S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Test Starter without removing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

KARL:

FURTHER to my last message is my second battery test valid to show it is not a weak power supply issue, or is there something still be learnt for your test. I'm needing some long wire before I can do as you instructed. Getting desperate so I may just have to replace starter and solenoid and see what happens. I'm still suspecting wiring to solenoid from key is issue. Dis my test results I posted give any indication on that?

Mike

Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeofBonsall
Getting desperate so I may just have to replace starter and solenoid and see what happens.
Deep breath.

Don't just throw expensive parts at the problem, hoping it will go away.

The test I just gave will mimic a proper signal from ignition switch turned to Start. The results will quickly rule out many potential problems.

Deep breath.

For giggles, use an online Latin translator to decipher the personal motto in my signature. Use this in all troubleshooting endeavors.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM

I know enough latin to get its something you will get a small part or little if you wait? Anyway I have bought the wire and then alligator clips so will be doing your teat tommorow. And I'll get back to you.

Mike

Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

I know enough latin to get its something you will get a small part or little if you wait?
Well, if the Google can be trusted, it's supposed to translate to:

"As little as possible, as long as it takes."

At my day job, some employees have taken it upon themselves to add a ponderous Latin quote to their email signatures. As annoying as this practice is, few care what they mean, let alone bother to translate. Nobody has said boo to me about my slacker's creed.

However, as a professional mechanic, it really does apply. Don't fix stuff that isn't broken. Don't run around like a mad man in hopes of a fix. Don't dig any deeper than required for the task at hand. Most faults have a simple root cause. Be lazy and figure that out, instead of wearing yourself out throwing Hail Mary's. Any system had previously been working, and will work again once you figure it out. Oh well, hopefully you get the idea. It helps to be a detective, and not just a parts-changer.

On a related note, we still don't know all the details of the damaged wiring you had repaired. Where was it on the wiring diagram, and how did you test it after the repair?

will be doing your teat tommorow.
Normally I'm not one to judge, but I'm not comfortable with this. I'll politely decline.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:15 AM

I showed it on the photo but can't read where it is on the schematic. It was a two wire lead (orange and yellow maybe) and as I reported it carried a voltage of 4.5 volts?????? Maybe part of O2 sensors but it disappears behind starter. I tested it by noteing the same 4.5 volts was present in the connector as was in the stub end of the broken wire.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter removal is a pain, It took me awhile to get to the top starter bolt. Using 1/4 drive with short extensions, use of a deep well, amd a short well. Also bought a small mirror with an extension with LED helped considerably getting bolt back in. Only had car jacked up enough to get underneath. Good luck with your project.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

will be doing your teat tommorow. And I'll get back to you.
And almost a year later...

I had forgotten about this thread until it got bumped back up. What was the fix?