S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JAGUAR S-Type 2.7d V6 XS Diesel, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi tradot

I brought a 2005 s type 2.7EU sport yesterday after 7 years with a focus. Had been looking at the 2.2d x types and so glad I went for the s type after being picked up by the dealer in a x type. Have researched this buy a lot and the main recurring issue appears to be this dpf so make sure you give it a blast, but if you're anything like me that will not be an issue!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Chris, and welcome to the forum btw

Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

There are quite a few issues unique to the diesel S-Type - which are covered well on the forum I posted. At least EGR, turbos, oil cooler, DPF regen, oil-fired heater, and make sure the PCM (aka ECM) has the most up to date software so that it has the best chance of protecting the engine from the DPF issues.

As I say, those are unique to the 2.7D (the early cars have no DPF) so just research them if you have or are thinking of getting a diesel jag.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 best place to look up SType diesels

Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Hi Chris thanks for the info have arranged atest drive at weekend . will let you kno whow it goes . Also got a mechanic friend to have alook . Tradot

Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Oh no! A warning after only one week. Today I drove from Liverpool to Matlock and 2 hours into the journey the Restricted Performance amber warning came on. It stayed on for the last half hour on the A roads but didn't come on during the return journey 4 hours later.

I have a 55 plate s type 2.7d with a full Jag service history with the last one in Sept.

From what I have read I do not have a DPF (downturn exhausts). It also had a 4 hour run back from Glasgow last weekend, so even if it did, that should have cleared any build up.

After a week of grinning like a idiot over my new Jag, I suddenly have a furrowed brow.

Any ideas what the problem could be before I pay them to plug their software in?

Thanks

Chris

Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

Almost no-one here has the diesel and almost all of the usual problems posted here do not apply to the diesel.

There are way too many complex things to guess so you need to get the codes. I expect the elm327 works but you also have a PCM that's unique to the diesels (made by Siemens not Denso).

Also, the codes PDFs on here do not cover the diesel. (I've never seen one that does.)

You'd likely be better on the .co.uk forum I've mentioned before. From what I've seen, EGR & turbos are two of the problems specific to the diesel (apart from the DPF).

Maybe a diesel owner has a Jaguar codes PDF for your car.

The data should be on jag's TOPIx, though I could not find it.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Chrisspeakman

JagV8 is totally correct you should use the UK forum I suspect that you are posting on both, but no one in USA has a Diesel S or X type, so you will for the most part be wasting your time, and with out codes the restricted performance can be from lots of sources, so get codes read, either buy your own ELM or go to a mechanic who has a Jaguar code reader

Last edited by barney100golf; 11-26-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys.

The UK forum is down so not getting any joy there. Will have to get it plugged in and find out what's going on.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,612 Likes on 7,520 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisspeakman
Thanks guys.

The UK forum is down so not getting any joy there. Will have to get it plugged in and find out what's going on.

Welcome to this forum. Stick around, you may find it better...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Default 2007 S-Type 2.7 sport

I have owned this car for 2 years. It had 36k on the clock when I bought it and had been well looked after. It has never given me any problem since purchase. I changed the gearbox oil at 40k and it made a difference,quieter and smoother. The mechanic told me the gearbox was a BMW box. I have never had any problem with the DPF as the car gets regular long runs. It returns about 36mpg on combined driving and will do over 40mpg on long runs. This is a lovely car to drive and despite the confined boot space and only reasonable back seat leg space I love it. Every time I return to it I look at it and cant think of any car I'd rather own. I have not found it an expensive car to run my local garage gives it a full service for less than £200 and my tyres are wearing well. It does not use any oil and fuel consumption does not seem to change much whether you are doing 50 or 70mph. Although it really feels good when on the motorway it is not clumsy on twisty back roads. if there is one area where I need to be careful it is around ground clearance as it is low to the ground.

Hope this helps anyone considering a purchase.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

It's not a BMW box (but BMW also use them if it's the ZF 6HP26 autobox).

Not many will be here who are considering a diesel Jaguar! But for anyone who is: regular long runs are essential with the DPF. (Doesn't guarantee it'll be OK, but increases the chances.) Also, make 100% sure you have the latest software in the PCM (aka ECM - the main computer) as it has extra checks for DPF problems.

With the diesel (and only the diesel), it's wise to check the engine oil level often and if it ever goes UP then seek urgent advice as your engine is at serious risk.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Default Jaguar S-Type 2.7D 2007

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's not a BMW box (but BMW also use them if it's the ZF 6HP26 autobox).

Not many will be here who are considering a diesel Jaguar! But for anyone who is: regular long runs are essential with the DPF. (Doesn't guarantee it'll be OK, but increases the chances.) Also, make 100% sure you have the latest software in the PCM (aka ECM - the main computer) as it has extra checks for DPF problems.

With the diesel (and only the diesel), it's wise to check the engine oil level often and if it ever goes UP then seek urgent advice as your engine is at serious risk.
Thanks JagV8 its good to know this is a shared gearbox with BMW as I suspect that probably means its a good one. Re the update to the ECM can I simply ask a jag dealership to do this without having a full service or can I ask them to look and check it has been done as it will be recorded on Jaguars computer under the reg of the vehicle. Sorry if this sounds a silly question but I have not dealt with dealerships and dont know how they work. I was also told that it is possible to fit something which takes the DPF out of the circuit therefore avoiding the potential problems. The person explaining this, not a tech, described the fitting as a bolt and made it sound simple. Have you heard of this?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Any dealer can just update software. The update should be on the records but I'm doubtful if they're 100% accurate, not least because the update can be done by anyone with the right tool (even DIY, though expensive). DPF delete is or ought to be illegal because the whole point is to try to stop the vast numbers of problems caused to health by diesel particulates, NOx etc. (COPD, asthma etc.) Won't be a bolt. Expect car stuck in limp home mode if not engine destruction if you try that!!

Just reading the software version is a 5 min job, DIY if you get an elm327 (though you'd need to ask Jaguar what the current 2.7D's software version should be).

The ZF box has problems. Don't always occur and most live with them. It's just not quite good enough and the BMW & Audi forums are full of people saying the same. Search / google on "the lurch" or 6HP26 if you want to scare yourself.

edit: There are lots more things to know about the diesel and they're covered on the UK forum (such as keeping the turbos from sticking).

Last edited by JagV8; 02-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.