S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interconnecting your alarm system with Jag Leaper to Prevent Theft of Leaper

Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interconnecting your alarm system with Jag Leaper to Prevent Theft of Leaper

I take no credit for this, it was taken from another site, his user name is: Stefan Knappe Designs an Alarm System
source: http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/leaper.htm

"I'm sure some of you did have the nasty experience (like I had sometime) coming back to their beloved cat finding that some idiot has tried to break off the leaping cat mascot on your engine hood, denting and scratching the hood trying so.
I know, this is not an original equipment, and those who don't like it please be generous and don't flame.
On my car it has been installed by the previous owner, and though I wouldn't have it installed voluntarily, I like it.
I have set up an alarm system to prevent loss and damage. "

"This is the way I built my leaper alarm system. It is rather simple though working well.

You need the following parts
  • two bolts which fit into the leaper's base instead the orginal screws, length 5 cm. approx
  • four nuts which fit this bolt
  • two springs (I used springs which usually hold brake shoes to the anchor plate on drum brakes)
  • three washers which fit this bolt
  • a sheet of strong plastic or fibre (to insulate contact from ground)
  • a length of copper (or anything which makes good electrical contact,) which you cut and bend to gain some kind of installation like shown
  1. unscrew leaper
  2. insert new bolts into base of mascot
  3. insert leaper into existing holes on hood
  4. cut plastic/fibre sheet and copper to length and drill hole through both, fix them together with a screw and attach a length of wire at this place, held by the screw.
  5. bend copper finger roughly in a way it will fit on the front bolt
  6. using some emery paper, remove a little spot of paint where the finger will touch the inside of the hood if the leaper is moved
  7. rear bolt: slide spring over bolt (spring should be a little longer than bolt to build up some pressure), screw on nut down the bolt, put washer on nut, then the second nut. Screw down the outer nut until enough pressure is gained to hold the leaper tight. Screw the inner nut against the washer until tight fit.
  8. repeat as above, but insert the fibre part between two washers, finger pointing to the front.
  9. after installation, bend the copper finger in a way that it touches the engine hood (thus making ground contact) if the mascot is moved by about 5 mm.
Please keep in mind that I'm no artist and the drawings are scanned manual stuff which is not perfect. However, it should be easy to follow the hints, and, assuming each mascot installation is a little different, some additional effort may be necessary. I managed the whole installation in about two hours at a cost of DM 10."

Attached Thumbnails Interconnecting your alarm system with Jag Leaper to Prevent Theft of Leaper-electleaper.jpg