S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Stop Water Leaking in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How Do I Stop Water Leaking in Trunk

I have the classic water in the trunk problem on my 3.0 2K S-Type. I have read posts of people putting holes in the floorboard of the trunk which is fine but it doesn't solve the problem. I want to stop water from getting in the trunk.

Just after the last rain, I remove the rubber seal to determine the path the water is taking to get into the trunk. The problem is that I didn't see an obvious way for water to enter in the trunk. There doesn't seem to be any holes in the metal lip (that the rubber seal attaches to) that is along the periphery of the trunk opening. My initial plan was to apply silicone sealant at the base of the seal (on both sides of the metal lip) but based on my observations, I don't see how that will help (since I cannot image the water is traveling up the metal lip and then over it while the rubber seal is attached to it.

I did notice that there is some minor rust at the top the metal lip near where the door latches to the body. I have attached a picture of this (with the rubber seal removed). In addition, I noticed some water on the inside of the metal lip in this same location. Again, I have no ideal how water can get pass the metal lip and the rubber seal since I didn't see any holes in the metal lip.

So has anybody fixed this leak problem? Please help!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3449/ADEBB36DB47F41CEBF6D384E07162128.jpg[/IMG]

The following users liked this post:
piero dagostino (11-21-2014)
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Do I Stop Water Leaking in Trunk

I have the same issue in my 03' STR during hard or long rains when it sits outside and I've had plenty of people and shopslook at it and they can't figure it out either, unfortunately I have had to result to unscrewing the bolt that holds down the spare to create a hole for water to drain out of, the spare sits pretty tight so I have not had issues of it sliding around while driving....

Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lift the rubber seal near the tail lights where you see the body seam. Apply a wee bit silicon sealant an inch or so above and below the seam on the outside of the ridge the seal sits on then push the rubber seal back on. You only need a small amount of sealant!

The following 2 users liked this post by 12RM:
el tigre (06-29-2020), Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 AM

I think 12RM is heading in the right direction. I am trying to remember the exact situation but I believe the issue is the weatherstrip seam lining up with a sheet metal seam. I have heard the fix is to remove the weather strip and reinstall it so that the seams are not on top of each other. I'll look through my files.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks guys!

With the last rain storm, I had about 1 cup of water at the bottom of the trunk. Can that much water go through the body seam? Seems like its too small to pass that much water IMHO.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:57 PM

I know Im right!
It is not going through theseam, it's over the lipat the seam where it joins.Some water hides under the battery and when the car is used it comes out and goes to where you can see it (mine only leaked on the right hand side).
Put the sealant an inch above/belowthe seam on the outside of the lip and refit the rubber.
You'll be surprised how much water can gather over a relatively short time.

Ive posted this elsewhere and it works.

Edited due to extra ' being added in when posted! Removed them!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Another question: What about the body seam behind the tail light? Could that be a leak path as well. I was thinking about removing the tail light assembly and sealing as much of the body seam that is visible.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:32 AM

That is a possibility but I did mine one step at a time. To be honest my car did not leak until after I was chatting to someone that came to see me, the boot was open and they leant on thecar and fiddled with the seal by the light.I thought nothing of it till much later and afterI noticed and sorted the problem. Maybe coincidence. I also suspected that seam you mentionfrom memorybut I discounted thatwhen I had the cluster out.
I noticed the leak in the winter time and it caused at bit of light condensation inside the car on the metal around the area by the rear light but if you looked closely there were small tracks where drops had run down and that was just below the seam area. I removed all the trim to inspect the area.
I took the light out but it was clear that no water was getting past the seal on that once I had it out.

If the source is the same as mine it is a two minute job if you do not dig too far, go for the easy fix first. If that does not sort it you will need to look again.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 12RM

Lift the rubber seal near the tail lights where you see the body seam. Apply a wee bit silicon sealant an inch or so above and below the seam on the outside of the ridge the seal sits on then push the rubber seal back on. You only need a small amount of sealant!
I'm definitely going to try your suggestion. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out where the water was entering my trunk from. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Question for you guys, has anyone climbed into the trunk/boot with a flashlight, closed said trunk and have a buddy run a hose all around the trunk and bumper areas? Just an idea.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

That would need to be a good buddy.

We had rain a couple of weeks ago and just for fun I had a look in the boot/trunk and lo and behold the bugger was leaking, no biggie as it probably won't rain for six months but if I move the silicone will be out.

Last edited by Norri; 02-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Did the exterior design refresh in 2005 (raising the rear end just over an inch and changing the contour of how the tailight clusters fit into the sheet metal) put an end to these trunk leaks? Most of the trunk leaks I've read about seem to happen to pre-2005 S-Types and I'm hoping that this is an issue I won't have to be concerned about....

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried the DIY method to no avail. Water in my trunk caused me a lot of headaches I.e. CATS module failure, reverse parking sensor failure, and the amp for the stereo system. They are all located in the trunk. Make sure you get this fixed asap. Until then, if it rains make sure you drain the water by unplugging the drain. Anyways I had my dealer replace the trunk seal, and tighten up the trunk by adjusting the arms (or whatever they are called). Not very expensive, but I can't stress enough to get it fixed immediately or you will ruin some of the modules in the trunk which are very costly.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

On a car with a sunroof, either/both the rear roof drains could cause water to collect in the trunk.

Eric

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Be aware that the tail lights can also be the water entry point. One way to find out where it is coming from. Get in the trunk and close the lid. Make sure you have a flashlight (torch) with you. Have someone on the outside spray water over the back end of the car. Try to concentrate on the body seams and the tail lights. Let the list know if you find it!!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

tbird, beat you to it, check post #11

Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM

I had water leaking in the trunk after taking the car through the touchless car washes. The seal near the bottom part of the trunk didn't seem to seal properly since there was a large amount of water coming through that area. The dealer replaced the seal around the trunk and applied some black silicone across the tops of the tail lights. I believed they replaced one of the taillights as well due to condensation inside the light. No more leaks during the last 2 car washes.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

That's one reason why I always prefer to wash our vehicles in our driveway. I use the least amount of water possible - a quick hose squirt to the body panel, then scrubbing with my soapy cloth diaper, then quickly rinsing the area just scrubbed. Less water waste, and certainly less water directed at the seams and edges to find its way where it doesn't belong....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Frankly, we should not have to avoid touchless car washes, its not like we are driving 1982 Civics. I have NO choice in the winter but to use them. The private well water is shut off because of the potential the pipes would freeze. Like Hit1 said, bring it to the dealer, have them replace the seals throughout, and tighten the trunk down. They also use the "lock someone in the trunk with a flashlight and power wash the back of the vehicle" method. Quite humerous.

After they replaced the seals I have had no problems. I got the impression from the tech that it is not only the sealant that goes bad but the actual seals themselves. Just my .02

Quick Reply: How Do I Stop Water Leaking in Trunk