S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints, tips, and tricks...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seatbelt minder

Before anyone blasts me, YES it's best you wear your seatbelt, but....

On long trips etc, there are times you may need/want to unbuckle your belt or perhaps the passenger needs to get something from the back. The seat belt minder in the Jag is very irritating. The manual states the seatbelt minder can be disabled by the dealer; I can only speculate what they would charge. Anyway, I found the instructions here on Jag Forum and thought a tips and trips sticky was a great place to add them.

Pulled from another post:

Note, this does not silence the initial chimes after you start the engine without a fastened seat belt. This remains as a useful reminder but prevents the stupid chiming later, such as when you are driving into the long private driveway to park your Jaguar in the garage of your country estate

1. Ensure the front passenger seat is unoccupied.

NOTE: the next steps (2 to 5) must be completed within 60 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the RUN position (do not start the engine).

3. Engage the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp extinguishes.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp illuminates.

5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 a further eight times.

6. When the driver safety belt buckle is unbuckled for the ninth time a single chime will be heard. The single chime is confirmation that the Beltminder feature has been disabled.

The Beltminder feature will remain disabled even after leaving the car until the above process (Steps 1 to 6) is repeated.

If you repeat the process the Beltminder feature will be reactivated.

The following 5 users liked this post by wigginout66:
dauraf (06-20-2019), Ispizua (02-13-2015), jeffn (04-23-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-14-2014), lwhitney79 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
@ GoKittyGo, I'm not sure but I doubt you would be only able to roll windows down, but not back up based on year. Push botton a bit longer or harder perhaps? lol no clue.

But I added the cup holder thing. That's a good one too. I forgot about it even though I use it often.
I can't seem to close the windows and sunroof either, and I can't figure out the cup holder trick. Is it possible on a 2001 s type

Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great list. I thought I knew all the tricks for my car, but low and behold... I learned a couple of new tricks. Thanks ShultzLD and JagV8. JagV8 helped me on my transmission issue and all I can saw is Awesome Awesome.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea this post. Got a few things I didn't know yet - but I'll keep looking!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Default Thx for tips and hints

Reading for the first time. Great stuff. Thanks to all who contributed.
Sincerely
Redding

Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread - interesting one about the seatbelt chimes. My S-Type doesn't make a sound when a seat belt is undone, no warning lights either. Thank heavens I say but it did make me wonder whether a previous owner had had the chimes turned off by the dealer or they are nonfunctioning. Next time I'm at the dealers (oh the joy of walking into a jag showroom) I'll get him to check. I won't have them turned back on, I like a car that treats you like you know what you're doing..
The mentions of resetting some electronics was interesting. I didn't quite understand what and why but I'll reread and try and get it.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Mines the same Barbara and I'm happy to keep it that way.

The reset is like rebooting your computer it clears a lot of niggles and resets any modules that may be misbehaving. (Sometimes)

The following users liked this post:
Barbara Kay (08-19-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by cue244
Okay on mine the unlock button thing works, but the closing of all windows doesn't (guess I have to get the dealer to activate that one). I can't get my cupholder out?? I am pulling on it and it doesn't come out?
I have a 2000 s type and there is nothing under any cup holder, just ducts and electrics.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Default Handover video

I'm certainly preaching to the converted, and you've all probably seen this but I found this video on the intertube and it talks about some interesting bits and pieces.

barb

Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Default Hickster '06 S Type

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
Hummm, I wonder if it's <04 or if just the 05? Anyone with a >06 wanna give it a try?
I have tried the global on my '06 S Type and it works!!! Open and closing!!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Diagnostic menu

If you hold the phone and menu button you get a screen that pops up and asks you to enter a pin. Instead of entering 971 as previously posted, enter 1971 It will let you get into more menus, you can see the live speed, gyro, and bearing of the car as your driving.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Electric Fan Check

Two of the most important tools to have around: needle nose pliers and a can of DeOxit D5 (or other electronic contact cleaner).

Fan was not working regardless of temperature. High failure item on Ford Crown Victorias and is $350 just for the part. Add "Jaguar" to the search, and double the part cost. First to check was the fuse. This one probably had never been removed. Contacts were black, full of carbon. Sprayed with the contact cleaner, and "roughed up" the blades a bit with the needle nose pliers. Fan kicked on immediately. Did NOT need a new fan assembly.

Moral of the story: clean all connectors and pins, fuse contact and the like, when chasing an electric or electronic ghost. It may be something that simple.

Last edited by Warspite; 01-30-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-31-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key FOBs

So found out something yesterday that I haven't see here before - had a non working remote and had bought a replacement. When I went to have the new key cut and programmed, was asked if I wanted them to reprogram the nonworking unit since they "lose their programming" if not used within about a year. So bottom line if you have one you don't use, use it. and if you have one that you don't use that doesn't work, try reprogramming before buying a replacement. So now I have 3 working, which isn't a bad thing........

Service tech said he thought Jag programmed the remotes to clear memory for theft and security reasons..........but pretty sure that was a speculative comment.

Hope this is helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by dccherry1:
Cableman (04-05-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-04-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Default Check battery for electronic gremlins

When checking the battery what are the signs were looking for? Just corrosion around the terminal or checkIng and see if the voltage is right?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dadh Kit

For the S type from year 2000-2002, there is no dash kit for aftermarket stereo receivers.
So make a wooden one, make a lil shelf big enough to fit ur single din receiver and have it upholstered.... i made mine with less than $25 bucks

JeyZ (02-26-2019)
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink re global opening and closing.

