Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need advice on buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Riski.
Stu is in Canada and I know(don't know why, I have done it myself)is reluctant to buy in the US.It is much easier to do than most Canadians think.
With the dollar close to par it is a great time to buy south of the border.
I also think he is wanting to keep the price around $14000.
He should sell his car private to get the most value for it.
Agreed. Selling private is DEFINATELY the way to go, you are throwing away thousands by trading it in.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Agreed. Selling private is DEFINATELY the way to go, you are throwing away thousands by trading it in.
YEP..
I got double the price for my old 01 S type over what 3 dealers offered me for it.
These guys are out to make money on every car they flip. Can't say I blame them,thats why they are in the biz.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

YEP..
I got double the price for my old 01 S type over what 3 dealers offered me for it.
These guys are out to make money on every car they flip. Can't say I blame them,thats why they are in the biz.

yea, i could sell it privatly, but when i sold it, i would not know even wher eto begin. I have no idea how much my car is worth. Plus, there are a few issues like, replacing a rim, putting the leaper back on, which isn't hard, fixing the popping vents, and there a sqeuking in the back, which i think is a busking.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ahhhh well you would be getting a higher mileage STR, and take the chances of one that was beat on more than others at that price range....I found a silver 03 STR at a dealership w/65k miles and was the dark grey color for 13k.....but I dont think there will be many around in Canada.....

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Riski
ahhhh well you would be getting a higher mileage STR, and take the chances of one that was beat on more than others at that price range....I found a silver 03 STR at a dealership w/65k miles and was the dark grey color for 13k.....but I dont think there will be many around in Canada.....

yea i just go off the phone fromt eh dealer, my x type is worth 6 grand, which i think is horse**** lol, but they will try to make money,. And the s type was sent into our local shop for a major repair service, around 4 grand and that was a tune up, accoding to her, im asssuming the car was treated like ****. Im going to hang on to mine, and just wait till something pops up, there a nice grey one in edomonton for 34 grand, maybe ill just bust my balsl and get that lol
I aprreciate everyones input

Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Disco, fly in drive home... check this 1 out!!!!

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1626252592.html

Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

exaclty wha ti was looking for, but my time scdule is usper busy, you know becoming a med student. But i actaully liek the idea of going to the us to check out the str, seems like u guys got more variety

Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Hell Disco, I will take a looksey at it for you!!! Send me the cash and I will be more than happy to "store" it for you until you have more time!!!!! hehehehe

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here are a couple more that are a little closer to the North East.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...srep=&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=used&distance=200&marketZipError=false& search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_di splay=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearc hform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sel ler_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pri ceDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&end_year=2011&door s=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=96&standard=fa lse

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...srep=&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=used&distance=200&marketZipError=false& search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_di splay=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearc hform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sel ler_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pri ceDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&end_year=2011&door s=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=122&standard=f alse

Let us know if you want to chase any of these....

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Here are a couple more that are a little closer to the North East.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...srep=&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=used&distance=200&marketZipError=false& search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_di splay=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearc hform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sel ler_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pri ceDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&end_year=2011&door s=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=96&standard=fa lse

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...srep=&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=used&distance=200&marketZipError=false& search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_di splay=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearc hform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sel ler_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pri ceDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&end_year=2011&door s=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=122&standard=f alse

