S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bank 2 knock sensor repair bill

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bank 2 knock sensor repair bill

well I ve been putting it of far awhile and now car is at dealership getting it replaced, at id get restricted performance light and cel and it was nusense anyway... im waiting for the car to be done and was quoted 11hrs labor at $112.50 an hour..... I just wanted it done correctly and if there was an issue afterwards I would be able to take back and have it covered...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Yikes! What cel were you getting?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

They could be right on at 11 hours, they have to R&R the supercharger to get at the knock sensors.

There are probably some hoses and such under there that you should replace while they have the supercharger removed.

I need to replace my left bank knock sensor and I was thinking about trying to find another place to bolt a new one down and just leave the bad one in place under the SC and attach the wiring to the new one.

I'm going to post a thread with that question.
Vector

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept getting a code for it, I am replacing the hoses as well.... I hope the mechanic at Bennett jaguar takes good care of it, I keep ya all posted

Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I need to replace my left bank knock sensor and I was thinking about trying to find another place to bolt a new one down and just leave the bad one in place under the SC and attach the wiring to the new one.

Vector
+1
I can't see any reason to put it in such a stupid place - you should 'hear' the knock anywhere on the head - at the worst you'll have to smooth the area down or use something like heat sink compound to get good acoustic coupling.

This is applicable to lots of 'R' engines - if it works please PM me or post a link in the other relevant sections.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Sounds brave.

11 hrs is a pain, though.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by vector
they could be right on at 11 hours, they have to r&r the supercharger to get at the knock sensors.

There are probably some hoses and such under there that you should replace while they have the supercharger removed.

I need to replace my left bank knock sensor and i was thinking about trying to find another place to bolt a new one down and just leave the bad one in place under the sc and attach the wiring to the new one.

Vector
thats not a good idea. The knock sensors are calibrated with the ecu to see the frequency of the knock. It based on location and torque of the nut holding the sensor, can tell a differance between other knocks/noises. Knock sensitivy can also be tuned by increasing or decreasing the torque holding the sensor to the engine. Yes location sucks, but on a sc engine i would never mess with it. Na maybe. Theyre there to keep the engine from damage if it begins to knock from poor grade gas, load etc.. A knock sensor(ide do both while in there at 11hours is cheap compared to a engine at 25hrs plus the engine cost.

The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (03-02-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

It is rare (unknown) for me to disagree with you, Brutal.
But I do.
It is impossible to program an ECM to know the torque the knock sensor was fixed to the head.
'Pinking' has very specific frequency components.
The ECM is incapable of performing fast Fourier transforms on the knock sensor data so it can only be looking for frequency dependant peaks in regions not normally seen.
This will be a crude algorithm insensitive to sensor placement or acoustic coupling.
There may be some background adaptive function (listening to the general noise and adjusting gain to set that to an established level) but the output from the sensor on true knock will be at least an order of magnitude over background.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
But I do.
It is impossible to program an ECM to know the torque the knock sensor was fixed to the head.
The ECM is incapable of performing fast Fourier transforms on the knock sensor data so it can only be looking for frequency dependant peaks in regions not normally seen.
This will be a crude algorithm insensitive to sensor placement or acoustic coupling.
There may be some background adaptive function (listening to the general noise and adjusting gain to set that to an established level) but the output from the sensor on true knock will be at least an order of magnitude over background.
That is good news, so where can I bolt/glue down the replacement on my supercharged engine?
Vector

Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,174 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by carlorner
well I ve been putting it of far awhile and now car is at dealership getting it replaced, at id get restricted performance light and cel and it was nusense anyway... im waiting for the car to be done and was quoted 11hrs labor at $112.50 an hour..... I just wanted it done correctly and if there was an issue afterwards I would be able to take back and have it covered...
It was mentioned that you should also change the second sensor. I will add the two hoses under the supercharger. You don't want to pay the same labour again if they go.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,174 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
But I do.
I'm with the 'do it as intended' school of thought.

Without detailed knowledge of the software, we cannot judge the likelihood of software independence from the characteristics of the hardware interface. Educated guess ... the programmer had access to data regarding the response characteristics in the as designed configuration and exploited it fully. In other words, the software baselines against an expected mechanical environment.

You could get around it if the parameters could be tuned ... but then we wouldn't be moaning about the inability to tune.

My .02 euros.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

One easy solution would be to put a twin channel scope on the RH KS and a 'spare' fixed somewhere accessible on the L head.

The KS body needs to make good electrical contact to the head.

It's hard to believe the whole head doesn't transmit the 'ping' - KS location on different engines can be on the head, inlet manifold or block.

It looks as if there are two sorts of KS, resonant and 'flat' - ours looks like the Toyota type
http://highlanderclub.ru/files/manua...4h/cip0325.pdf

If that's correct the ECM listens to the KS background noise from the engine. IT has to see a certain amplitude or it sets a fault code so that would give an indication of good acoustic coupling but not, of course, the ability to hear a knock.

Does anyone know if the timing is trimmed individually per cylinder or globally?
The only video I could find showed a global timing shift when knock was detected.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Its per cylinder, and the ignition will be pulled per cylinder where it has detected a knock (so on a certain frequency/amplitude).

steveinfrance (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking of replacing the hoses under the SC why you have it off, are there any better hoses to fit than OE ones or any way to protect them better so they will last longer. Apart from replacing both a knock sensors is there anything else under there you should just replace. In for a penny in for a pound!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Yes a knock sensor does go on frequency, and maybe i wasnt clear in relating my thoughts. A knock sensor can be made more or less sensitive based on contact with the surface which is why torque is important. Maybe moving it to a differant location wouldnt matter, this i cant say for sure. But i do feel that its a very important sensor which is why when they go out you get limp home/restricted performace because it leave the engine unprotected against knocking. And this is my point, i just wouldnt feel comfortable trying to reengineer an important sensor and its location based soley on lasyness/cheapness. Its penny wise dollar(pound) foulish imo. Use it as the oportunity to change the often leaking coolant hoses under the supercharger and maybe a pulley upgrade at the same time too

Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I think you're probably right but the S/C, like the convertible top hoses, seems to have been a 'chuck it on' item - easy to do when building the car but a right pain to fix later on.
Are the two KS's in exactly the same place on an R as an 8?
I don't want to experiment now but if my LH KS goes I'll probably order one and try it 'off piste'.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 03-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Here's an idea: someone - whose (bank 2 I suppose, given the thread title) KS is working - bolt on a second KS on the same bank then look on a 'scope at the signals from both. If you can't tell them apart then moving it should be OK.

Not one for me.

(Don't connect the extra one to the PCM.)

Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Yes theyre both in the "v" of the engine. The bosses to mount are no differant and cast into the block

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

OK, if there's a special boss on the casting that explains why Jaguar kept them under the S/C.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Wouldn't play with it either as Brutal is suggesting, another position (and possibly also differently angled) will give a different reading, and not knowing how the software is set, you do risk more knock, as now it’s pretty fine-tuned as it detects it per cylinder.

But I find the 11 hours pretty high for the replacement, I would be thinking more like 6 or 8 (as long as the EGR will budge…).

Quick Reply: bank 2 knock sensor repair bill