Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JoycesJag ZF 6HP26 Tranny sleeve saga

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default JoycesJag ZF 6HP26 Tranny sleeve saga

Ok guys I did not want to dilute ccc's post yet, but I have some added information.

I had taken the vehicle to Eddies Wrecking and Tire Service at 4:00 PM (Eddie is charging me $100.00 lift fee). For myself the $100.00 is well worth the time of jerking around with trying to get the vehicle up, level and doing yet another job on my back!

Eddie gave me an hour to get the vehicle up, level and drain the very hot fluid. Things went really fast. On our 2005 the 21 Torx bolts (fluid pan and filter) are T40's. Our vehicle is 100% southern and the bolts came out with ease, but I can see where salt would corrode them really bad as ccc mentioned (if northern vehicle buy the new bolts).

Next the "special tool" and 8mm allen wrench comes into play (for the oil fill plug). Instead of cutting my nice 8mm allen wrench (as ccc did), I went to the zone and purchased a 8mm allen socket ($4.99), put it a vice loosely, took a punch and a BFH (big frickin' hammer) and pounded out the 1 1/4" 8mm allen out of the socket part, fits purrrfectly into the tight area. Using the "special tool" and an 8 mm box wrench and the BFH again the 8mm oil fill plug finally loosened up (as ccc mentioned it is tight, really tight and again no corrosion on it.

While the liquid gold was draining, I decided to remove all but 2 front pan bolts. The bolts were still pretty hot, but I have manly hands and could handle the heat.

All the above was done in less than 15 minutes.

I am returning tommorow at 8:00 AM to remove the 2 pan bolts, replace the sleeve and pan filter and fill her up with Castrol Multi Import ATF. The Zone has the Castrol on sale buy 2 get 1 free! I feel confident that the vehicle will be rolling in less than an hour tomorrow. The reason why I choose a 2 part (day) procedure is due to the heat on the exhaust and fluid, and Eddies bay was open both tonight and tomorrow morning so why not!

I am going to add to ccc's post with pictures of the "special tool" and a less lengthy post. <--meaning my post

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-21-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Ok guys I did not want to dilute ccc's post yet, but I have some added information.

I had taken the vehicle to Eddies Wrecking and Tire Service at 4:00 PM (Eddie is charging me $100.00 lift fee). For myself the $100.00 is well worth the time of jerking around with trying to get the vehicle up, level and doing yet another job on my back!

Eddie gave me an hour to get the vehicle up, level and drain the very hot fluid. Things went really fast. On our 2005 the 21 Torx bolts (fluid pan and filter) are T40's. Our vehicle is 100% southern and the bolts came out with ease, but I can see where salt would corrode them really bad as ccc mentioned (if northern vehicle buy the new bolts).

Next the "special tool" and 8mm allen wrench comes into play (for the oil fill plug). Instead of cutting my nice 8mm allen wrench (as ccc did), I went to the zone and purchased a 8mm allen socket ($4.99), put it a vice loosely, took a punch and a BFH (big frickin' hammer) and pounded out the 1 1/4" 8mm allen out of the socket part, fits purrrfectly into the tight area. Using the "special tool" and an 8 mm box wrench and the BFH again the 8mm oil fill plug finally loosened up (as ccc mentioned it is tight, really tight and again no corrosion on it.

While the liquid gold was draining, I decided to remove all but 2 front pan bolts. The bolts were still pretty hot, but I have manly hands and could handle the heat.

All the above was done in less than 15 minutes.

I am returning tommorow at 8:00 AM to remove the 2 pan bolts, replace the sleeve and pan filter and fill her up with Castrol Multi Import ATF. The Zone has the Castrol on sale buy 2 get 1 free! I feel confident that the vehicle will be rolling in less than an hour tomorrow. The reason why I choose a 2 part (day) procedure is due to the heat on the exhaust and fluid, and Eddies bay was open both tonight and tomorrow morning so why not!

I am going to add to ccc's post with pictures of the "special tool" and a less lengthy post.
Nice story. I watched this being done on mine. My tranny place only charges $100 plus filter and fluid. I think I will let them do it again if I make it another 80k miles.

BTW: Just curious... what did Eddy think of your bathrobe?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

HA! the bathrobe is for in my garage!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Wow Rick, that's incredibly fast work. Paying Fast Eddie to use his lift is well worth the hundred bucks, and by going with the Castrol Multi-Import ATF (which as you know meets the Shell M1375.4 specs of the original ZF Fluid at probably one-tenth the price), you can certainly afford it! I hope this morning's new sleeve installation and new fluid fill-up goes equally easy and fast for you. Be sure to let us know how much of the old fluid you were able to get out of the system. I hope it's close to the full 10 litres....

You think Fast Eddie will allow this again for those of us close enough to drive down to your neck of the woods and do it? I continue to ask around the shops here in the Raleigh area for whenever I decide to change our S-Type's ATF, but so far no takers....

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Yes Jon it went incredibly fast!! I was able to button things up in 45 minutes this morning. I took the temp of the fluid before I started putting into the autobox and it was already at 33c, so the heat up to 40c went quickly.

I will inquire about Eddies shop for you and anyone else. I took them a 12 pack of icy cold ones last night (after 5:00 PM comsumption) Also I was going to take a couple dozen dounts this morning but they said biscuts , gravy and sausage would be better. So I cooked up a double batch of homemade this morning! Couple of the "local" guys said that they were the best they ever had! Imagine that a northerner out doin' momma's home cooked!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I forgot about 7 qts came out and 7.5 qts back in. I will be checking on the fluid every couple thousand miles and am planning on couple more "drain and refills". This is an easy job if you have the lift available!