Let us know if you want to chase any of these....
Hey guys.
If I am correct Stu is in Alberta near Calgary.
His best and nearest locations due south would be Salt Lake area,Denver or Texas, maybe the Dakota's but not sure how many STR's would be available there.
Stu, steer me right if I'm wrong.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Hey guys.
If I am correct Stu is in Alberta near Calgary.
ooops..... I think your right.... Now I feel like a dumbass... Duh, there is more to Canada than what is across Lake Erie!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The best used car is one that looks, feels, handles like it just left the factory. The one you're contemplating buying will depart from this objective by some amount, depending on many factors that are difficult sometimes to determine. Here's a small list of things easy to check, and other tips.
1) Who owned the car before? If it's been a taxi or police vehicle, walk!
2) Open and shut each door a couple of times. If the driver's door sounds a lot different than the rest, the car's been used for short journeys -- bad news. Long journeys are best even if the mileage is highish.
3) Don't believe the clock mileage. No-one in the UK does anymore; it's incredibly cheap and easy to alter mileage readings.
4) Run your fingers gently down the shut lines. Any unevenness or widening gaps show up a car that's been crashed and repaired. Do you want such a car? Run your fingers gently over the tyre treads checking for 'lifted' treads showing misalignment of steering parts, or much worse, a misaligned body after crash repairs.
5) Don't assume because there is no pedal-rubber wear, the steering wheel isn't shiny, and the driver's seat seems to have no wear that it's a low-miler. I've been fooled by this one!
6) Has the car been altered from specification? Different engines, wrong wheels, wrong silencer/muffler systems etc. You have no idea if these alterations are appropriate, if they have been done in a competent manner or not. You could be contravening local/national laws, or even risking driving a car that could be dangerous. The germans are extemely fussy on this one -- the car you drive in Germany must be as the manufacturer made it! Or else!
7) Is it suspiciously cheap? If so be on guard. In UK there are thousands of "cloned" vehicles on the road, not just cars. A "cloned" vehicle is one that has been stolen and all indication as to it's identity removed. The number plate, vin#, chassis number, engine number are replaced with ones befitting a genuine one already on the road. This means there are TWO identical-looking vehicles on the roads, even down to registration numbers. Don't let the fake be yours! The police can come to your house and take it away. Then you have no car and no money.
Leedsman.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

wow, man, your you us guys have it super cheap down there. And yeah ill have to find time int he summer to track one down.

YES THERE IS MORE TO CANADA, then us kicking your buts at hockey lol.
I might just save the buying tips from leedsman down, i wil dinitly save me a bunch.
Whats up with the chrome surrounds, i know on the x type, the sport has them the same color as the body, is it the same for the stypes??

Yea alberta i where i'm from, all we see around here are big, jacked up maerican trucks, with chips, rims and exhuast, those are super cheap up here. but whats rare is the jags, mercs, and italian cars, they just don't do good in -50 celcius, unless its the x type, which left the big trucks stuck int he snow!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

O, and im looking for black or white, preferably, reds not to bad ehtier, they just charge more for insuarance

Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes indeed, if you drive a lot on snow, the X-type AWD is the one to have. Our UK Jeremy Clarkson of BBC "Top Gear" showed us all how well it went and gripped in these conditions. Get the estate car/wagon in the first place and you'll have plenty room for the shovels, blankets, thermos of coffee, etc. too.
Leedsman.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Whats up with the chrome surrounds, i know on the x type, the sport has them the same color as the body, is it the same for the stypes??!!
Yes it is....Meaning the S Type sport package does have a body color grill surround. Now they are very rare for a Non-R car but very common on the R. A couple of neat trivia things.... When the S got restyled in 2005 the trim on the deck lid for the R was body color. That was the only year..From 06 and up all R's got a chrome strip on the trunk. Also, a premium package was offered on the R that gave it all the chrome trim of the standard car along with conventional burl wood trim.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Here are a couple of the luxury package R's I talked about...Just posted for the photos.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p=082&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&se arch_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_disp lay=R&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearch form&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sell er_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pric eDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_ye ar=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=12 41&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p=082&engine=8 Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s earch_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&se arch_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=JAG&keywords_disp lay=R&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearch form&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&sell er_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=pric eDESC&address=44310&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_ye ar=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=37 1&standard=false

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by caseykelleher
http://www.offleaseonly.com/inventory.htm

Im not sure if it will bring you right to the jaguar page but if you would search the inventory there are only 4 jags available and 1 type r
Get a car history report..Also, get the VIN and talk to a local Jaguar dealer. They can pull a service history on the car. It may be on the up and up. See, there are lemon laws in effect. Basically speaking, if the car keeps going back for the same problem, the manufacturer has to take it back. There are cases where the manufacturer will take it back just on a threat of "lemon law" to avoid the cost of litigation. It is rare and I would be suspicious since it would have been cheaper for Jaguar to simply replace every component of the Navigation system then get into the hassle of reselling the car. So, there may have been a lot more issues than just the Nav... Tread carefully on this one and get your own history on the car. I wouldn't trust information from the dealer in this case.

Quick Reply: i need advice on buying