S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS DVD Updates for 2006 Jag S-type Factory Nav Systems

Old 06-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS DVD Updates for 2006 Jag S-type Factory Nav Systems

I've discovered that Jaguar Corporate told HERE!, the makers of the DVDs containing the map and navigation system software for the up-to 2008 S-type with built-in Navigation to make no more DVD upgrades for the navigation system in the S-type vehicles. I've verified this with HERE! customer service, Jaguar customer service, and Alpine customer service. Last updates are 2011-2012. Alpine is the OEM for the stereo/CD player/Nav system. I wrote a letter to Joe Eberhardt, President Jaguar North America to express displeasure with this. The letter was intecepted by a Senior Executive Liaison who passed my comments to Engineering. She's basically told me "don't hold your breath" for a resolution. I've explained via return email that making an expensive option become obsolete on a car that has plenty of life left in it is unacceptabale to consumers.

I've spoken with Alpine cusstomer service who say they have no upgrade path available. I've tried other after-market suppliers with no joy. I've asked the Jaguar Executive Liaison to request that HERE! publish the updated DVD contents on their website for download if HERE! don't want to fiddle with making DVDs. User can download the data and burn their own DVD's. No joy on that one.

The heater/air conditioner controls are also supported through the touch-screen user interface, further complicating replacing the factory unit with a nav/entertainment unit that fits the hole in the dash but can't support the other car systems control via that UI.

If anyone has ideas for works-around to I'm anxious to hear about them.

Nate Kirschman

Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 PM

Well Nate, I am waiting for a Nav DVD upgrade myself for my recently purchased S-Type. The latest one you mentioned. Should be here tomorrow. I think that one, for $50, should be good enough for me because I don't have one. Better than nothing. This is the first car I have owned with a Nav system. Can't see paying $200 for it either!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by AirCommando
Well Nate, I am waiting for a Nav DVD upgrade myself for my recently purchased S-Type. The latest one you mentioned. Should be here tomorrow. I think that one, for $50, should be good enough for me because I don't have one. Better than nothing. This is the first car I have owned with a Nav system. Can't see paying $200 for it either!
Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your S-type. They really are great automobiles, fun to drive.

Not sure where and how you got the DVD for $50.00 but hopefully it works. HERE! wants $199.00 + tax and shipping. Takes weeks to get a return authorization and refund.

We were trying to travel in southern Maryland and the DC area. Big wake-up when GPS tries to turn us onto roads that no longer exist. Lots of new major roads and roads that were there no longer are in the DC area. Makes for confusing GPS travel, had to fall back to iPhone and Google Maps navigation. Fumbling with the iPhone while driving is not best idea, especially in DC traffic.

Nate

Old 06-24-2015, 12:28 AM

Fumbling with the I-phone is what I did on a recent trip to the SoCal beaches! Then the phone battery goes dead and I don't have a mobile charger.

I ordered the latest disc from navdvdmaps.com, $49.99+$8.01 shipping=$58 total.

I even get lost every time I go to Redding!

This car sure likes these roads up here! So I figure it will be fun at least trying to use the factory system.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I need to update mine as well but I hope is a lot better than the 2005 version which is missing a ton of cities and roads which have been around for at least 150 years and are still there. It was downright awful on recent trip to PA. It's also very sensitive and stubborn about how you enter destinations. Approximate names is something it does not do. Either you enter it the way it has it cataloged or forget it.

I wonder is they've made any improvements in that area?

My Garmin is better but it has "other" issues.

Fortunately I'm not a GPS dependent person. I still carry maps and I do use Google maps thought their latest format is worlds worse than the previous version.

AAA maps and decent trip planning still rules and is the most reliable.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DVD map for Jaguar S type

Hello, data date = June 21, 2015

As many said - $200.00 is a lot of money JUST for a few updates or actually destination entry's.

I also verified the 2011/2012 is the last DVD.

