S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help !

Walmart was installing tires on my '03 and some how broke/stripped the hex part of the lug nut off leaving the threaded part down in the depressed part of the wheel. Now there is no way to get a hold of it to unscrew it. Now what? Burn the stud out and destroy the wheel and hub?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Don. A mechanic will likely remove the hub and press out the remainder of the stud and press in a new stud. Place the model of your car in the avatar.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like Walmart is going to be buying you some new stuff. Melting out the stud is the only way I know of to get that out. If there is enough to bite could air hammer it at an angle and try to get it to spin so you can at least start it getting loose then remove it. After this you should go to one piece lugs and never let a Walmart touch your wheels. You are about the 5th person I've either known or heard about that has had problems with them and wheels. A girl I know made it to the exit of the Walmart near me and went to turn onto the main road and her wheel decided it wanted to go straight. It ended up doing some damage to not only her car but someone elses that the wheel hit. Walmart had to fix both cars cause it was found that the lug nuts werent even finger tight they were about 1-2 threads turned and it was proven because they had did it on the other front wheel also. I love there prices on goods but I will never take my car for any type of service there.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

That stinks. Overzealous with the impact gun. They might be able to air hammer it out after heating it up, but wheel damage would be likely. Really its on them to get it out and any damage they cause they need to fix, so make sure you inspect everything closely.

My wife thinks I am a little crazy, but when I have new tires put on, I take the wheels off of the car and just take them and the tires in for mount/balance. Easy for me since I have other cars and a trailer if needed. But after having idiots scratch and damage wheels, strip lugs, or over-tighten, it's a no-brainer to me. The only shop I allow to remove and install the wheels/tires is the Jag dealer, as they know I'm an **** SOB and don't want me up their shorts.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the same problem when i was getting my summer tires put on. from what i heard you cant just replace a stud like most cars...i was told you have to replace the whole hub. I bought a 3/4 ridgid bi-metal hole saw to cut the remaining piece of metal that was preventing the wheel from coming off. it was easier then i thought & it was done with no damage to the wheel. once you saw through the base of the lugnut it should just pop off when u hit the washer. after that you should be able to take the wheel. when you got the wheel off use vice grips & sum wd-40 to take whats left of the lugnut off your stud..maybe a little heat if its being stubborn. Name:  7010_Hole_Saw.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  6.8 KB

The following users liked this post:
Hotshoe (06-13-2012)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

You could always try and find a set like shown here I've seen some online for under 50 that may get it off.
YouTube - ‪Locking Wheel Nut Remover - DYNOMEC‬‏

Here is a cheaper way that I have actually done that has worked for me in the past. These are definitly both worth a try. I've also had one so tight neither of these techniques would work and had to get the lug melted off.
YouTube - ‪Removing a stripped security wheelnut‬‏

Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Those damned impact wrenches they use in many garages should be outlawed. I now also remove my wheels and bring them in when switching tires.
The local garage guy striped the metal cover from several of my (expensive) Jaguar lugs, and I had to replace the whole set. When is the last time you saw one of these guys use a torque wrench on your wheels? 85-90 ft/pds? Ya, impact wrench set at about 200 footpounds. Last time on my son's car, we needed about a 6 ft. pipe to lever the nuts loose. Amazing that the studs didn't snap.
We are obliged to install snow tires for winter where I live so it's a changeover every 6 mo's. Buy a tq. wrench and do it yourself.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't know why they overtighten the bolts . This is main reason why I bought an impact gun to guns off the bolts lol
However, I only use it when I need to remove the bolts . When tightening I just use my arm or torque wrench . I could easily loosen 140 Nm/Torque in Chevrolet Cruze . I just slightly leaned it and the bolt was loosened . I later looked at the manual to learn how much torque was needed to securely tighten the bolts and it said 140 Nm/Torque .
In XJ manual it says 160 Nm/Torque so you can easily catch these figures by arm but either those shops are lazy to use their arm power or they're used to using everything automatically lol

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Default Thanks,thanks, thanks

