Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drag strip tmrw any tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default drag strip tmrw any tips

I'm hoping to run really low 13s high
12s if I'm super lucky. My mods are only a custom intake pipe, mina style filter setup, x-pipe and magnaflows. The pulley will be installed in a week or two. Only draw back is I have 255/40/19s and track prep probably sucks because it's opening day.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by amgeater
I'm hoping to run really low 13s high
12s if I'm super lucky. My mods are only a custom intake pipe, mina style filter setup, x-pipe and magnaflows. The pulley will be installed in a week or two. Only draw back is I have 255/40/19s and track prep probably sucks because it's opening day.
You will probably be mid 13s. 19" wheels kill your times your launch is all suspension. I had better times using j gate than auto.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Yea I was baseing the times off your times with just the exhaust mod since I thought power would be similar. Xjrs have 19s and run faster times than str's so I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down especially since the sabre wheels seem really light.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Yea I was baseing the times off your times with just the exhaust mod since I thought power would be similar. Xjrs have 19s and run faster times than str's so I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down especially since the sabre wheels seem really light.
Last year I was not happy with 255/35/18 street tires. Bad 60ft. This year I try with these: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ion-jag_dr-jpg
255/50/16 ET Street Radials using 14-15PSI. Target for 60ft: 1.85 .

Last edited by XJR-99; 03-30-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Lots of good discussions have been had on this in the past. Search my name or 1320 racer. Cliffs notes: drive around the water box, dsc off, s mode on, keep it in d do not use the j gate, ease into the throttle off the line so you get minimal wheels spin. Let the car cool down 45 min before each run with the hood open, try not to spend too much time in the staging lanes. Remove all spare weight like the spare tire, jack, floor mats...etc

Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rasputin
Lots of good discussions have been had on this in the past. Search my name or 1320 racer. Cliffs notes: drive around the water box, dsc off, s mode on, keep it in d do not use the j gate, ease into the throttle off the line so you get minimal wheels spin. Let the car cool down 45 min before each run with the hood open, try not to spend too much time in the staging lanes. Remove all spare weight like the spare tire, jack, floor mats...etc
I did 0.1 seconds better using J Gate despite hitting rev limiter several times on each run than auto. Wheel spin on a heavily used track should be a non issue as there is so much rubber laid down on the track. On the track I go to it sounds like velcro as you roll up slowly due to all the hot melted rubber on the track. I did not ease of line either, I even applied the brake and gas to 1,000 rpm to launch and dropped brake and hit gas all the way at green, never spun (cant say same holds for true for street where I spin forever). Look at a few runs, learn the lights. Go on last yellow dont wait for green. If you hear tires sticking as they roll you will know your track is sticky and you wont spin. Avoid water box or everyone will hate you.

Due to the j gate / no j gate debate, experiment with both and see what works for you. I did better with j gate, I just have to learn the proper shift point to avoid hitting rev limiter. Dont forget to take out your spare tire, I forgot both times I went. My 19s are lighter than my OEM 18s but they dont help with launch, all squat for grip assist is being done via tight suspension. Try deflating rear tires a bit I didn't do that but people were telling me it would help.

BTW, my car dynoed at same number that a Jeep SRT8 w/ full exhaust mods dynoed at so I am guessing 420-430 chp. My best run was 0.2XX reaction time, 13.3X quarter mile, and 106 mph trap. I turned off DSC, and put sport mode on. I turned off everything like air conditioner, lights, etc. I took out what I could to save weight but forgot to take out spare, and had half a tank of gas. I weigh 215 lbs. They did not weigh me and my car so I do not know total weight, but the car is still a big heavy pig. I have H&R springs and rubberband tires fully inflated on 19x10" rear wheels. I hit rev limiter at least twice on every run. I am guessing with smaller rear wheels and bigger and slightly delfated tires, and without hitting rev limiter, I would be closer to 13 seconds flat. My mods include (in order of intake to exhaust): 1) K&N filter, 2) Qwikertz intake elbow, 3) 1.5# supercharger pulley, Magnaflow high flow cats, and Magnflow resonated Tru-X pipes. I drove my car 15 minutes to track so I had heat soak. Overall it was a blast and you will have fun

Call your track and see if you need a helmet, long sleeves, closed toed shoes (i.e., no sandals) and pants prior to going. Try to go with 1/8 tank. Have a great time and let us know your numbers!

