S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hesitation under throttle? ('03 STR)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hesitation under throttle? ('03 STR)

A few days ago, I was awaiting the AAA tow guys while my car was stuck in what seemed like 341273489127 inches of slushy snow. While parked (with transmission in P), one of my friends asked me to stab the ish out of the gas pedal so he could hear the exhaust.

When I jabbed the pedal, I got instant response...until somewhere in the 3000rpm range, when the engine would do something I can only describe as hesitation...where the throttle cuts off. It felt identical to what happens at the track when I attempt to powerbrake, except the transmission was not engaged.

Is this normal? Running 93 octane fuel, and there are no codes that I am aware of (I assume there would be an indicator light). When the car is actually moving, acceleration throughout the RPM range is smooth and strong.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do remember when i was in a non-R s type loaner it would only rev in neutral to 3k. I also have an 03' and My R will run up to redline, Im sure one of the techs on here can tell you why some of these cars are programed like that.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

No, I was revving mine the other night and there was no hesitation above 3k. Could be not enough fuel, or maybe coil issues. Those are the first 2 things that come to mind.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
No, I was revving mine the other night and there was no hesitation above 3k. Could be not enough fuel, or maybe coil issues. Those are the first 2 things that come to mind.
Man I actually realllyyyy hope it is a coil issue, because that would also explain the slow 1/4 mile times I complained about here when I bought the car (high 13s, with an occasional 14.1). However, wouldn't any coil issues (and fuel issues) also reveal themselves under full throttle?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM

My 2005 STR won't go above 3,500-4,000 rpm in park. I think its a "safety" feature to keep it from over revving.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ok, maybe I was wrong. Let me go check...

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

.....My o3' REvs above 4k, but I never tried redling it while it in Park, nor do I attend to , I'm guessing a coil problem for you.

Good Luck, keep us informed on the status.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
A few days ago, I was awaiting the AAA tow guys while my car was stuck in what seemed like 341273489127 inches of slushy snow. While parked (with transmission in P), one of my friends asked me to stab the ish out of the gas pedal so he could hear the exhaust.

When I jabbed the pedal, I got instant response...until somewhere in the 3000rpm range, when the engine would do something I can only describe as hesitation...where the throttle cuts off. It felt identical to what happens at the track when I attempt to powerbrake, except the transmission was not engaged.

Is this normal? Running 93 octane fuel, and there are no codes that I am aware of (I assume there would be an indicator light). When the car is actually moving, acceleration throughout the RPM range is smooth and strong.
Bring it up this weekend I'll scan it for you... Does it do it on the street or just that one time?

You won't throw a check engine light if the fuel pumps are weak, BUT there is enough fuel trim in the software to not let it lean out.

Coil issues are more evident, as you'll get misfires. Coils don't really "sort of work"

What year STR and how many miles?

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Bring it up this weekend I'll scan it for you... Does it do it on the street or just that one time?

You won't throw a check engine light if the fuel pumps are weak, BUT there is enough fuel trim in the software to not let it lean out.

Coil issues are more evident, as you'll get misfires. Coils don't really "sort of work"

What year STR and how many miles?

Take care,

George
It's an '03 (noted in the subject line), mileage is just under 21,000. I wish I was free this weekend, but military training calls. Booooo National Guard...

On the street the car is fine, no hesitation or other identifiable issues. Very strong acceleration all the way to redline. I've never had a car like this one, in terms of weird quirks (inability to powerbrake, inability to hit redline from 1 to 2, etc). This hesitation thing might be normal for this car; I just don't know enough about the STR to be sure.

Next time I am out of my neighborhood (too 'quiet' to rev the ish out of my car), I'm gonna try it in neutral and see what happens.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

21k? Wth?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

It's an '03 (noted in the subject line), mileage is just under 21,000. I wish I was free this weekend, but military training calls. Booooo National Guard...

On the street the car is fine, no hesitation or other identifiable issues. Very strong acceleration all the way to redline. I've never had a car like this one, in terms of weird quirks (inability to powerbrake, inability to hit redline from 1 to 2, etc). This hesitation thing might be normal for this car; I just don't know enough about the STR to be sure.

Next time I am out of my neighborhood (too 'quiet' to rev the ish out of my car), I'm gonna try it in neutral and see what happens.
...Umm...like I said before I too have an 03' and its not normal if you can't rev above 4k, like I can. Something is definitely wrong , did you get a chance to hook up a Scanner to it? Just take a run down to Autozone if not when you are free.
Good Luck.

Last edited by jag79; 02-10-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
21k? Wth?
It had 16xxx last August when I bought it...I was amazed that the previous owner could keep himself from driving the ish out of it.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by jag79
did you get a chance to hook up a Scanner to it?
Not yet, I'm going to do it tomorrow for sure. Is it normal to pick up codes without any sort of visual dash indicator?

Last edited by Phil_Deeznuutz; 02-10-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: HTML fail
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 AM

It had 16xxx last August when I bought it...I was amazed that the previous owner could keep himself from driving the ish out of it.
That's amazing! What did you pay for her?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM

I think it was exactly $17k

Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 AM

I think it was exactly $17k
Wow sweet!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Supposedly some calibrations limit the revs in P & N. No-one seems to report their calibration so we'll never know if this is actually the reason

George - if he comes over please note the CALIDs for PCM & TCM with the VIN.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Supposedly some calibrations limit the revs in P & N. No-one seems to report their calibration so we'll never know if this is actually the reason

George - if he comes over please note the CALIDs for PCM & TCM with the VIN.
Will do. If scanmaster-elm can read them. I'll try it on my car this weekend.

I dont think there is a problem. I think there's a rev limiter in park / neutral. Most cars have it.

Any problem would have manifested itself on the street too..

Take care,

George

Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Went to Autozone about an hour ago, scanner reveals P1000...so apparently I need to wait until the monitor cycle is complete? Scanner also showed 'pending', in a black box. I am unsure if this is referring to the monitor cycle being incomplete (after which, once complete and without any other codes, it will disappear), or if there is another code which will not show until the cycle is done. Anybody?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Went to Autozone about an hour ago, scanner reveals P1000...so apparently I need to wait until the monitor cycle is complete? Scanner also showed 'pending', in a black box. I am unsure if this is referring to the monitor cycle being incomplete (after which, once complete and without any other codes, it will disappear), or if there is another code which will not show until the cycle is done. Anybody?
P1000 is not a pending code.

Jaguars always have a P1000 (for drive cycle incomplete) or P1100 for drive cycle completed.

You have a pending code. What that means is there's a fault that triggered a code, but either not enough time has passed (basically the car is waiting to see if the fault goes away), OR it was a momentary code (the car has to detect certain codes multiple times before it turns on the MIL). Did you read the pending code?

I can read it if it's still there.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: hesitation under throttle? ('03 STR)