Here is where I obtained a DVD 2012 for $58.00 - that is the price for the DVD and shipping $49.99 + 8.01 shipping = $58.00
I have been using the disc for about two weeks now - business as usual.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:00 PM

I've only been trying to use mine for a week. Got it from the same place, but sure took a long time!

This is the first nav system I have ever had, and I can't figure out why it only lets me enter pre-suggested letters for an address. Can't figure out how to enter a space for a two worded street name either.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

You may find this attachment useful, starting at p59

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Touch Screen Display.pdf (4.53 MB, 1085 views)
AirCommando (07-08-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered one from this place yesterday.
I've never updated my GPS map before so I'll have to read up on any special steps to be taken?

My current map is the 2002-2003 Denso one.

I believe that some changes have been made as to how it operates like being able to enter a destination WO stopping?

The system is way too attention grabbing for a driver to do this but a passenger certainly can.

Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by joseph2010
Hello, data date = June 21, 2015

As many said - $200.00 is a lot of money JUST for a few updates or actually destination entry's.

I also verified the 2011/2012 is the last DVD.

Here is where I obtained a DVD 2012 for $58.00 - that is the price for the DVD and shipping $49.99 + 8.01 shipping = $58.00
I have been using the disc for about two weeks now - business as usual.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM

To ENTER a space use the SPACE button. Look closely it is there.

To load the DVD meaning 'update to a newer DVD version - I turned the key to 'accessory' (did not have the engine running) - pressed the button on the DVD in the trunk - the 'old' DVD slides out. Insert the 'new' DVD - it goes through the loading automatically - just do not do anything until it is finished. It will go to the familiar home screen. The screen giving the warning to pay attention to your driving whilst using the device - with the button to 'agree'

I have not noticed any shortcomings. I deliberately use it when I do not have a need to see if anything is amiss. Anyway - I do like the price.

Last edited by joseph2010; 07-09-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM

Enter a destination without stopping - NO, that is a safety issue. An unsafe act!
The only time you can enter something is the 'home' button and I believe 'previous destinations'.

AirCommando (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM

The only time you can enter something is the 'home' button and I believe 'previous destinations'.

Well, I was trying to enter an address before I started out to be clear. Got the space figured out. So when the street name gets close, it won't let me choose the right letters to enter the complete name, it greys out the letters, and suggests streets anywhere in the USA!

BTW, the street shows up on the map correctly.

Duh! What an idiot! It helps if you change the search area to your area and not one on the other coast! Got it!

Last edited by AirCommando; 07-10-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Figured it out!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Enter a destination without stopping - NO, that is a safety issue. An unsafe act!
I agree for the driver but frankly there is so much crap in new cars that's just as bad of a distraction. I rented a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis this spring and you didn't have to stop ... It also took us two days to figure out how to use their GPS system. They have a very different approach

mastersid (07-15-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I ordered one from this place yesterday.
I've never updated my GPS map before so I'll have to read up on any special steps to be taken?

My current map is the 2002-2003 Denso one.

I believe that some changes have been made as to how it operates like being able to enter a destination WO stopping?

The system is way too attention grabbing for a driver to do this but a passenger certainly can.

Fingers crossed.
Well they took my payment and that's as far as it got. I'll check back next week.

This doesn't make me feel real great though:

is navdvdmaps.com a scam or legit | navdvdmaps.com trust reviews |check navdvdmaps.com for fraud and risk | is navdvdmaps.com safe or fake

But since a couple of you HAVE gotten discs I'm still optimistic. I think ....

Old 07-10-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Well they took my payment and that's as far as it got. I'll check back next week.

This doesn't make me feel real great though:

is navdvdmaps.com a scam or legit | navdvdmaps.com trust reviews |check navdvdmaps.com for fraud and risk | is navdvdmaps.com safe or fake

But since a couple of you HAVE gotten discs I'm still optimistic. I think ....

