S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir tank replacment

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 134 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the photos aholbro1. I guess the newer tanks have lighter blue plastic for the level sensor connection? I did call CarQuest today. They would have to order it also, so might as well order it online. The guy didn't know if it would be the one with the sensor built in or not. I would guess not as they quoted me the same $95 for it that totalimmortal363 got. I did contact a few dealerships here to see what their part price will be for it. Haven't heard back yet.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

It's actually gray, but I agree it looks blue in pics.
That came off our 03 that we acquired in late 08.
Fearing it was original, I went ahead and changed it as the 05 already sprung a leak.
Bought both my replacements from the dealer and both included cap and sensor.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Ok just got a replacement from Hennesey Jaguar in Atlanta. Just a little bit over $100, so cheaper than online and didn't have to pay for shipping. Everything is mostly in. The level sensor plastic on mine is black this time. So I suppose the plastic color doesn't mean anything. A few final questions so I can finish this right.

1) How far does the top hose need to be pushed back on the plastic nipple (see attached pic)? I know it was all the way on on the original fitting, I'm just afraid of breaking the nipple again if I push to hard. Anyone use silicone lubricant for this? What tool do you use for the hose clamp? I was using regular pliers, but the keep slipping off.

2) do I need to do something to flush the air out when i put more coolant in, or can I just fill it and go?

Thanks for the help again everybody. I'm nearly back on the road! Ok I'll post the photo in the next post. I'm on my phone and won't let me attach a picture.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Ok, here's a photo of the top hose and clamp.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant reservoir tank replacment-top-hose-clamp.jpg  

Last edited by sjuraud; 03-28-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Photo wouldn't attach properly
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

I usually use liquid soap for such applications. There's a tool I shoulda bought a loooonggg time ago and still don't have! I always use channel-lock pliars on those. For the really small ones like this one, have also had good success with my right-angle needle-nose.

I've attached the drain/fill procedure from JTIS.

I'd seat the hose all the way on, given they bothered to cut a little relief in the end of it for the rib on the tank....if for no other reason than it looks "finished." Push on the first bend in the hose whilst using your other hand to keep it straight along the nipple....but yeah...gotta be careful to apply axial force only, no moments allowed! even though your new one is fairly robust right now, hasn't yet started to turn to oatmeal due to exposure to the coolant. In the very end..to work, you need only the clamp engaged fully on the hose and fwd of the flare on the nipple, so if it doesn't feel right and you can get that much....roll with it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Coolant Drain_Refill.pdf (767.8 KB, 961 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by aholbro1:
jag79 (05-24-2012), Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-23-2016), sjuraud (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Just finished replacing the tank, went pretty well. Took about 30 minutes all said and done, rather easy. Anyone that needs to do this, skip the dealer and do it yourself, it's cake!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Yep, finished mine this morning! Aholbro1, the liquid soap tip helped a lot as did the JTIS info. It was a little hard to get the hose moving at first, but once it started moving the soap took effect. Now I'm back up and running again. Thanks again to everyone that contributed. I'll put a link in S-Type FAQ to make it easier for anyone else doing this change out. I'll post the part number from the dealer so people can search for the most recent version of this part.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the tank in my '07. I bought the part from Autoparts warehouse, went for OES with a cheaper price and paid extra for the overnight shipping. Everything went smoothly thanks to all the info on this forum.

Thanks for all the insight and information

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Wow, a 2007 S-Type already needing the coolant reservoir tank replaced. Further evidence of just how lousy the plastic is in these particular units. Wish there was a better-made option available on the aftermarket. Doesn't have to be metal - the factory coolant reservoir tank components in my 1999 Ram are also plastic and tough as nails. Nary a leak in more than 12 years....

Our 2005 S-Type's reservoir tank was replaced as part of the repairs required from being plowed in the front end back in August 2009. Guess I'd better add it to my weekly under-the-hood checklist....

Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Just to be clear the tank was NOT leaking, well i guess it was, the return line nipple along the top of the tank broke.
I tried to repair with Permatex no luck so I had to replace the whole tank.
Looks like this nipple is easily snapped when someone leans into the car resting their hand on the reservoir tank or when moving rubber hoses about

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nycoolbreez
Looks like this nipple is easily snapped when someone leans into the car resting their hand on the reservoir tank or when moving rubber hoses about
That may well be....however...it will also crumble, crack, deteriorate, break, or otherwise lose it's integrity necessitating replacement of the tank all on its own....which I think Jon is alluding to - a bit of a surprise that an 07 is already there..yet it is already 2011...and the nipple on the other end of that hose (part of much more expensive rad hose asy) also prone to the problem, (but not to being leaned on or messed with) went on my daughter's 03 in the fall of 08....so only one yr more......

Not much option, unfortunately...15 psi, + heat + water/glycol....if the neck was taller you may be able to drill it out and put in a brass nipple...think some have tried...mos'ly unsuccesfully...you just don't have the room.

Come to think of it....I'm not really sure anyone's tank, per se, has actually leaked...moreso the fittings and ports....

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aholbro, I was looking at the .pdf about the Coolant drain & refill and I was wondering if it's the same procedure for Supercharged? because it's written Vehicles without supercharger above the image.

I had to change a hose on my S Type R 2003 and had to change the reservoir as well. I lost a lot of coolant and air must be everywhere in the sytem now... Is there something to do with the supercharger and coolant or just by filling the system by the reservoir it will be ok?

thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes It's different for the supercharged cars. Check the JTIS. Search for some threads on this. There are various ways to accomplish this but just filling from the radiator expansion tank won't work unless you never drained the SC system anyway.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM

does the 4.2 liter have the same disconect fo the resevoir

Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
The bottom connection has a small wire clip that holds the fitting on. You have to carefully pull the clip out then the hose will come right off.
After removing this clip, our lower hose was "stuck" on pretty tight, I had to use a big flat head screwdriver to pry hose off of nipple.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
After removing this clip, our lower hose was "stuck" on pretty tight, I had to use a big flat head screwdriver to pry hose off of nipple.
Use the lube!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secondary leak?

I believe I'm another victim of the cracked reservoir nipple..

Question for you STR owners: Did you see some of the leaking fluid run down the return tube and end up on top of the supercharger snout? If not, I've got a secondary leak....

Old 10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

You need to pressure check the system when cold. My 2005 STR has had two pin hole leaks in heater hoses. I am pretty sure that I cracked the tank nipple during those repairs. If you read how and when that kind leak happens it is often after some repairs were done to the front of the engine. Like a belt, thermostat or hose change. Even the dealers break them. So I think it's more mechanical failure than heat or coolant caused.

Now other people do have a cracked tanks which is age and heat cycle related.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks to everyone in the thread above. Just got home from a "trusted" mechanic who quoted me $800 to replace the coolant reservoir and lower PCV valve grommet assembly on my '00 3.0 S-Type. From what I've read above, and with the fact I've worked on my own cars for years, I don't see how the hell their justifying that cost. If anyone knows something I'm not considering on this, please chime in. Thanks in advance, wish I'd found this site two years ago when I bought her.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Default coolant tank

You got reamed in the Jag if You payed that. I took wifes 05 s-type 4.2 to our local chevy dealer to replace tank,do oilchange and service and the total cost was $89.00. I had already ordered the tank.

Quick Reply: Coolant reservoir tank replacment