S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i-Phone Reception Poor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default i-Phone Reception Poor

STR new to me by 5 days all working OK with the exception of the very very poor reception on the Bluetooth car system, no problems with i-phone 4S as it worked with my CLS500. Problem is there is no clarity of the received voice as if the incoming reception is breaking up. Notified the dealer of the problem so hopefully they may have a solution. Has anybody had a similar problem or is this typical of the Jaguar bluetooth system. I feel sure there is a problem with the system.
Any comments fully appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,808 Likes on 12,173 Posts

The best thing to be said about Jaguar BlueTooth is that if you persevere, it does eventually work. They certainly lag behind with this technology.

Before throwing in the towel and going to the dealer, it's worth clearing the pairing and pairing again to ensure correct linking.

The Jaguar BlueTooth equipment is pretty much generic across the model ranges so if the S-Type is like the XK8, the incoming call volume is set independently of the audio volume.

Graham

(with factory fitted BlueTooth)

The following users liked this post:
MacSTR (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
The best thing to be said about Jaguar BlueTooth is that if you persevere, it does eventually work. They certainly lag behind with this technology.

Before throwing in the towel and going to the dealer, it's worth clearing the pairing and pairing again to ensure correct linking.

The Jaguar BlueTooth equipment is pretty much generic across the model ranges so if the S-Type is like the XK8, the incoming call volume is set independently of the audio volume.

Graham

(with factory fitted BlueTooth)
Thanks for the advice. I have read the manual and can't see any instructions on how to clear the pairing. No doubt it is very easy and thats why I missed the obvious, please advice if you know the way.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 AM
GGG

The BlueTooth instructions have been reduced from a separate twenty nine page manual in earlier years to two pages in the 2007 S-Type Driver's Handbook.

Once paired, your phone becomes the default phone. When the ignition is switched on, the system looks for the default (last paired) phone. If this phone is switched off or out of range, the system will revert to the 'Handset in use' screen. At this point, entering the code ##3#*# should put the system into 'discovery mode' allowing the pairing procedure to be carried out again.

The pairing procedure varies from phone to phone. Instructions for specific phones can be downloaded from the Jaguar Connectivity Centre:

Jaguar UK - Bluetooth Connectivity

Some members have had to pair a different phone and then pair the original phone again to get the system operating correctly.

Graham

Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks, did the unpair and repair everthing works well with phone book etc. But the main problem is the distorted quality of sound that is coming from the speakers, very distorted and lots of crackels. Did a check with a Garmin 2460 I have and i-phone worked well with no distrortion so I believe something is adrift with Jaguar unit. As I have now had the STR seven days and have a 12month warranty a trip back to the dealer for a fix is needed, I think it needs a new unit. Will post the result.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM

http://jaguar45.nextgen-technology.net/Phones?culture=en&cultureId=23&vehicleName=s-type&vehicleId=10&vin=n91191&isLatest=False&region Id=1

Was given the link above to check my i-phone which is a 4S and the listed compatible phone is an i-phone 4 software version 4.3 my software on the 4S is version 5.1.1. Was told that this may be the problem. The interesting part is that we tried to pair my partners i-phone 3G and that would not pair and that is listed as a compatible phone. I am not 100% convinced that this is the problem as my phone does work with numbers all listed but it is a poor speaker problem. Need to do more research.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Now informed that the 4S is not compatible and should not use it as it can effect the ecu of the car Ah well back to the drawing board or in my case PC.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by MacSTR
Now informed that the 4S is not compatible and should not use it as it can effect the ecu of the car Ah well back to the drawing board or in my case PC.
Jaguar really are dreadful when it comes to telephone technology. Even with a new model, it's barely adequate when released.

That's an interesting comment on the ECU. I've read numerous reports about incompatibility issues with the latest phones but this is the first with the suggestion of the phone negatively impacting on vehicle performance or running.

Graham

Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jaguar really are dreadful when it comes to telephone technology. Even with a new model, it's barely adequate when released.

That's an interesting comment on the ECU. I've read numerous reports about incompatibility issues with the latest phones but this is the first with the suggestion of the phone negatively impacting on vehicle performance or running.

Graham

Used my contacts direct at Jaguar to research this problem further. The phone that is listed as compatable with my 2007 STR is the i-phone 4 software version 4.3 and all other types listed. If a non listed phone is used and any problems with the ecu etc than there can be a major warranty problem. We have just done another check with an i-phone 3G it pairs but the sound quality is the same. Dealer is going to check next week but the bottom line is that my Apple i-phone 4S is totally not compatable with a 2007 Jaguar S Type R. Good job I don't use the mobile in the car a lot. This is just the principal, if I was a big user I would have had to change my phone.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad phone! Bad!

Had the opposite problem - person on the other end was getting broken reception, if at all. Unpaired & re-paired. Problem fixed (for now).

Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 AM

Sorted my problems with the Jaguar STR Bluetooth system and my i-phone 4S. The dealer discovered a major problem with the unit and the unit would need replacing. As the STR was on 12 month warranty they called the warranty man from Jaguar who said that the warranty did not cover the bluetooth unit. The cost to me would have been £900. Even if I had decided to have a new unit the iphone 4S would not work as it is not compatible. The Jaguar dealer fitted a Parrot Mki top of the range free of charge which does everthing that I need it to do even picks up all my music on my i-phone the sound and quality are first class. Just remember that non of the radio equipment is covered under a Jaguar extended warranty.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by MacSTR
.......... none of the radio equipment is covered under a Jaguar extended warranty.
Highlighted your quote in red as many won't be aware of this extended warranty limitation. Provided it's an unobtrusive and tidy installation, this is a much superior solution to the OE Jaguar equipment.

I've added the link to your other relevant question about this in Audio/Visual Electronics section:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1041-new-post/

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-27-2012 at 05:00 AM.