Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laying up an S-Type Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,169 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Winter grade snake oil from SteveinFrance LLC is the best but, obviously, you gets what you pays for.
reminder to all: it is distilled from the finest bacon grease only.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

---ENDORSED BY PLUMS----
---FORGET TERRACLEANING----

Better stop now or I'll get told off !!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmph! Marketers!

That wasn't an endorsement, it was simply a recitation about the properties of the particular brand of snake oil.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

LOL! Steve, please send me 6 quartz of your winter grade snake oil, bill it under Mikey's tab...and tip yourself $30.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Well, it's already almost Christmas.

Better start the debate on the summer grade snake oil or you'll never get through it in time for the coming season.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL! Steve, please send me 6 quartz of your winter grade snake oil, bill it under Mikey's tab...and tip yourself $30.
No probs- on the condition that you post a complete 'how-to' with pics and videos. Kinda like I talked myself into doing with Gonzo's underhood insulator that will stop my paint from burning and smother engine fires.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
No probs- on the condition that you post a complete 'how-to' with pics and videos. Kinda like I talked myself into doing with Gonzo's underhood insulator that will stop my paint from burning and smother engine fires.
You mean you want the Hand Squeezed Python 5-40 All Weather Fire Retardant Version ?
Rather pricey but, if I may say so, a very perspicacious choice.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM

You mean you want the Hand Squeezed Python 5-40 All Weather Fire Retardant Version ?
Rather pricey but, if I may say so, a very perspicacious choice.
Perspicacious? We're already well into winter conditions here with the possibility of 10-20 cm of snow on the way. Given this, there's little chance of me perspicating no matter how hard I work. Thanks for not saying 'sweating'- my Mother never liked that word.

In any case, I'd just as soon spring for the synthetic version of the oil no matter how much more expensive it might be. I've been reading car magazines for decades, not to mention years of watching lots of commercials on TV and without exception they all say that synthetics are much, much better. I'll also cut the oil change interval to half of what the OEM recommends cause we all know that the bean counters run the company and completely stifle what the in-jun-eers have to say. I also heard a guy saying that the ones hired by Jag are not the good ones- if they were really good they would be working for a big car company, maybe even one that hasn't gone bankrupt yet.

On the topic of viscosity, again thinking that the factory in their efforts to go cheap on the warranty budget, have lied to us. I believe that as engines age, we need to bump up the numbers. Given that the OP's car is a 2005 MY, he should be using at least 10W80.

Could you also put the 'good' additives in please- you know, the ones they used back when cars were cars and men were men?

Thanks, I'll have my bank in Nigeria send you an email about forwarding the funds.

Anybody know what this one is all about?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Mikey,

Funnily enough I already have your bank details from a really kind gentleman (with a very ill mother) in Mombasa.
I can offer two choices - our fully synthetic version

(again, for obvious reasons, sponsored by a Forum Worthy whose name modesty prevents me from revealing)
OR
for the discerning Gentleman with a Banjo and containing, of course, those 'you know' additives

delivered in a plain carton marked 'Used Carbon Paper No Value'

Stan, because of the blatant post hijack I am arranging for samples of our Famous Diesel OverWinter oil to be sent to you at Mikey's expense.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 11-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Perspicacious? We're already well into winter conditions here with the possibility of 10-20 cm of snow on the way. Given this, there's little chance of me perspicating no matter how hard I work. Thanks for not saying 'sweating'- my Mother never liked that word.

In any case, I'd just as soon spring for the synthetic version of the oil no matter how much more expensive it might be. I've been reading car magazines for decades, not to mention years of watching lots of commercials on TV and without exception they all say that synthetics are much, much better. I'll also cut the oil change interval to half of what the OEM recommends cause we all know that the bean counters run the company and completely stifle what the in-jun-eers have to say. I also heard a guy saying that the ones hired by Jag are not the good ones- if they were really good they would be working for a big car company, maybe even one that hasn't gone bankrupt yet.

On the topic of viscosity, again thinking that the factory in their efforts to go cheap on the warranty budget, have lied to us. I believe that as engines age, we need to bump up the numbers. Given that the OP's car is a 2005 MY, he should be using at least 10W80.

Could you also put the 'good' additives in please- you know, the ones they used back when cars were cars and men were men?

Thanks, I'll have my bank in Nigeria send you an email about forwarding the funds.

Anybody know what this one is all about?
Mikey, guess some of that Ontario snow is gunna eventually glide down on to us NY'ers? Gotta go guys...battening down the STR's hatches.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM

OR
for the discerning Gentleman with a Banjo and containing, of course, those 'you know' additives
Given that my dear Mother frowned upon the use of the word 'sweat', I can only imagine what she might think if she caught me playing the banjo.

Here's a pic of something else that was thought of as being inappropriate:

I'll have to ask her why she cares so much for the well being of naughty simians. My parents never spared the rod with me while I was growing up.

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mikey, guess some of that Ontario snow is gunna eventually glide down on to us NY'ers? Gotta go guys...battening down the STR's hatches.
Well, it seems much to do about nothing. The 'storm' has fizzled to only a possibility of 1-3cm at the most. I attribute this to me having fitted a new engine to a mid-60s snowblower I had hanging around to give it a new lease on life. Would you guys be interested in a discussion about fuel, oil, additives and general maintenance on snowblowers? Do any of you think we can possibly hijack this post any further?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my solution is I store mine but any day free of snow on the roads in NY i will just ride it around for a half hour or so about 2 x a week. Weather permiting.