S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really have to take the blower off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Do I really have to take the blower off?

Okay, so I have a bad knock sensor. Got the replacement today (2 actually, might as well change them both, its cheap) and started checking JTIS on how to change them. Apparently I have to take the supercharger off! Seriously? Now, I know that sometimes JTIS tells you to do things sometimes that you don't have to do, but sometimes it is right. So, to anyone out there who knows, do I have to take the blower off to change my knock sensor? I was planning on doing it this weekend, but if I actually do have to remove the blower, there are some other things I'm going to replace while I'm at it, like that coolant hose under the blower. Mine is fine as far as I know, but after almost 10 years and 200,000Km, I'll just change it if I'm in there anyway! Better safe than sorry. So, do I have to look forward to the joy of taking that blower off?
Thanks

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

A. Yes, you must remove the blower to reach the under the intake manifold knock sensor.

B. Are you absolutely sure the sensor is faulty? It is rare for the sensors to fail.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 AM

A) Alright then! I have something to look forward to now.

B) Well, have a steady P0333. Comes back whenever its cleared and Restricted Performance flashes on and off. Sometimes it stays on for a while, then goes away and so on.

From what I have been able to find, that points to bad knock sensor, bank 2. Everything else is working great. I've checked all I can check short of replacing the sensor, which is why I'm replacing it! If you have any suggestions on what to check that I'm missing I'd be happy to hear them and have a look. However, I believe that the sensor is bad. I know it is rare for one to fail, but the car is getting older and the miles are getting high. As well, it has a harsh life weather wise with winters being fridged and summers being boiling (supposed to be about 95 here today). I know from past experiance that this climate has a habbit of killing things on cars that shouldn't die!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,495 Likes on 3,911 Posts

I suppose it could be a wire that's shorting but the KS2 itself sounds more likely

Maybe this will help a bit (KS = # 19)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pg92-3.pdf (156.1 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by JagV8; 07-11-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: revised PDF
The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (07-23-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I just changed those heater hoses on a 06 RR supercharged yesterday. Definitely do them while you are there! As I learned (since we don't replace those sensors or hoses very often), you may not need to pull the intercoolers at all. The blower fits up between the intercoolers.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Okay, so the blower is going to come off! I'm going to replace everything I can think of that requires a blower removal, like any hoses or gaskets or seals or whatever. I will definately replace the heater hoses. I think you're right about the intercoolers not having to come off, but I guess I'll see when I'm in there! I was thinking about taking them off anyway and giving them a good clean. Remocing all those years of dirt and oil and whatever else is on them can only improve cooling! I'll probably do the blower oil as well, maybe the thermostate too. Anything else I should replacing?
Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Might be some useful info in the thread posted quite a while ago by ttwotees

Looks like this one https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-repair-38911/

Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM

I was just going through that thread earlier! Great info in there on parts, tips tricks etc.. Looks to be like this job isn't really hard, just time consuming and lots of fiddling with hidden bolts. Its a Jag, what else is new! Just putting together a parts list and then hopefully tomorrow I can go to my dealer and see what they can get for me and how soon!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM

So I got my list of parts together, but I'm wondering about the thermostat. I checked out ebay and you can get the complete housing, seals, ect thing but is that the one for the R? I checked the EPC and they list a different one for the 4.2 NA and the R. Is this correct or is it the same part for each. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,174 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Okay, so the blower is going to come off! I'm going to replace everything I can think of that requires a blower removal, like any hoses or gaskets or seals or whatever. I will definately replace the heater hoses. I think you're right about the intercoolers not having to come off, but I guess I'll see when I'm in there! I was thinking about taking them off anyway and giving them a good clean. Remocing all those years of dirt and oil and whatever else is on them can only improve cooling! I'll probably do the blower oil as well, maybe the thermostate too. Anything else I should replacing?
Thanks
You may want to consider changing the blower drive coupler while the blower is off. Pretty cheap parts. That is what causes a rattle noise when they are worn. Best place for SC oil is your local GM parts counter.

