S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fog light bulbs

hey guys..... needing help on how to replace my front fog light bulbs.... is it technical or just get the mechanics to do it?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by danrey
hey guys..... needing help on how to replace my front fog light bulbs.... is it technical or just get the mechanics to do it?
Try this:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=light+change

I wouldn"t have anybody do it, seems very easy. If there are no front panels on yours, jack it up, put it on stands, unscrew the under belly plastic panel towards the front and access the fogs from the rear.

Man I wish I had fog lights. Only thing I deeply DESPISE about STR's.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Mine HAS fog lights

Still haven't found why they took them off. They appear to have split the wide oil cooler which mine has into 2 small ones (in the 2005+ cars) where the fog lights were - but why? What's now in the middle (i.e. where my oil cooler is)?

Last edited by JagV8; 04-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

danrey - the exact procedure varies a bit with the model and year so don't go breaking anything. Would be worth updating your profile with that data

The following users liked this post:
Gatorman67 (10-09-2022)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey, JagV8's comment made me think.....And that could be dangerous!

He's right...The pre 05 STR had foglamps available..The oil cooler was in the center. In the 05 and up cars they put two oil coolers behind the side ducts. They also moved all S Types to the R bumper for 08 and guess what? They offered fog lamps as an option...Now I remember it being said that you DO NOT want to block the oil coolers with the accessory foglamps BUUTTTT....If you were to put in the old style oil cooler what is stopping you from then adding the accessory foglamps? That would be a cool project..I know the foglamps would be pricey since they were only available for a short time but I'm sure you could source the rest of it from wrecked cars...switch, cooler, ect...

Hmmmmmm....just thinking and typing at the same time....

Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM

Why in the world would they not keep the oil cooler in the center? I mean C'mon now, the only cars that have spots for foglights but are missing tend to be on entry level packages, with minimal options. The 05+ STR's SHOULD have them and was a huge mistake, in my opinion, by Jag. Would have looked 10x better. The only thing I could do was get that Mina front grill kit and and cover up those front black slats with grill matching mesh inserts. Looks great but would definately rather have the fogs. Driving at dusk with just fogs, and parking lights on with no headlights is a great look. I miss that, and of course the extra width they give to the lighting spectrum.

Last edited by Bull27; 04-16-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff - quite. My 2004 STR has the fogs (and central oil cooler).

Joe - beats me.... but I'd like to understand why jag made the change (just for the sake of knowing, really).

The 05 STR had a number of body tweaks... could they have meant the central oil cooler would no longer fit? I'm struggling to believe that, though.

I think it's illegal in some places to drive with just fogs (the clue's in the name), but that's hardly full justification. Heck, we'd all be driving with daytime running lights.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Jeff - quite. My 2004 STR has the fogs (and central oil cooler).

Joe - beats me.... but I'd like to understand why jag made the change (just for the sake of knowing, really).

The 05 STR had a number of body tweaks... could they have meant the central oil cooler would no longer fit? I'm struggling to believe that, though.

I think it's illegal in some places to drive with just fogs (the clue's in the name), but that's hardly full justification. Heck, we'd all be driving with daytime running lights.
Im sure Jags engineers could have figured it out. Whether it was a cost-effective change (which I tend to believe), or a necessary change (not likely), regardless, you pay alot for an STR and they should have foglights. Haha just talking about it makes me pi*sed.

I can just imagine how good it would look with some high performance bulbs in the fogs, and just the LED pure white bulbs (tint of blue) parking/running lights I have going with no headlights. Arrrgghhhhh

Most people around these parts drive with that combo (fogs and parking lights), or just parking lights aound dusk. I dont think it is against the law at all, never heard of it. Didnt pick up on the clue?

PS Hate all of you with foglights, I hope a bulb burns out!!!

Last edited by Bull27; 04-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fog lights rule!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Here is a little picture that shows the fog lamps in the R bumper from 08.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

errr racking the brain on this 1

Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
errr racking the brain on this 1
It is illegal in Jersey and Ohio to drive with just fogs after dark but perfectly legal at dusk and dawn....

Not that I do it...I actually drive with my high beams on during the day..I know it's obnoxious and I wouldn't do if it wasn't for the fact that I get cut off or stuck behind a left lane bandit about 50% less when they are on vs. off...Go figure. But like I've always said..Ohio drivers are the worst...