To all who replied thank you. Once again, I paniced. Turns out, I went to Dobbs, a St. Louis area repair facility with multiple locations in the St Louis area. Some like them some are dubious, including me. They indicated it would take hours to get this thing off and may require burning out the stud and ruin the wheel. After the memorial Holliday I went to my local Mieneke shop. They had it resolved in less than 30 minuets (charged me for 30,($39.00) a bargain) and I was on my way. They used a tool designed to remove stripped locking lug nuts. My local Mieneke will allow me to bring in parts from the internet, etc. and install them at regular shop rates. No warrenty on the parts, obviously. You may wish to chek your local shop out. Thus far, they are on top of my Jag issues. Don

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure why you are paying for it. Seems like this should be resolved and paid for by Walmart since its there fault it happend in the first place. I would be at the dealer getting Jaguar parts and be up in Walmart's managements a$$ about them compensating you for the fix.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lugnut was broke at the base not stripped...the nut part was gone. just the flat base & washer was left on. 3 of them broke the exact same way..i should have took a few pics

Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I used a smaller 12 point socket from harbor frieght and hammered into the broken lug to get it to come out.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want a Walmart experience, so has anyone used Discount Tires? Have used them with MB's since 1980 & have always had excellent service both with regular rotation or replacing tires. This is my first Jag & it may be a different kind of animal. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Katz
07 Jaguar S-Type

Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

In my area, Discount Tire is by far the best for pricing as well as service. I've used three different Discount Tire stores (following a superb store manager around as he transferred from store to store in my area before he finally moved back home to Indianapolis last autumn) since early 2007 for various and sundry needs, and each of them has cared for our vehicles with kid gloves. Their techs are always courteous and extremely careful. Don't know if we're the exception rather than the rule, but my first option when someone other than me has to remove/install a wheel is always Discount Tire....

Just be sure to replace your lousy factory two-piece lug nuts with aftermarket solid lug nuts as soon as you can to greatly minimize any tire/wheel issues down the road. Plenty of threads here on the forum discussing the various sources and prices for them, including part numbers....

Last edited by Jon89; 06-01-2011 at 01:14 PM.
katz (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,232 Likes on 7,356 Posts

The local Discount Tire in my area has always been very good even with new people, including managers come in.
Years ago, my wife had an '03 X-Type that had the infamous lug nut problem. It had a flat and I tried to change it at home. Ended up having it towed to Discount Tire and they put a guy on it right away. They got the lug nut off....fixed the flat and off I went back home. I never replaced it since it was due to be turned in within a month (lease car)

katz (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by katz
I don't want a Walmart experience, so has anyone used Discount Tires? Have used them with MB's since 1980 & have always had excellent service both with regular rotation or replacing tires. This is my first Jag & it may be a different kind of animal. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Katz
07 Jaguar S-Type
my brother picked discount tires to service and change the tires on the duramax. its a clean store and they seem to be professional and careful, they are open to you getting your own tires from elseware i believe.

surprised mineken does such a good job. but ive actually used jiffy lube here locally with my own oil and filter and they do a good job on some of my resale cars.

I think many of these places tend to be store specific on how its run, never hurts to check a place out though.

i try to avoid walmart for anything like the plague though, target guy here lol

katz (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree, service can vary greatly with franchise stores. Good idea to try to find some feedback about your local store.

I've only ordered from Discount Tire online, as we don't have the retail stores here. Always been pleased with the service and product they have provided as far as online goes.

I make the mistake of ordering 1 tire from Wal Mart's in-store pickup program. I destroyed a month old tire and just needed 1 and needed it mounted. Wal Mart online was cheapest with free ship to store. Well, trying to get someone to find it in the store was a circus, and they will mount it for free, but if you want it balanced that is extra (WTF!). So the dude finishes up and just leaves the wheel in the garage and disappears for a half hour. I ended up just going out there to get it myself and walked out the door. Glad I took the wheel in and didn't have my car up on the rack or I'd still be there.

katz (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Jon89 for the info re Discount Tire & the lug nuts. Will follow up on suggestions for researching the forums for aftermarket lug nuts. Thanks to all for response.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 PM

All, tomorow I am going to Walmart to recoup. Now, I have a fault code P1646 which I understand is the upstream 02 sensor on bank 1, US passengers side. You reccall I had a P 1647 upstream on , bank 2, US drivers side last month. I assume both 02 sensors on down stream are next. Good god. Don

Old 06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

No reason for them to fail one after another. Either it's chance or there's another fault that makes it report as O2 fault.