S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Nav Screen help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Were you playing around with the diagnostic screens by any chance? If so, you may have erased the the firmware for the NAV. When this happened to my car all they had to do was reinstall the firmware and reboot the system. It took about 30 minutes. The same message was flashing on my screen and I think the only thing working were the defrosters and all of the buttons were dead. Unfortunately the majority of Jaguar dealers will try to sell you a whole new NAV system because they need the business and the service writers get paid on commission, so a $4,400 repair is better for their pockets than the $120 they charged to fix mine. Eric

Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well if it just happened out of the blue, then your problem may be more serious than mine. If it does turn out that you need a new one, I would check ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...item2ea573a372

They usually have a bunch. I only found a couple today, but if you can wait you can probably find a deal on a replacement. Eric

Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mine did it today

I started the Jag to go to work today, and, the NAV screen was blank. None of the buttons around it did anything. I backed her out of the garage, and, restarted the car. This time the Screen came up normally, and, its worked OK all day. Hope this was a one-time gremlin.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I started the Jag to go to work today, and, the NAV screen was blank. None of the buttons around it did anything. I backed her out of the garage, and, restarted the car. This time the Screen came up normally, and, its worked OK all day. Hope this was a one-time gremlin.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Its good to know that I'm not alone. I had the screen come up blank about once every few months since day one. Dealer has looked into it 7 or 8 times can can't find a issue (even after bring it in to them locked up). They have updated the software, tore out the unit to check for bad ground connections, called the factory, etc. Seems to always work if you stop the engine and restart. Anyone else with this problem?

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Funny thing is I have the same issue with the trip computer. Every now and then it will only display the odometer, restart the car and it comes back on, right where it was set before.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

All British cars are notorious for electrical quirks.. Austin Healey's, Jaguar's, and MG's. The Brits build beautiful cars, but for some reason it always seems like they have a room full of drunks engineering the electrical. Haha who knows, to me it just gives the car some character and it's one of those things you likely never figure out.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Still Screwed up

I was playing around with the NAV system after work yesterday, and, it's still not working correctly. I have a couple of questions about it.
1. Will it hurt anything if I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and, see if that fixes it??

2. My car is a Jag CPO vehicle - will the extended warranty cover the NAV system if it requires a trip to the dealer to fix it. I'm currently at 53K miles.

The problem with the NAV - it won't let me enter a new address - it simply lists the saved ones, and, wants to direct me to one of those. I told it to go home, and, it wasn't giving me any voice directions as well.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 06-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I took a quick glance at my warranty info, and the Select Edition covers electronics.
It is ok to unhook the battery, but you may loose any preset settings.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi - I have 04 S-type and got the same glitch.. it happened to me I think twice, that when turning the car on, display remained dark.. turning it off again resolved issue..I've told my dealer, but they were unable to find any issue with NAv so far...

Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
All British cars are notorious for electrical quirks.. Austin Healey's, Jaguar's, and MG's. The Brits build beautiful cars, but for some reason it always seems like they have a room full of drunks engineering the electrical. Haha who knows, to me it just gives the car some character and it's one of those things you likely never figure out.
Nah, those problems were related to a specific manufacturer - Lucas. Their electrics were terribly unreliable.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Using the theory that when you here hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras....have you checked for fuse issues or a loose connector in the power source? Seems to me that what the nav system and the a/c share in common is the display and that it could simply be a power outage.

Eric

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a year ago on my STR, I started it and the navi was "black screened" then I restarted the car later and it worked fine. Just a few days ago the navi did not come up and is a black screen with the same codes as the original poster. I disconnected the battery and have been driving it for the last few days and it is still down (black screen, no controls work, etc...) I'm hoping it is not something major!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM

Chaps,

My 2004 XJ8 does this very occasionally. Although mildly annoying I can live with it. This is nothing compared to the constant problems I had with my previous car - a Mercedes E320. Now THAT is a car company with not just an Electrical engineering department, but also a Powertrain, Transmissions, Body and Chassis departments full of drunks. My E-Class just doesn't compare to the XJ. 3 years on and I still get a thrill driving it!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 PM

True 30 years ago but not true now. The Italians still are the undefeated champs for electrics - oh! and don't forget our teutonic friends at M-B!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM

My 03 STR os currently at a Louisville ky. dealership for this issue. Same codes on the temp display and no buttons work. they are charging me $125.00/hour for Diag. and are on hour 3!!! Please Help! anyone have a short cut for them? any ideas to keep this from getting outragiously expensive? the tech there says he has never seen this before and was having trouble finding a soultion for those codes.....I wanted to ask him what traning he recived to work at the dealership.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

$125/hr is not excessive.... but if they haven't seen it before (and they likely haven't) how long do YOU want them to go on? Be realistic, no training can cover every possible fault on a car like an STR. Not enough years before death.

Now, that doesn't mean another tech would take as long because let's face it some are better than others (same as in any job). Heck, another could take longer!

OK, I'm not helping - sorry - except to say maybe call a stop soonish, get details of what's been tried (make notes), then either try another shop or DIY, perhaps posting more info here. DIY might mean all manner of things, including swapping scarily expensive parts

If you're near any of the techs who post here.... seriously think about hiring one if you don't/can't DIY. If you can DIY, first get jtis (ebay) if you haven't already, then people here have had various parts out and so on, so may have ideas.

Best I can suggest, sorry.

Oh - I'd be checking battery, grounds and so on at some point. Basic stuff first unless there's a more obvious suspect.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. Im in a decent position considering the age of my STR I purchased an extended warranty through the dealership and the repair/replacement of the faulted part will be covered...however i am responsible for the diag. when i spoke with the service manager he just seemed baffled and told me the techs are too. Not a good sign....Im not down and out or anything, just slightly frustrated. I figured it would be a module swap and i would be out the door with just paying my $100.00 deductible. they pulled this on me with my last coil pack failure. I told them it was a coil pack and that i had the same problem 5K mi. ago. 2.7 hrs. of diag later they where removing the supercharger....Convinced the S/C pulley and intake i had installed were causing the problem they were discussing my full pay options. i fought tooth and nail. they finally looked further and discovered a bad coil pack...Im sure they do this for the $$. surely the techs are not that dumb, but i hold my reservations

Last edited by styper526; 02-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Blank Nav Screen help