S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob Purchase and Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

This is the S Type section, if you want info on the XK XKR keys, you should ask in the correct place..... XK / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alljagz
Yep - read the thread. But it looks as if all of those cars are not later model keyless entry. Different systems. My car does not have an ignition key but is push button start/stop. I think keyless entry was introduced ~2007 model year, not 100% sure but my wife's 2006 S-type is not keyless entry.

DOH! Sorry.... I guess I'm old enough that to me, "late model" refers to any car NOT originally designed to run on Leaded gasoline! :-)

Nut Norri is right-on that you may get more help in the appropriate forum section.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I posted some info on the X Type site that may be of interest.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ncy-key-82698/

I am amazed at some of the prices in the USA.
I am planning create, in the next few days a little guide with some photos of keys and parts.
In the UK on ebay.co.uk there are lots of keys and parts for sale. Some keys are high prices from main dealers. Lots of keys from scrapped cars.
I have today , for example, bought half a fob shell for £5 so I have got a new set of buttons. Postage for items from the UK should not be very expensive.

The following 2 users liked this post by henry k:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-27-2013), Michael Star (11-08-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sounds like it will be helpful!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alljagz
Yep - read the thread. But it looks as if all of those cars are not later model keyless entry. Different systems. My car does not have an ignition key but is push button start/stop. I think keyless entry was introduced ~2007 model year, not 100% sure but my wife's 2006 S-type is not keyless entry.
My Fob stopped working last week so I checked the battery and it was good so next thing was to do to get it programmed. I was referred to a locksmith here in San Antonio by the shop (I go for repairs) and the guy there programmed my key and it worked!

I asked him if he could program the newer models of jaguars and he said he can do Jaguars upto 2006 as of now as he had not upgraded his system for a while.

He charged me $50 for it. Here is thier website and contact if anybody wants more info?
Home

Hope this answers your question?

Thanks,
Rizwan

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (07-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't forget the trunk

I bought a fob and key online.....wasn't cheap...and had
it programmed at dealer....one dealer quote was way higher then the other one.....well....other day i was reminded the battery is in the trunk,
so using the key only...the new spare, trunk wouldn't open, the original
key worked so....am looking for receipt to take to dealer to get the
trunk function working on the spare they programmed.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Trunk lock is mechanical only, I believe. Works even with flat battery.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

so using the key only...the new spare, trunk wouldn't open, the original
key worked so....
Did you get the key copied from an existing one?

It is worthwhile getting the Tibbe code for the key.
( Google tells all about how to read the code).
A key can be cut from that information instead of copying an existing key.
My locksmith just dials in the Tibbe code to the key cutting machine and I get a perfect as new key.

You will probably need a new blade for the key and get that cut.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key for trunk

.....best I can tell the only difference is they didn't cut shoulders on
the end of the key....may take them both to a key shop see what they say. Spare wasn't a copy....got it online, w/o codes etc. so they
just didn't finish the job looks like.
Thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tibbe Code Reading

From what I've pieced together on the internet this is how you read your code for your key.
S-Type keys have six cuts at four possible depths. You'll see a thin bladed edge. That is the only portion you look at and you read it from the base going towards the tip.
The code starts with a T for Tibbe which is the key type.

A flat spot = 1
A shallow cut = 2
A mid cut = 3
A full cut = 4

An example would be T312432

Someone chime in if I'm explaning this incorrectly.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Programming Sequence

I just bought my 03 STR last week and the guy gave me two keys but said the one didn't work and he didn't know why but guessed it was the battery. I was at the dealer (60miles away) and bought a new battery and replaced it at home but the remote still does not work. From a search I seen in the x-type forum that there was a sequence to reprogram with turning the key in the ignition several times and pushing buttons etc. Is this the same sequence for the S-type or what should I try?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM

No, that won't work with the S it's dealer only.

Ovalmaster (10-28-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

for my '03 STR, I bought a key-blank on Ebay: $35.
I Swapped it onto the Fob I had sitting around from my '02 X-type that was totaled a couple years ago.
I took it over to my local locksmith with the car, and $75 later, It's all working properly.

so $110, complete. I don't see the problem.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Ok, today my working key fob is now not working. Now I have two fobs that don't work and I have to use the key in the door to lock/unlock the car. I have new batteries in them but need to get them programmed.

1. Where's the place to go to get them programmed other than a dealer between Toronto and London ON?

2. I've read somewhere where some forum members bought a computer diagnostic setup and have reprogrammed their own keys. Any of these guys in SW Ontario?

3. What would the dealer charge to program my fobs? Why did the keys drop the programming in the first place? Is this going to be a re-occurring problem?

Sorry for all the questions

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

If you want to come a bit further to Whitby,send me a PM and I will program your FOB/key using my Mongoose and JLR SDD.The cost will be a ride in your STR.

Norri (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM

I really appreciate that Six. I will take you up on that if I can't find a little easier alternative closer. I'm west of Brantford, so Whitby's 2hr's +- depending on traffic. Budd's charges 1/2 hr but wants an appointment, and is still an hour.

I just found one of your threads through a search, which indicated you programmed your own using mongoose clone? For the cost of 200-300 I may even consider this myself, cause I love this car and plan to keep it a while.

What is the way you would say is best to obtain mongoose? I haven't read enough or deep enough into it yet.

thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM

All the info you need is in the thread---clone from china/hong kong,a genuine JLR DVD130,from ebay' with user ID and password and your laptop with Windows XP Professional with SP2 or 3 (32 bit version) with 2GH processor,2GB ram and 40-60 GB hard drive.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Default Be carefull

I JUST NOTICED---if you changed the battery and the Fob did not work there is a good chance that the Fob is NFG.So if you go to a dealer and the fob is NFG you will be SOL!

In fact this was my situation,when I bought the car one fob worked and the other did not.I put a new battery and it still did not work.Based on my time at the Mazda dealership I had a good idea that the fob was nfg.I bought 3 new fobs from e-bay.

Then when I got my tool running the original non working fob would not program,the Other 4 fobs all programmed.So that fob was no good.

I would recommend that you go on e-bay and buy a pair of new fobs--last time Ilooked they were on sale for $12 US plus shipping--you can't go wrong--genuine Jaguar parts!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks for that info S.R.!

I agree, before I do anything I'll order some new fobs off ebay. Chances are that the dealer would have probably said they are nfg even if they were still good. I have a tendency not to trust dealerships entirely.

Last edited by Norri; 11-08-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM

It's not a swear word, but part of the reason the forums are free is because of support from dealers, we also have several techs who work for dealers and provide their knowledge and time free to help members with problems, they usually don't appreciate having their employers run down.

Lecture over, let us know how you get on with the fobs.

xjrguy (11-28-2012)

Quick Reply: Key and Fob Purchase and Programming