rather than rural areas prior to me getting it - so I guess I shouldn't be suprised there are braking issues with short trips and condensation, and it would tie in with the DPF dump I had just after taking ownership :-)

Also due to the pads producing huge amounts of dust even after just a 40 mile journey I think the people servicing it previously did so on a much tighter budget than me, and trust me I have a tight budget myself.

One touch windows are now reset and working as expected which is already making it sooo much easier to access parking barrier systems lol..

I am carefully bedding the brakes in currently - if a 200mile bedding in period I still have about 170 miles to go lol - but the family roadtrip is coming up which will probably put 1000 on the clock so should be bedded in by the end of that.

Then not long till the MOT (ugh two cars & two MOTs to make it through) and if all reasonable will then look at replacing spare wheel which could be in better condition, applying a rust proofing kit, replacing the rear discs/pads, looking at the gearbox lurch which I am currently managing and seem to have managed to minimise the times it occurs, and sorting the air con for which I have a wealth of info on here to fault find with :-)

I'm getting there with things slowly but surely and as within budget as I can.. thanks to everyone for their help, support, and thoughts on my issues .. :-)

Norri (07-28-2017)