Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints, tips, and tricks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
On post #9 in that link you sent Steve referred to a "kickdown switch" that activates sport mode. From what you posted, and from what Steve has posted on that other thread I get this...

In D/Normal mode if you push the throttle down far enough to press the APP sensor (kickdown switch) the TCM adapts to the sport mode shift logic while that button is pressed.

Am I interpreting this correct? I hope so, because that is very kewl that Jaguar thought of that and installed a (oh-****/Go go go!!!) button. lol
Steve only mentions it for the 4.0 on a different jag (note the forum his posts are in). The S-Type doesn't have such a switch, just the software that more-or-less mimics one.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Ah, yea you’re right. So what is the button under the throttle for then? It is hard to push, and only gets pushed under hard WOT. You really have to mash ur foot down, but when you do there is a very noticeable difference. Or is that just the result of what you were talking about... the APP. Even so, I'm still really curious as to what exactly that button dose. It really seems to fit both what you and Steve mention.

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
NO YOU CAN'T. We're talking about the ZF and that DOES NOT RESET that way.

I keep saying this. I keep saying this. I keep........

You can clear the PCM's learned behaviours, mostly nothing to do with shifts etc, but no need to touch terminals. Don't touch them too soon after disconnection unless you want to risk a disastrous electrical spike.
....Ohhh my bad I thought you were talking about the PCM's to be reset, but yeah the trans shift points can't be reset nor changed Many on here with the exhaust mods including me have touched cables(Neg to Pos) without any problems(knock on wood) after exhaust mod changes. Makes a difference for sure once its reset

Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 AM

The only thing touching the terminals does is speed up the dissipation of the stored charge. But doing so too soon, like JagV8 said CAN cause problems. Just let it sit for a few min disconnected. That way you'll be sure not to run into any problems. I had one buddy tell me that you have to let it sit over night, but that don’t make since to me… I’ve at the most let it sit for a hr once or twice when I was on a beer run…

BTW on every vehicle I've owned '96 or newer (OBDII) regardless if it had adaptive stuff like the Jag does. I've done a hard re-set at LEAST twice a year. Winter and Summer. I've read/heard somewhere through the years that this will help the ECU optimize and re-learn the air density running through the MAF. Efficacy, MPG, A/F, Power, Smoothness.

Don't know if it's a "Mechanics tail" or not.

jag79 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

My 05 seems to be specially equipped with a mood elevator. I've found that anytime a crappy day is being had, a drive in the Jag seems to clear it away.

With the window global up--can that still be dealer activated in a 6yo car?

The following 2 users liked this post by GoKittyGo:
joycesjag (10-02-2011), Silver Flyer (10-26-2015)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by GoKittyGo
My 05 seems to be specially equipped with a mood elevator. I've found that anytime a crappy day is being had, a drive in the Jag seems to clear it away.

I like the mood elevator option as well. I'm sure that came standard.

But to answer you question. Yes it can.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 10-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
buckweedz (09-23-2012)
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Ah, yea you’re right. So what is the button under the throttle for then? It is hard to push, and only gets pushed under hard WOT. You really have to mash ur foot down, but when you do there is a very noticeable difference. Or is that just the result of what you were talking about... the APP. Even so, I'm still really curious as to what exactly that button dose. It really seems to fit both what you and Steve mention.
If there's a button, it's likely (*) to be like my last car: just mechanical to give you feedback so you know you've requested WOT. Not wired to anything.

(*) I've not gone grubbing under the pedal to check what's there - it's kinda tight in there and access is dire when you have a bad back!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What an awesome list!
Before I go and try this one out.......what does it do? I just do not want to mess up my car!

I have a 2006 stype 3.0 sport.
Thanks and have a great day!

- Navigation systems, to enter the diagnostic menu you press and hold the Phone and Menu buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds. Then enter PIN 917.

Attached Thumbnails Hints, tips, and tricks...-car-summer-2010.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey, I am stickying this thread so that anyone with S Type can reach this thread easily

Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

1 - put copper grease between the alloy wheel and hub to stop the wheel binding to the hub making changing a tyre that much harder.

2 - if you get any electrical gremlins, before you do anything else, check the battery is working properly, or else the engine's management system gets what it thinks are fault messages.

3 - if the remove fob stops working, open it up and check that the small piece of metal that acts as a contact for the battery is still in place. It can slip just enough that whilst the battery still has a charge, it no longer supplies it to the fob, hence it no longer works.

Silver Flyer (10-26-2015)
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Global closing function is working in my car including the sunroof.

But if I remember well, and I can only speak with knowledge of the European regulation: this global close function with the remote control was not allowed after 2004 for new registrations.

I think it is a nice function and use it only to close the sunroof, as I normally forgot to close before getting out f the car.

Thanks SchultzLD for this list, I will try the cup holder to remove.

b.t.w. this code for the hidden menu in the Sat Nav is 1971 on my car.

Ciao William

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKittyGo
Anything that was dealer-configurable when your car was new should be available from the dealer or an independent who has WDS/IDS. You may initially find some resistance depending on the Tech's training/knowledge/experience with the software and its interaction with your model year, but just keep asking...

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
GoKittyGo (10-04-2011), Silver Flyer (10-26-2015)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,481 Likes on 7,450 Posts

With winter and cooler weather coming upon us, it's time to recheck tire pressures.
I understand (I'm not an expert on this) that for every 10* F change, the tire pressure will change 1#.
If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Now, I don't know what that translates to in British measurements...could be a litre per fortnight for all I know... but worth getting the tire/tyre guages out and keeping the tires/tyres happy.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Thx for all the input. The list grows!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Here are two pictures of the alleged "WOT" switch I'm talking about. You can see that on the back side of the throttle arm is a paddle that pushes the button in a true FULL WOT. The button itself is kind of hard to push. One of the pictures you can read the numbers for the pedal position sensor, the WOT switch IS attached to that sensor.

Can someone please look this up and explain WHAT that switch does and if it is truly a WOT switch or if is just a mechanical (you are floored to the max) physical reminder? Please read the past few post in this thread to get caught up if you are just now tuning in. lol

Thanks all.

EDIT: I looked up the number and it comes back as just a 04 JAG S TYPE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. No detailed info that I can find.

Attached Thumbnails Hints, tips, and tricks...-wot1.jpg   Hints, tips, and tricks...-wot2.jpg  

Last edited by SchultzLD; 10-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize for months that there is also a trunk button just above the license plate. It faces down and is basically hidden. Great thread!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A big 'Thank You' for starting this page.
Those little shortcuts are handy to have.
Does anyone know if there are service access features so that the diagnostic codes can be displayed. I build commercial HMI applications and I generally have several levels of access to provide convenient access to features / data that you would not ordinarily display. Not necessarily because you want to prevent access but not to over-complicate the controls. Sometimes it can be configured as an expert or normal display...

Old 10-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Now that's funny. I wonder if the tech even knew it go down further? lol But anyways, thx for the input. Now we know 04-05 3.0's have it. I'm still waiting for a STR input as well as a more "technical" term for that WOT, temp-normal mode disengagement, temp-sport mode engagement, kick down button thing. lol
I have the STR and with the S mode it seems a lot snappier. I'm reluctant to test the kick down mode - I can be doing over a 100 in not too many seconds and run out of road and nerve in a heartbeat!

I guess I need to find an open road without any, er hem, 'obstacles'!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM

The list grows again! This forum makes me feel smart... or (Speek out loud as you read the letters) S M R T... lol

Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Yes, would love to know all the extra access codes to see, for example, diagnostic info.

Quick Reply: Hints, tips, and tricks...