Finally, be prepared to see more Mustangs than you have ever seen in your life. I swear 9/10 cars will be Mustangs lol. I gave a modded new model Mustang GT with mods a run for its money (I had him on the start, ended with my front bumper in line with his rear bumper).

Last edited by Under Pressure; 03-29-2013 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Way to go underpressure. You gave me some momentum to get to the track this spring/summer. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM

2.1 60ft 13.9@101. Without letting the car cool down. Everyone was running slower. My buddies 13 m3 was doing 13.3-13.5. I think the open filter is slowing me down. The car feels a lot slower now that it's warmer out.

Time for new plugs,pulley,try to get the Mina heat shield or find the stock airbox

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

What was the DA at the track?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM

I got 13.7 spinning all the way thru first, and it shifting/hesitating at 4000rpm in first because of the one tire fire explosion. Sounds like a bad DA. How did the car run? Redline and traction at every gear? At Lear hopefully you had fun?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default Mina Intake

2.1 60ft 13.9@101. Without letting the car cool down. Everyone was running slower. My buddies 13 m3 was doing 13.3-13.5. I think the open filter is slowing me down. The car feels a lot slower now that it's warmer out.

Time for new plugs,pulley,try to get the Mina heat shield or find the stock airbox
As you're aware, the Mina intake has a heat shield that effectively isolates the open air element from warm underhood air. Fresh plugs and a clean MAF sensor can help. Look to other causes of less than ideal timeslips. Do a run with a cool engine, 5 gallons of 93 octane, DSC off, 20 lbs pressure in the rear, and a quick gradual depression of the throttle as a means to avoid a bog or tire spin. On the street I've blown many launches and by the time I get it right she's begun to heatsoak. Water Wetter was added mid last year and the low temp. thermostat may be added again.
A 1.5 or 3 lb pulley will make her feel like a lower set of gears are at hand. Do you have the Qwiketz or Caldoofy air intake tube?

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-31-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM

Yea my 60ft times were actually good compared to other rwd cars that night. I didn't make it clear before but I've been drag racing for a while. I made my own 3' intake tube. But I think the open filter slowed me down. I'm going to order the pulley and heat shield asap. I already have x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. I think I'm going to pass on
highflow cats.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

You'll miss out on some hp without Magnaflow cats. These really allow the open air element, intake tube, and smaller pulley do their job more efficiently.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM

Pics of your home made intake or else....bet u that is the issue sir!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Seems a bit on the slow side for a lightly modded STR, but maybe we can help you recover a bit of lost power somewhere,
For reference, do you happen to know what your buddy with the new M3 trapped at? (mph)

Do you happen to know what the DA (altitude) at that particular track is?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM

My buddies m3 was trapping around 110. I lined up against a challenger 392 which should run mid 12s which only pulled a 14.1. I'll get pics of my intake but it's def not an issue. I was at great lakes dragaway the elevation is 1200ft I think. My thinking it was the open filter was based on the fact that when it was colder out there was a big difference and not just based on heat soak. I would be dead even with my buddies 2012 ss camaro when it was colder out.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM

I think I'm going to pass on
highflow cats.
Mine were a pain w/ CEL it took several trips to the shop to finally get it to work, we ended up using O2 extenders. Now that it works perfectly I am okay with it but given the headaches it caused til we went with the O2 extender route, I wouldn't have done it again. The OEM cats are already pretty small. I swapped mine out because my car had ~ 70k miles when I did this and I figured they probably were clogged up a little anyway with residue and it was cheaper than replacing with OEM cats. I also had some issues with exhaust leaks that were finally resolved. It was a pain in the rear, but it finally works great. Its a mod I do not strongly endorse unless you are patient or you get a more restrictive OBD2 compliant high flow cat (I used an OBD1 based on all the recommendations here)

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Not trying to step on any ones feet or condescend but... the install of hi-flow (sport) cats should not set of a CEL. O2 extenders simply remove the sensor outside the majority of the exhaust stream as a means to satisfy the ECU's "burnt fuel sniff test", so it can accomadate the emissions itch whilst maintaining perfect stochiometry. Something's still wrong; likely a vaccume leak. A smoke test can uncover most major vaccume leaks. The OEM cats, though fairly efficient, are still a major obstruction in the process of sucking in then pumping out air. Go with a pair of 2 1/4" Magnaflow hi-flow (49 state legal) cats. Like the noticeable improvement the Mina intake and modded air intake tube provide, sport cats really compliment this process; more power.