S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is running crap after plug change

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running crap after plug change

Ok guys please help passing my beloved 2004 STR over to my son, purchased myself a 2012 Porsche Panamera S.

Changed the plugs on the STR and now it is running like complete crap. Misfiring on very bad. It ran just fine better i changed the plugs. The plugs i used are the Bosch Double Platinum part number 8101.

Are these the correct plugs? If not what are the best plugs for her? I done all the maintenance on her and have never had one issues. For changing the hearter air control vavle and radiator, to the dreaded throttle body coolant line that runs under the supercharger.

Could all the coils just died from the plug change. I worked cars for a long time and never seen that happen, but have seen some very strange things happen. Just seem like the wrong plugs to me. For the first time and time i did even pay attenion to what came out of her. She has 101000 on the dail now. Had 63000 when bought her. Beside the common issues she has been great and i love the STR. My son has been drooling over it since he first seen her. I told if gets a part time job and give me a B average in college, i would pass her over to him on his birthday. The kid work his butt off has a B+ average now and is holding down a full time job. I fell like crap that the car is will not run correctly after a simple plug change.

Please help!!!!

Thanks for all the help in advnace and have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Sq-STR; 11-24-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

They don't sound like the right plugs unless they are genuinely equivalent to the Iridium NGK IFR5N10

You could (should) check fuel trims using OBD, too. Lots of posts about them. Just in case you've caused an air leak.

Caution with the iridiums - the very sharp central electrode is VERY delicate so do NOT touch it with anything hard e.g. avoid metal etc.

Last edited by JagV8; 11-24-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
They don't sound like the right plugs unless they are genuinely equivalent to the Iridium NGK IFR5N10

You could (should) check fuel trims using OBD, too. Lots of posts about them. Just in case you've caused an air leak.

Caution with the iridiums - the very sharp central electrode is VERY delicate so do NOT touch it with anything hard e.g. avoid metal etc.
Yep you comfrimed it for me, these bosch double platinum are not equivalent to the Iridium NGK IFR5N10.
I check for vacuum peaks Nothing, been down that path before when did the hose. I even had brand New MAF for it. Bought it when change the throttle body out. Same thing.

As I she ran great before the plugs. So i have to agree the plugs are not correct.

Ok need to go get the right plugs tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help. I should have none better.

Last edited by Sq-STR; 11-24-2016 at 08:13 AM.