S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if my engine is running HOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
From my discussions with two jag techs, the 4.2 will not let you hurt it. It basically goes into restricted performance / limp mode, and then shuts off. The 4.0 may have, actually it probably will.

Take care,

George
Two years ago the hose connection separated from the coolant bottle, draining all the coolant on my 2003 S-type 4.2 with my wife driving it. Since the coolant was drained there was no overheat warning. Since we had had a very slow coolant leak waiting to be repaired, she ignored the low coolant warning. Engine ran a few miles with no coolant and stopped. From that point on it could never build compression again and it needed major head repair. I ended up replacing the engine with a salvage unit.

If there is supposed to be a failsafe, it certainly did not work for me. Perhaps it is based on coolant temperature, therefore failed to work since there was no coolant.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-08-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Two years ago the hose connection separated from the coolant bottle, draining all the coolant on my 2003 S-type 4.2 with my wife driving it. Since the coolant was drained there was no overheat warning. Since we had had a very slow coolant leak waiting to be repaired, she ignored this warning. Engine ran a few miles with no coolant and stopped. From that point on it could never build compression again and it needed major head repair. I ended up replacing the engine with a salvage unit.

If there is supposed to be a failsafe, it certainly did not work for me.
That may have been the culprit. Couldn't get a coolant temp reading (at least one off the charts) - did it even show that it got hot?

Wow that's a shame...

I assume the check coolant level was already engaged bc of your slow leak - on an S-Type it takes no more than a pint or two of missing coolant to get to low coolant warnings.

If the car had no clue it was getting hot i'm sure it cooked the head and dropped the valve seats, maybe even warped the head.

On a car that knows what the coolant temp is, the computer will shut down the party before it gets to that point. Mine did and I thought I had hurt the motor while inspecting the car. Let it cool off for an hour fire it back up, no white smoke, no milky oil no drama, just got hot again quick. (bc thermostat never opened).

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
That may have been the culprit. Couldn't get a coolant temp reading (at least one off the charts) - did it even show that it got hot?

Wow that's a shame...

I assume the check coolant level was already engaged bc of your slow leak - on an S-Type it takes no more than a pint or two of missing coolant to get to low coolant warnings.

If the car had no clue it was getting hot i'm sure it cooked the head and dropped the valve seats, maybe even warped the head.

On a car that knows what the coolant temp is, the computer will shut down the party before it gets to that point. Mine did and I thought I had hurt the motor while inspecting the car. Let it cool off for an hour fire it back up, no white smoke, no milky oil no drama, just got hot again quick. (bc thermostat never opened).

Take care,

George
Yup, that is why I always advise not to let a slow leak lull you into complacency. You never know when slightly low coolant might one day mean empty!