Last edited by JOsworth; 04-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

sorry for hi-jacking, I don't see Ohio and Jersey in "fog lights" or clue in the name.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Funny thing is, I think I've only had my fogs on once in the 13 months I've had my STR (t was foggy lol).

The 05 is a bit longer than the earlier STR, I understand. An inch or thereabouts. The change (2nd facelift but pretty subtle) was about style rather than engineering, or at least was portrayed as such. So maybe the fogs were "just" a casualty. Makes no sense to me.

And then in 06 they added VVT on the STR and that extra 10hp. I don't think the fogs change was at the same time but could be wrong on that.

edit: (wow, so many posts while I was slowly typing)

I guess that 08 R bumper can have fogs except on the STR.

You're all kidding on the "fog" clue, right?

Last edited by JagV8; 04-16-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Funny thing is, I think I've only had my fogs on once in the 13 months I've had my STR (t was foggy lol).
Me to, I laugh when I see everyone driving around with them on for no apparent reason!

You're all kidding on the "fog" clue, right?
yeah I was...... I must be brain dead!

Oregon? too

Last edited by joycesjag; 04-16-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: guess
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Bull27
PS Hate all of you with foglights, I hope a bulb burns out!!!
So what if it does... I just pop the panel off of the lower grill and reach in an change it..In fact I changed mine to amber so I actually have a spare set....Na Na Na Na...

BTW Bull, It's OK to be pissed...I get the same way talking about the stupid @ss wiper design...What jack @ss made it so the washer nozzle is part of the mounting clip..Just so you can't use those nice new Bosch blades!

Oh, so I'm not a total hijacker...To the original poster..I just looked at some pictures (don't have JTIS with me) but it looks like a pre-05 foglamp has an access panel just like the 05 and up. If you look at your lower grill area you'll notice both ends have a seam..Those are pop out panels so you can reach in and undo the socket and change the bulb..I know for sure it works that way on the 05 and up.

And yes Jag and Rick..I was being sarcastic as well...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
So what if it does... I just pop the panel off of the lower grill and reach in an change it..In fact I changed mine to amber so I actually have a spare set....Na Na Na Na...

BTW Bull, It's OK to be pissed...I get the same way talking about the stupid @ss wiper design...What jack @ss made it so the washer nozzle is part of the mounting clip..Just so you can't use those nice new Bosch blades!

Oh, so I'm not a total hijacker...To the original poster..I just looked at some pictures (don't have JTIS with me) but it looks like a pre-05 foglamp has an access panel just like the 05 and up. If you look at your lower grill area you'll notice both ends have a seam..Those are pop out panels so you can reach in and undo the socket and change the bulb..I know for sure it works that way on the 05 and up.

And yes Jag and Rick..I was being sarcastic as well...
Jeff,

It must have been the same moron who designed the wipers so that you have to raise the hood to change them. When it freezes over you can't raise the wipers off the windshield. Also, it makes for a dandy snow trap.

Mike

Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Bull,

The easy solution for your STR is to go for that Euro-police cruiser look. Order a set of roof-rack-mounted fog lights and you're all set, man. Still need those "curb feelers", though....

Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Bull,

The easy solution for your STR is to go for that Euro-police cruiser look. Order a set of roof-rack-mounted fog lights and you're all set, man. Still need those "curb feelers", though....
Ya I'm right on that:

Name:  jaguar-xf-copper-car_preview.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  31.4 KB

Maybe I should have been more clear.

1) By "parallel park alot", I really meant the wife takes the car sometimes, or is the designated driver seeing as she is pregnant and I pretty much have a life threatening heart attack everytime she "sets up" and begins the manuever. Myself, I dont care, ill leave it 1/2-3/4 feet from the curb if its dark and I dont feel comfortable. Of course that sets you up for the person parked behind more likely to clip your bumper when they are leaving because the as* end is sticking out. Parallel Parking = Lose Lose situation.

2) By "I wish I had fog lights", really means, I wish I had foglights so I can use them for nothing more than aesthetics and love every minute of it.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's okay, Joe. I caught the disguised innuendo. I lived too many years in CA...LOL!

Quick Reply: Changing fog light bulbs