S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles you all have? Post pic of odometer here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I can agree with both sides of the use it or not argument. I have both beaters and garage keepers. I bought this for Laurie with the initial idea of her driving it daily. After seeing it first hand niether one of us likes that idea. Plus it fits in with our other Brit collector cars. I personally think that there is a point where a car gets to an age and the mileage/condition makes one feel almost guilty to trash it. Another bodyman, who unfortunately isn't with us now, used to to say..."Don't romance them, it's just a car" But with some cars I have a hard time with that. We plan to use it for trips and pleasure use on nice days. It will get some additional miles for sure but not a daily driver. I see these as future classics but I may not live that long.

Anyway here's my photo.

Name:  Jag007.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  43.6 KB

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
I can agree with both sides of the use it or not argument. I have both beaters and garage keepers. I bought this for Laurie with the initial idea of her driving it daily. After seeing it first hand niether one of us likes that idea. Plus it fits in with our other Brit collector cars. I personally think that there is a point where a car gets to an age and the mileage/condition makes one feel almost guilty to trash it. Another bodyman, who unfortunately isn't with us now, used to to say..."Don't romance them, it's just a car" But with some cars I have a hard time with that. We plan to use it for trips and pleasure use on nice days. It will get some additional miles for sure but not a daily driver. I see these as future classics but I may not live that long.

Anyway here's my photo.

While I'm definitely one to appreciate a future classic and want to keep it low miles etc. I have a 1990 500sl at home that has 73,000 original miles on it (And it's 21 years old). I just don't think that a run of the mill 2003 S-Type 3.0 (I have one too), will be a car that will ever garner that status. Especially with a salvage title history. Now if you had some virgin garage queen S-Type R, of which only 2000 graced our shores, especially with uber low miles, than maybe.

My brother has a '69 Chevelle 4 door with a numbers matching 307 and the TH350. Body is solid, runs great. Chrome could use a little bit of help, but its presentable for a daily driver. Has a late 80's hot rod ish paint scheme of purple scallops over the original mint green paint. It's not everyone's taste but it gives the car character. He can't get $4500 for it cause it has 2 doors too many. If it were a coupe it would be a 30+k car.

Not all cars make it just because they are old.

I would just drive and enjoy it, and not be concerned with how many miles are going on it.

Just my .02 of a dollar.

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 03-03-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Maybe I should just part it out then. Probably worth more than I paid for it???

Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Let' see who's got the lowest, and who has the highest!
LOlz...show off If you be driving that fast down here in Mississippi you more than likely will be fed to the gators out in the swamps and your car will most likely be used as a parade car for Miss Mississippi pageant. Now if I was driving that fast ,ohh you don't wanna know what would happen to me

Drive safely, God Bless!

Attached Thumbnails How many miles you all have? Post pic of odometer here!-6a_640.jpg  

Last edited by jaguar007; 03-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should just part it out then. Probably worth more than I paid for it???
That honestly depends on the numbers... PM me if you want to discuss it further.

On another note how much would you want for the passenger door mirror??

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would just drive that 3.0 until the wheels fall off. My dad used to have one back when the 2000 had just come out. I remember he was telling me he had to floor it all the time or it would not move under its own power. I remember going with him, every time he took off from a stop, pedal to the floor..for 40k miles straight he did that!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 64k. I want to see 150k+ on an STR.....anybody?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've heard of ONE trans failure on any STR on this board,
My friend's parents had an '04 non-R and the tranny failed after just 3k miles and needed replaced. That's not something that should happen after you spend $60k.

My '03 STR is around 111k right now, bought it with 60k three years ago. I drive it a lot.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I picked up my 03 STR last May with 85k on her clock. After driving 85 miles round trip six days a week she now sports a tick over 105K on the clock! Runs flawlessly, and in a week or two after releasing her form her icy confines, will recieve a 3 lb pulley, Mafioso intake elbow, NGK plugs, and by-pass the TB coolant lines. She'll be mine unless she gits rid of me first. Nuff said. LOL!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
That honestly depends on the numbers... PM me if you want to discuss it further.

On another note how much would you want for the passenger door mirror??

Take care,

George

Actually you would have to discuss all this with Laurie. I did buy it for her in the first place and she's the one that decided she didn't want to use it for a beater. I doubt you would be able to convince her otherwise. I sure don't have the nerve to ask about the mirror.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Actually you would have to discuss all this with Laurie. I did buy it for her in the first place and she's the one that decided she didn't want to use it for a beater. I doubt you would be able to convince her otherwise. I sure don't have the nerve to ask about the mirror.

Honestly it really depends on what you are into it for when it's done.

I think labor for repair / labor to part out may be a wash.

I'd just have her enjoy the car if I were you, and dissuade her of the notion that it should be a babied garage queen because of it's history. As someone else said, drive it till the wheels fall of.

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,310 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Agreed. The S-Type 3.0 is a great bang-for-the-buck highway cruiser, partly due to its fall-off-the-cliff depreciation. Doesn't matter how gorgeous you or I think it is, it will never be a collectors item. Just drive it, take care of it, and enjoy it....

Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM

I was being sarcastic about parting it. No intention of that. That was in responce to the remarks that it's basically worth as much as a clapped out Dodge Neon.

And I agree about the collector value. Never know though. Sometimes the ones people consider worthless and drive into the ground end up being scarce because of it. But I'm not counting on this being a retirement fund anytime soon. I'm not that stupid believe me.

After it's all done the title will be applied for in her name. After that it's up to her. As I said before, this is the car she always wanted. I was just glad to get one in this condition in a manner I could afford. I also know she is pretty rough on her daily drivers. I just picked up a Subaru Outback for that duty.

I think back to a fella in our TR club. Decided it would be a great idea to buy this real nice 87 XJ6 for his wife to drive. It took her about two years and it was sitting in the yard, rotted out and not running. I think they donated it to goodwill.

I am also well aware of reconstructed titles effect on prices. I still manage to sell them though as long as the price is right. This one really doesn't matter because we have no intention of selling it in the near future.

This conversation actually sounds quite familiar. The MGB guys have differing views also. Some, like myself, consider them as either classics or summer toys while others drive them everyday as cheap fun cars. Whatever floats your boat I guess. For daily duty in the trenches, I prefer something more disposable and easily replaced. Not to mention cheaper to maintain and easier on gas. Oh yeah that's another thing...Premium Fuel. She barely affords regular.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts & sugestions.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon89
Agreed. The S-Type 3.0 is a great bang-for-the-buck highway cruiser, partly due to its fall-off-the-cliff depreciation. Doesn't matter how gorgeous you or I think it is, it will never be a collectors item. Just drive it, take care of it, and enjoy it....
+1 It will never be a collectors item, now a days I only see elderly people driving those; mostly the STR's are more of a young mans car who loves style and sophistication at the same time who is power hungery

Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

I was being sarcastic about parting it. No intention of that. That was in responce to the remarks that it's basically worth as much as a clapped out Dodge Neon.

And I agree about the collector value. Never know though. Sometimes the ones people consider worthless and drive into the ground end up being scarce because of it. But I'm not counting on this being a retirement fund anytime soon. I'm not that stupid believe me.

After it's all done the title will be applied for in her name. After that it's up to her. As I said before, this is the car she always wanted. I was just glad to get one in this condition in a manner I could afford. I also know she is pretty rough on her daily drivers. I just picked up a Subaru Outback for that duty.

I think back to a fella in our TR club. Decided it would be a great idea to buy this real nice 87 XJ6 for his wife to drive. It took her about two years and it was sitting in the yard, rotted out and not running. I think they donated it to goodwill.

I am also well aware of reconstructed titles effect on prices. I still manage to sell them though as long as the price is right. This one really doesn't matter because we have no intention of selling it in the near future.

This conversation actually sounds quite familiar. The MGB guys have differing views also. Some, like myself, consider them as either classics or summer toys while others drive them everyday as cheap fun cars. Whatever floats your boat I guess. For daily duty in the trenches, I prefer something more disposable and easily replaced. Not to mention cheaper to maintain and easier on gas. Oh yeah that's another thing...Premium Fuel. She barely affords regular.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts & sugestions.
I agree with you and I'm sure this isn't your first rodeo with an R title car.

With the miles on that car, and you providing the labor for free, I'm sure you could easily make a profit when finished. Especially with all the photos to prove that the damage was 95% bolt ons.

My 03 is my daily driver. It just crossed 106k and does 75 miles daily. It has never let me down, never left me stranded etc. (Knock on wood).

Hey as you said, to each is own. Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaguar007
+1 It will never be a collectors item, now a days I only see elderly people driving those; mostly the STR's are more of a young mans car who loves style and sophistication at the same time who is power hungery

Hey watch it there! At 58 I'm getting a bit sensitive about the term "Elderly"

Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enjoy just about every mile 190, miles i have put on mine (at least those that wer done by me). I have two other much newer vehicles but still drive this one more and since i like it I will ride till the doors fall off. Took it for detailing last weekend and got quite a few attaboys from 25 year old crowd. Then they ask what year is it and I can say you were in middle school when this car came out .

At this point i think it will just be a project car and see if i can tip the meter at 300,000 only 109k to go.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ride is in the shop atm awaiting all news rims and tires... oh well. But I just Broke 116k and it drives great. I origionally purchased it just to be my school car, but if its still in the same state a year from now when I graduate, I would very happy and likley keep it. I really enjoy the vehicle. TBH my SAAB was a little more comfortable and the interior had a better layout, but I still like the S-Type better. I just hope they build an R that is comparable in HP to the CTS-V Coupe by then. I think I would like to stick with Jag for my daily driver.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

2000 S-Type 3.0 75,000 mi and I have not looked back.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19,191 Likes on 7,757 Posts

Hey watch it there! At 58 I'm getting a bit sensitive about the term "Elderly"

Relax kid. .I just turned 71, but i don't look a day over 130...
The women just don't look my way and smile anymore, just a cute snikker...

Quick Reply: How many miles you all have? Post pic of odometer here!