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-21-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that Part Two this morning went as well as Part One did last night! Keep us posted on the ZF's performance and smoothness running mostly the Castrol Multi-Import ATF over the next month or so....

A few additional questions:

1. How did you heat up the new fluid prior to adding it to the pan?

2. What system did you use to actually feed the new fluid into the pan?

3. Does the new sleeve look like it's been redesigned or improved to prevent it from leaking again?

4. Any noticeable difference in ZF feel or sound on the drive back home?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I don't think you need to heat it because you add what you can / fill with engine running and the potential problem is it may get too hot before you finish. JTIS is pretty detailed and worth reading lol.

Brutal or another tech (apologies if I named the wrong person) pointed out it doesn't heat up fast so you're likely to have enough time.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Wow Rick, that's incredibly fast work. Paying Fast Eddie to use his lift is well worth the hundred bucks, and by going with the Castrol Multi-Import ATF (which as you know meets the Shell M1375.4 specs of the original ZF Fluid at probably one-tenth the price), you can certainly afford it! I hope this morning's new sleeve installation and new fluid fill-up goes equally easy and fast for you. Be sure to let us know how much of the old fluid you were able to get out of the system. I hope it's close to the full 10 litres....

You think Fast Eddie will allow this again for those of us close enough to drive down to your neck of the woods and do it? I continue to ask around the shops here in the Raleigh area for whenever I decide to change our S-Type's ATF, but so far no takers....
You aren't too far from me if you want a lift for the day I have access to one at about 4 bucks an hour. I'm in the Marine Corps and we have an auto shop on base for just working on your own cars you just rent the area and they give you all the tools. Anything really specialized you'd have to bring yourself. I could take you up there on the weekend when I'm not working as long as someone with a military ID takes you its all good. I always take my car up there when I have a big job. They also have mechanics there that will give you advice and help if you are stuck. One of the perks of being in the military. They also have a body shop with everything you need to paint a car that is set up the same way.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Here you go Jon,

1) The fluid was left in Eddies bay overnight, there is no AC in there and the garage temp was just above 91F (which equates to 33c) yes it was hot in there at 7:50 AM.

2) A hand pump that ccc described in the FAQ section with a 12" hose attached. I will post a picture of mine.

3) The only difference is the 3 rubber o rings on the original are red, ZF's are black. Again ccc has pictured the 2 side by side.

4) The vehicle is still at Eddies until this afternoon until I get a second driver without having to load up Joyce and the 3 little ones. A test drive of about 3 miles went very well On the way home this afternoon, I will take the long way including some highway.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Ray the head mechanic would do the this job for $150.00, you supply the parts. I have spent $183.00 in parts (pan/filter, fluid (again on sale at the Zone), sleeve and "special tool". Handed Eddie a benny. Totaling $283.00 US

My optional money spent, handed Ray a 20 spot for a teenie tiny bit of assistance, $8.00 for beer and $9.00 for the homemade biscuts and gravy with sausage.

GRAND TOTAL: $320.00, total job achieved in 1 hour! Money WELL spent!

jagv8, I believe if the outside temperature is cooler, then yes the fluid would take longer to achieve the 40c, ours took about 4 minutes to reach 40c from 33c.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
You aren't too far from me if you want a lift for the day I have access to one at about 4 bucks an hour.

WOW Vance, there you have it Jon!!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rick,

I don't think it's been 33C here for ...... ever?

OK, not quite true, but not far off!

John

Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rick,

Thanks for the additional info. Keep us posted on how everything proceeds from here....

Vance,

Thanks for your very generous offer. I assume you're in Jacksonville at Camp Lejeune?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Rick,

Great write-up as usual from you. Also you appear to be a man of many talents. A fashion consultant isn't one of them however.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know Mike, he may yet surprise us with his fashion sense. I wouldn't be surprised if he weaves his own underwear from 100% pure virgin Peruvian alpacas to wear on his head when he cuts his grass. After all, he's baking homemade biscuits bright and early, and an hour later he's changing his transmission fluid. If Rachel Ray doesn't hire him for her cooking show, then Danica Patrick may make him an offer to join her pit crew....

Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad it worked out for you! Just wanted to clarify, the old bolts on some cars were T27 and the new bolts are T40. The T27 may be difficult to get out if corroded and should be replaced with the new bolts. If you have the T40, you should be able to reuse them. Being a SoCal car, its only seen a few rain days so my bolt issues were related to my stupidy...of the two torx sets I have, I pulled out the one that skipped T27 and stripped a few bolts with the T25.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Rick,

I don't think it's been 33C here for ...... ever?

OK, not quite true, but not far off!

John

John as I type this it is now 40.55555555556C

If Rachel Ray doesn't hire him for her cooking show

Believe it or not Rachel Ray (talk show) conntacted me about a year and half ago about being an at home dad. But they were looking for a AHD that hated his job, totally not me.

Originally Posted by carelm

A fashion consultant isn't one of them however.
Oh back in the day 80's & 90's, Look out M C Hammer!!!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

40+!!
I melt at 27C or so!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
40+!!
I melt at 27C or so!
Me too, we are hovering at around 110 (43C) here unfortunately the bits I want to melt off won't.

Back on topic, good write up Rick, you made is sound really easy, everyone will be doing it now.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

norri, the easy part was I had a lift this time. That in itself saved alot of time. Once the vehicle was up and level its only an hour long job.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Rick,

Thanks for the additional info. Keep us posted on how everything proceeds from here....

Vance,

Thanks for your very generous offer. I assume you're in Jacksonville at Camp Lejeune?
That is correct I used to use the shop quite often before I picked up the STR cause I was always having problems with my other car. Which is why I got rid of it to get the STR. Just let me know if you are interested.

Quick Reply: JoycesJag ZF 6HP26 Tranny sleeve saga