S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help making a s-type fast..real fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help making a s-type fast..real fast

i have a 2000 s type with the sport package, aaaand a bad engine. im at the point where i have the option to rebuild the engine or to buy a new/used one and swap it, by "i" i mean ill be paying a shop to do it, i dont have near the knowledge or experiance to do it my self. but i try to find performance parts for the car on line and cant find anything, i also cant find any info about swapping for a bigger horse power motor, it has the 4.0 v8 in it right now. i love jaguars and i just want a bad *** v8 euro racer.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Junk the car you have and buy a STR. They sell for pennies on the dollar and the entire car is properly engineered. It takes more than mere HP. The entire car must be capable. Suspension, transmission, brakes and the integration of all these systems together. Jaguar did a pretty good but not perfect job with the STR.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Str

10-4 to clubairth. Sell the 2000 4.0, pick up the 400 hp s/c STR. Here you'll be able to pump her up to approx. 475 hp @ 500 lb/ft trq., est. 4.6 sec. 0-60, est. 12.6 in the 1340 ft., done with: K&N a/f, modded air intake tube, low temp thermo, ported blower w/3 lb. pulley, "Chiller Killer" intercooler kit, hi-flow cats, and x-pipe. In this trim the STR is capable of dominating stock SS Camaros, Dodge R/T's, 2003-2008 BMW M's, etc. A twin screw blower and affordable ECU tune may be on the horizon, making the STR capable of 600+ hp. Come...come join us.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but the guys are right.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I don't recall hearing about any engine mods for the 4.0 in the S type or the 3.9L engine as fitted to the Lincoln LS.

Anybody?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

wildcardfox was doing turbo kits for the lincoln. We never found out if he could tune the jag though.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Besides, move up to a 2003+ car. The older ones are junk compared to the newer ones. Night and day difference in how they drive

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

I don't really have the option to scrap it and get a new one, so assuming I just rebuild the engine, what simple bolt on options do I have? Like a cold air intake, intake manifold, headers, mufflers, do you guys know of any where I can get these parts for this engine? I guess I may have gotten a little over excited on my expectations of horse power

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM

How do you get around engine faults after installing a cold-air intake and other performance parts? I was going to try a K+N Filter but after (hopefully) clearing up the "Engine/DSC not available/Parkbrake" condtion, I'm just happy to have it running right again and wouldn't want to mess it up. Do you reprogram the ECU?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

If performance is what you seek, purchasing a later model S-Type R is the best option after you get your current vehicle running correctly so it can be sold.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferman
How do you get around engine faults after installing a cold-air intake and other performance parts? I was going to try a K+N Filter but after (hopefully) clearing up the "Engine/DSC not available/Parkbrake" condtion, I'm just happy to have it running right again and wouldn't want to mess it up. Do you reprogram the ECU?
A simple "cold air" intake does not require a reprogram. They do not add the horsepower that people want to believe. You need to change many other things. Now, they do help, in my opinion. Where they help from my experience is in throttle response. Hit the throttle and the car asks for more fuel and air. The quicker it gets it, the quicker it responds. A word of warning, though. If you set up something with an oiled filter be real sure you know what you are doing. Over oiling can create a residue in the intake path and wreak havoc on the Jaguar's ultra sensitive throttle body. Do a search on AEM's dry filter.... Got one and love it.. actually have two... One is sitting in a box clean to swap out when I clean the other one... No waiting for it to completely dry out...

Originally Posted by jagtuner
I don't really have the option to scrap it and get a new one, so assuming I just rebuild the engine, what simple bolt on options do I have? Like a cold air intake, intake manifold, headers, mufflers, do you guys know of any where I can get these parts for this engine? I guess I may have gotten a little over excited on my expectations of horse power
You are in a pickle here. There really aren't many options that we know of. Now, remember, they used basically the same Jaguar V8 in the Lincoln LS. So, crawl around those forums and see if they have a source for performance parts. Again, the LS's V8 is esentally a Jaguar 4.0. The Lincoln didn't get the 4.2 upgrade in 2003 like the Jaguar. Another interesting idea would be to find the engine out of an earlier XJR. They had a supercharged 4.0V8. Probably very costly and might be a hassle to get the electronics right, but they should be compatible and much easier to make work then say dropping in a Chevy LS1 V8. A user here started to do it, then dropped off... Probably has a money pit unfinished project sitting at his house......

Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Fraid it's an STR for you boy....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Nitrous....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Here ya' go jagtuner:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...ke-bite-69738/

Anyone know why he's selling?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

He was on here a lot with his supercharger mod and the various other repairs when I first joined and then he went silent AFAIK.

He was in a bit of a disagreement with the supercharger tuner right?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ya, I dont think Steig is advertising their port work for Jags now because of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
A simple "cold air" intake does not require a reprogram. They do not add the horsepower that people want to believe. You need to change many other things. Now, they do help, in my opinion. Where they help from my experience is in throttle response. Hit the throttle and the car asks for more fuel and air. The quicker it gets it, the quicker it responds.
The effectiveness of a cold air intake would be contingent upon it overcoming any shortcomings of the stock OEM unit. In the case of the S-type, from what I've read Jaguar left about 1 HP on the table up for grabs, making it an extremely well designed unit. Any aftermarket unit might just make things worse not better. Minor changes in length, diameter or configuration of the hardware will have virtually no effect on engine responsiveness.

The difficulty the OP has is that this engine is not like a 1960's Chev base HP small block that has all sorts of room for improvement and plenty of hardware to choose from. IOW- the engine has already been 'factory hot rodded'. Getting 281 HP from a reliable 244 cu. in. V8 is far beyond whatever could be achieved with anything from the hot rod industry.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferman
Almost no reprogram at all, if any, is available and cost is way too much. Cheaper to sell and get an STR. If you already have an STR, maybe nitrous first. Maybe.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM

how much is the rebuild of the engine going to run? Even when I was buying my car about 2 years ago, I saw type r's dipping down to 10k. They've got to be even cheaper now...

You can easily buy a good condition, low mileage s type 4.0 or 4.2 for less than 10k around here. Time to evaluate what you have and figure out if it's even worth fixing versus parting out or junking.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Everyones right. For the money youre gonna spend to even get another engine and the labor to swap. Youll spend more than the car is really worth. My gf just bought a 2000 stype with 57k ive worked on since new for $2250 and its still like new always garaged.
Now that being said im prime person around here to always put more into a vehicles than what its worth because i do som many mods and customizations to my liking. 79 el camino race car with a 1250hp nitrous injected 580cid bb chevy. 87 suburban with a 700hp nitrous injected 383. Lowered and is very fast for a 5500# yellow school bus
2005 custom 400hp supercharged 4.0v6 nissan frontier 4x4. With every single part of it taken out and build from diffs, to suspension, trans, engine and custom blower install tuning. Pistons, cams, port work, rods etc... Also very fast for a v6 4x4 5500 lifted truck with 4.56 gears. all the aboves Ive totally modded every thing from suspension to engines, trans and diffs. interiors and exteriors.
96 jag which is about the slowest and stockest of all my vehicles (i have all the above still) and ive only done exhuast work, suspension, xkr tires and wheels, custom hid projectors from a stype into factory glass headlight housings, and new stereo system and speakers to replace the stock crap that went south. So last to say you cant or shouldnt do it. But if i was paying someone else to do the work, the cost goes up exponentially. I would go back stock and sell and get a str. Youll be glad you did and money ahead. Another reason to not do a bunch of stuff is because youll never ever see the money back on it you spent and others many times a re concerned of the quality of work performed and then who is able to work in it as a result. So it kills resale. If i ever wanted money from my nissan i would return as much to stock as possible, including pulling the engine and diffs and all suspension etc and selling those pieces individually and return all back to stock. Not only would i easily sell the truck, but would make alot more money back on all the parts to sell off....goodluck whatever your descision

Quick Reply: help making a s-type fast..real fast