Hullo Gang Jim from Oz here, great little section on tips and tricks, thanks to every one for their posts.
May I add a word of warning, after replacing two front window regulators/winders the mechanic said the main reason for failure was closing the door with the windows down. The regulators are made to move the glass up and down and due to the type of plastic used in the brackets they cannot cope with the lateral force of a door slam! the window frame does that when the window is is up. See you on the road...
Jim

Last edited by the beagle; 05-17-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 AM
Default global close and open of power window

My Jag Stype 2005 2.5 V6 does both ways on the power window using the lock and unlock button on the key fob.

SilverJagStype05

Originally Posted by GoKittyGo
I use the "window down" all the time, but have yet managed to get it to go back up with the lock button. Is it only available on certain years/models?

My favorite hint is that the cupholder comes out, you can fit bigger drinks in that way. Also makes it easier to wash if your drink springs a leak.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Struggled to find a good link on how to remove the rearview mirror on a 99-2002.5 model S-type. There are good links for >2.25 on youtube. Here's one I found over on RoadFly

The Complete Guide Removing and Replacing Your Int
The self-dimming interior rear-view mirror on my 2000 S-type at first stopped dimming, and then, several months later, dripped out ink, leaving the mirror with several ugly blotches. The one in my car is not only self-dimming, but is also rain-sensing and a built-in compass. The list price at a dealer is $382 for a replacement.

So, I decided to buy one from a junk yard. Surprisingly, I found several at nearby junk yards. The tricky part is figuring out whether the self-dimming mirror on the car that they have is exactly the same as the one you need. The only way to know for sure, I learned, is by asking for the last six digits of the VIN of the car that the junk yard has. Then, with that information, you can call a dealer parts department, and he can tell you what type of mirror that car came with. I found one for $75. There were also listings on Ebay that were similarly priced.

As an alternative to buying a used mirror, you may be able to get yours repaired by Sybesma’s Electronics, in Michigan (phone: 616-392-6911 or 800-456-4265). This is the company that the manufacturer of the self-dimming mirror, Donnelly (Magna Mirrors), Holland, Michigan (phone 616-786-7300) refers their customers to for repairs. If they are able to repair yours, the cost is $75 plus shipping both ways. They won't tell you on the phone whether they can repair a mirror from a certain make and model of car. Instead, they require a photo of the base of your mirror and further information about your mirror to determine if a repair is possible.

My next problem was removing my existing mirror. Mine has a large black triangular sort of plastic cover at the base where it attaches to the windshield. This is the same for 2000 through and including 2002 models. 2003 and later models have a smaller cover, so the attachment mechanism may be different. Since the mirror attachment point is hidden by the plastic cover, it's not easy to figure out how the mirror is attached.

Well, it turns out that hidden under the black plastic cover is a metal part that has two spring clips. This part fits over a square metal "button" that stays on the windshield. To remove the mirror, I just grabbed the edges of the plastic cover where it meets the windshield, and wedged two of my left fingers and two of my right fingers under the plastic edges. I did this while seated in the passenger seat. I kept pulling and pulling and finally, after a great deal of force, the mirror just popped off. It takes a great deal of force to get the mirror off. So much so, that I cut one of my fingers from the edge of the plastic digging into my finger (even though the plastic isn't sharp). Next, I disconnected the electrical connector by pinching the small release tab.

It's best to remove the mirror from the junk yard car yourself, so you can practice on their car, with no risk of damaging your own car.

Installing the replacement mirror also took a great deal of force. To make it easier, I lubricated the "button" on the windshield and the opposing side on the mirror base with white lithium grease. Next, I reconnected the electrical plug. There is a small slot at the top of the black cover through which I routed the wire. I positioned the mirror onto the button and then pressed with all my might (again, sitting in the passenger seat). When that didn't work, with the mirror in the correct spot, I held it in place with my left land and gave the plastic cover a very solid pounding with the my right hand, and that did locked it in place.

When I turned on the car, the mirror dimmed properly, and the compass lit up, but it always showed only South or Southeast, regardless of the direction I was facing. So, next, I had to recalibrate the compass. The mirror cover on the windshield has 2 small holes. I put a paperclip in the right hand hole to set the zone. I pushed the paper clip in the hole and held it down until the readout on the mirror displayed "zone." You can find your zone on the zone map in link below, or perhaps call a local Jaguar dealer or Donnelly and ask them.

Compass Zone Map

After setting the zone I pressed the button in the left hand hole with a paper clip until "cal" was displayed. I then drove in slow small circles until the "cal" display disappeared. I drove in a right-hand circle and it took nearly 4 full circles, and now my compass works correctly.

Last edited by ssshield; 10-23-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Understanding Fuel Trims

These helped me lots.

Part One--Fuel Trim Primer Rev2.pdf (813.7 KB, 9 views) Part Two--Using Fuel Trims.pdf (1.02 MB, 5 views)

The following 2 users liked this post by ZenFly:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2015), tomfurie (03-07-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Very well written and documented with appropriate visuals. I'd love to see real world examples using the Torque phone app. I'm going to have to print this out and read it a few more times so I can get a better grasp of how to interpret my fuel trims. I can see how useful this will be.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hints, tips, and tricks...