You might even want to change the bearings on the blower.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

So I got my list of parts together, but I'm wondering about the thermostat. I checked out ebay and you can get the complete housing, seals, ect thing but is that the one for the R? I checked the EPC and they list a different one for the 4.2 NA and the R. Is this correct or is it the same part for each. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
The housing is completely different between NA and SC.

Either order the GATES from RockAuto if you have time, or grab it from NAPA. What you will get when you actually open the box is a genuine WAXSTAT as fitted at the factory. It is small volume, so they just repackage the OEM and call it a day.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

A) Alright then! I have something to look forward to now.

B) Well, have a steady P0333. Comes back whenever its cleared and Restricted Performance flashes on and off. Sometimes it stays on for a while, then goes away and so on.

From what I have been able to find, that points to bad knock sensor, bank 2. Everything else is working great. I've checked all I can check short of replacing the sensor, which is why I'm replacing it! If you have any suggestions on what to check that I'm missing I'd be happy to hear them and have a look. However, I believe that the sensor is bad. I know it is rare for one to fail, but the car is getting older and the miles are getting high. As well, it has a harsh life weather wise with winters being fridged and summers being boiling (supposed to be about 95 here today). I know from past experiance that this climate has a habbit of killing things on cars that shouldn't die!
Just slightly curious as to why you choose to end each sentence with an exclamations (!) ? LOL, dude...it kinda makes me think yer either angry or yelling in a Canadian winter storm, LOL...U hoser. Just kidding...but really.

Last edited by bfsgross; 07-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Just slightly curious as to why you choose to end each sentence with an exclamations (!) ? LOL, dude...it kinda makes me think yer either angry or yelling in a Canadian winter storm, LOL...U hoser. Just kidding...but really.
It must be at your end. Not seeing it here. Not even in your quote.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

I see about one per entire post, hardly excessive. If anyone sees lots more.... I don't know why.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,295 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Yes the STR has a nice Aluminum thermostat housing while the NA 4.2's use plastic. The plastic seems to degrade with time and heat. It's sort of a common problem area. Also a problem on the V-6 models.

On the STR just change the thermostat and for once it's a really easy job even if you are not removing the blower!

With all those miles you might consider a blower rebuild?? Is the blower still quiet?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM

What! exclamation! points!?! lol Sometimes I don't pay attention when I'm typing and forget I'm using them!!!!!!!!!! Must be this Winnipeg climate. -40C in the winter, 40C in the summer, guess it messes with me brain sometimes.

Anyway, I'll check out Rockauto for the t-stat, I usually get stuff from them anyway. If I had known I would have ordered it with my knock sensors which I also got from them. My blower is dead quiet, so I don't know if it needs a rebuild. All its miles are highway cruising so I don't think it's a hard life for the blower. I will take a good listen to it one of these days and see if I hear anything. I won't get a chance to do this work for a few weeks (have to collect all the parts and find the time to do the work) so I'll see what I need to add to the list, if anything. Thanks for all the help!

Just checked rockauto and for 03 STR they only have one t-stat, and its VIN cutoff is before mine. Am I missing something?

Last edited by WinterJag; 07-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

You don't have to replace it now.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,295 Likes on 1,804 Posts

My 2005 STR uses Jaguar AJ86484 W/gasket List $52

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default "!"

Originally Posted by JagV8
I see about one per entire post, hardly excessive. If anyone sees lots more.... I don't know why.
LOL. Jagv8, yer kidding me you bloak!!!!! (pun intended). The OP uses the "!" at the end of each sentence in each post. All's good with me and the OP. He understands a little ribbing. Now lighten up a little Johnny.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL. Jagv8, yer kidding me you bloak!!!!! (pun intended). The OP uses the "!" at the end of each sentence in each post. All's good with me and the OP. He understands a little ribbing. Now lighten up a little Johnny.
Your original post claimed an exclamation mark at the "end of every sentence on every post". You were simply being informed that other viewers were not seeing it on their screens. That is entirely accurate.

Therefore the underlined bit is somewhat unfair.

Last edited by plums; 07-13-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Do I really have to take the blower off?