S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!

I have a 2003 jaguar s Type. I love this car but she is a difficult lady. The trouble started with difficulty cranking sometimes. I checked the spark plugs and found oil on them. I then changed the valve gasket(did not like left side) and plugs. I changed all 4 O2 sensors and the fuel filter. Sometimes she cranks and drives for about 10 miles. After 10 miles she shuts off. No warning just shuts off completely. After a while she will crank but runs and shuts off. Here is my code list. P0300, P0301,Po302, P0303,P0304,P0305,P0306,P1313,P1314,P1646,and P1647. I need help with figuring what to check next. HELP please!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Slow down. I am guessing you have a V6. When you replaced valve cover gaskets and plugs, did you also replace the plenum gaskets and lower intake gaskets? You also are dealing with a 14 year old vehicle. The plastic vacuum lines under the hood are extremely brittle. Again assuming you have a V6, did you replace the IMT o-rings?

Let's get your vehicle running without all the misfire codes then worry about the other posted codes.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by christymc1973
The trouble started with difficulty cranking sometimes. I checked the spark plugs and found oil on them.
A few quick questions:

How long have you owned the car, and how long has this problem been occurring? Any other recent work? Just trying to get a feel for any contributing factors.

Please define "difficulty cranking". With the key held to "start", was the starter speed normal, even if the engine didn't start? To most of us, "cranking" means the action when the starter is engaged, regardless of whether the engine actually runs. Not trying to split hairs, but do want to make sure I correctly understand the symptoms. If the starter was slow or struggling, that requires specific troubleshooting off in one direction. If the starter speed was normal but the engine still didn't run on its own, that requires other troubleshooting.

"Oil on the plugs": Do you mean oil on the tip where the electrode is, meaning the oil is coming from the combustion chamber? I think you were referring to oil on the porcelain insulator, since you mentioned replacing the valve cover gaskets. Once again, not trying to bust your chops, but do want to be sure what you've got.

If oil was on the porcelain, did you thoroughly clean inside the coils with some electronic cleaner spray? If not, that oil will likely continue to cause misfires, even with new plugs. There's a chance the oil had already burned out the coils, but from my limited experience, they are fairly robust. I had oil collect in the spark plug wells on one bank of my '02 V6 and set misfire codes, but those coils are still going strong after a good cleaning.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? That's another possibility that's quick and easy to rule out with a pressure tester.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Thank you for replying! I have the V-8 engine. This is how I came to the conclusion to change the valve cover gasket. I thought it was about time to change the spark plugs. I have owned the car for four years and changing plugs had not been done yet. When my husband and I was changing the plugs we found oil all over the plugs and in the plug chamber so a friend of ours said the car needed new valve cover gaskets. I bought the kit for the car and replaced the valve cover gasket. the code for the O2 sensors came up so I replaced them. The fuel filter was changed because I thought it was time. The car had shut off while driving before we done any work to the car. We did all the work to see if I could get the car back on the road. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM

When it comes to "difficulty cranking" I mean at first I just had to try several times before the car fired up. The starter sounds normal. It cranks but it would not fire. Almost as if the fuel is not getting to where it needs to get to to fire. When it comes to the plugs, there was oil all over the plugs and in the chamber. When I changed the gasket, the plugs and chambers were cleaned. We cleaned everything with brake cleaner. I am not sure where to look next. Maybe the fuel injectors? Maybe the crank position sensor? I just don't know and my husband ( not a jag fan) is growing impatient.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Check fuel pressure. You may have a failing fuel pump.

Refer to the Workshop Manual for details, which can be obtained from various vendors on the Internet as a PDF.

http://www.jagrepair.com/jaguarxS-Type2000.htm