S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Bonnet (Hood) Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Broken Bonnet (Hood) Cable

Having discovered serious rear subframe rot the other day, I have decided to get rid of the car. However, I wanted to just check that I had left everything OK after working in the engine compartment. So tried to pop the bonnet (hood) and only the drivers side (RHD) released, leaving the passenger side stuck shut. Tried a number of things but it would not release.

So back to the forum and Google and I found a number of references to this, and it seems a common fault for the small release cable in between the two fasteners to fail. Some posts suggested releasing the mechanism from underneath with the valence off. I tried this and there is no way to get to the mechanism that way. So from the posts I saw, the successful work around to get the bonnet open is to try and get in with a metal coat hanger and hook it round the cable or mechanism and pull it open.

However, from the posts I saw, it seemed only those that had a straight grill instead of the mesh type had been successful in doing this. Mine is the mesh grill, so I didn't hold out much hope of getting it done.

Thinking cap on and a good rummage around the garage, I came up with the solution pretty quick and it worked first time. I have a set of electricians cable pullers, which has a short flexible piece that can screw onto the end. I bent a thin gauge nail into a hook and threaded it through the end of this flexible piece. I was then able to feed the puller through the mesh and with a bit of fiddling, managed to get the hook ,around the mechanism and it released. Phew!!!!!!

I have taken a few photos after the event with the bonnet now up, so you can see how I did it.

Its probably old hat to many of you, but I thought I would post it up, just in case it can help some other poor soul out.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by MWMan:
abonano (01-24-2017), Datsports (01-24-2017), Norri (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

i think with your kind of determination , you should just swap out your subframe and carry on . from what i can see it doesn't look a bad car !
good post thanks . i havnt needed to do this but I'm sure the time will come soon enough.
be thankful yours doesn't have the anti theft shields bolted over the catches as some do.

The following users liked this post:
MWMan (01-24-2017)