S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Air Bleeder Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Air Bleeder Valve

I have had problems with the 2001 S Type 4.0 overheating occasionally. On the forum, one of the suggestions was to bleed the air from the cooling system. I am attempting to bleed the air, and I followed the directions posted on here and JTIS. The reserve tank is to the full mark. I loosened the plastic bleeder valve located next to the master cylinder and then ran the engine with the heat on high for about 15 minutes. The engine reached normal operating temp and never overheated. The problem is that the instructions say to allow the car to idle until a steady steam of coolant flows from the bleeder valve. No coolant ever came out. The bleeder valve is extremely loose. Thinking that the engine may not be hot enough to build up pressure, I turned off the heater and ran it for an additional 10 minutes.
Still no coolant from the bleeder valve. Next I completely removed the thumb screw from the bleeder valve, and still no coolant. Any ideas?

Last edited by wendelllambert; 04-25-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Tried additional things.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by wendelllambert
I have had problems with the 2001 S Type 4.0 overheating occasionally. On the forum, one of the suggestions was to bleed the air from the cooling system. I am attempting to bleed the air, and I followed the directions posted on here and JTIS. The reserve tank is to the full mark. I loosened the plastic bleeder valve located next to the master cylinder and then ran the engine with the heat on high for about 15 minutes. The engine reached normal operating temp and never overheated. The problem is that the instructions say to allow the car to idle until a steady steam of coolant flows from the bleeder valve. No coolant ever came out. The bleeder valve is extremely loose. Thinking that the engine may not be hot enough to build up pressure, I turned off the heater and ran it for an additional 10 minutes.
Still no coolant from the bleeder valve. Next I completely removed the thumb screw from the bleeder valve, and still no coolant. Any ideas?
Ok, depends on what service you did to the cooling system. Be very, very careful with that plastic screw. (Are you sure part of it didn't break off in the tube? I only suggest as you said the plastic screw is loose - the length of that screw is about 1.5" - 2") that might explain you're lack of coolant flow. If it did leave it alone. Bleed system through warm up/cooling cycles.

Now, if the screw is not broken:

There should be a yellow mark on the screw and hose. When tightening match those marks up. This way you don't over tighten it.

You might have to perform some warm up/cooling cycles to get the remaining air pockets worked out. Your expansion tank will "burp" out the remaining air pockets after the engine cools.

Your also supposed to have the AC on with the bleeding procedure (of course setting to "hi" on panel) and rev engine to 2,000 rpm

Last edited by abonano; 04-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.