After a couple weeks and no disc, I thought it was a scam. I got patient though, and the disc did arrive. Seems like it took almost 4 weeks because the shipping goes to UPS then USPS.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 AM

I agree!!! Many Folks do NOT have the skill to multi - task behind the wheel.

I probably should have mentioned - it did take a bit of time to receive the disc.

BUT with any proprietor - do not hesitate to send a 'follow up' message or request a status report (please advise as to the status of this order) of the order. With only one exception - I have received a prompt and informative reply.

I can not/will not allow Internet businesses to manifest an lackadaisical attitude toward my business with them. Nor will I allow them to give me "it is the carriers that delay an order". No such thing!!! A Supervisor of an area or section WILL have a difficult time explaining why a mail piece is found in their area of responsibility AFTER the LAST DISPATCH of VALUE! I assure you - CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL BE TAKEN!!!

Last edited by joseph2010; 07-13-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: more information
Old 07-13-2015, 12:10 PM

In case many of you are wondering... UPS or FedEx to USPS

It is good business sense to 'hand off' a piece to the Postal Service as they go to every delivery point home or business (go the distance) in the United States with out fail - EVERY DAY!. UPS and Fed Ex - it is a cost effective way for them to save on time and fuel by handing off to the USPS when they have but a single piece many miles away from their 'other' deliveries that day.
Each carrier has their own unique 'product' to offer the people

For the price of a postage stamp - The United States Postal Service also has the protection offered by the laws that govern the mail - by the Postal Inspection Service.
A small price to pay - instead of buying 'protection' from that business advertised on the radio lately!
I thought buying protection was considered a crime as depicted in organized crime movies???? How did this become an legal business when there are already laws to prosecute. Maybe the Postal Service should ADD - 'and any Internet business or commerce' to the laws.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

A week later and it's STILL in "payment accepted" status ...

It takes week to get a DVD shipped?

Also, since ordering my credit card has been compromised so I need a new account.

Hmmmm ... confidence dropping quickly.

They have two more weeks then I have to cancel the transaction with the credit card company if I don't want to be out the $58.

I do hope it's just a coinkydink.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

I've done many things in life that I regretted. Here's one that I have never regretted...

Took one look at the Jag Nav on my '05 STR, and decided "Not for me". Got a Garmin 1390LMT for $98, including lifetime maps at no extra cost and Bluetooth pairing to my cell-phone for hands-free calls with voice command. Couldn't be easier, couldn't be cheaper, always up-to-date, 4.3" wide, modern graphics, sits by the A/C vent and powered by an USB cable tucked out-of-sight from the cigarette lighter. Now my Jag screen is used only for Climate or Audio.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Garmin as well, a Nuvi. It's a couple of years old now. I had to buy an update for it a few months ago so mine wasn't free.

It makes tons of errors especially in NYC.

Yes it has the voice command for your phone and other functions as well. A $45 system from Parrot which I also have works much better for hands free phone.

But I still need the portable GPS for some of my other cars.

What I really don't like and a big reason why I'm trying to update the in car system for the Jag, but NOT @ $200) is the issue of having it on the windshield and the cords both for the power and the traffic antenna,

I've pitted the two against each other and that's pretty interesting.

For me it's a mixed bag, there's no clear winner. I'm not "blown away" by the Garmin.

$50 makes sense to me for an update to the Jag. I hope it pans out.

Originally Posted by Robinb
I've done many things in life that I regretted. Here's one that I have never regretted...

Took one look at the Jag Nav on my '05 STR, and decided "Not for me". Got a Garmin 1390LMT for $98, including lifetime maps at no extra cost and Bluetooth pairing to my cell-phone for hands-free calls with voice command. Couldn't be easier, couldn't be cheaper, always up-to-date, 4.3" wide, modern graphics, sits by the A/C vent and powered by an USB cable tucked out-of-sight from the cigarette lighter. Now my Jag screen is used only for Climate or Audio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS DVD Updates for 2006 Jag S-type Factory Nav Systems