S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left brake / tail light failure

Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default left brake / tail light failure

The dash info indicated a left brake light failure so I replaced the bulb. When I turned on the ignition and pushed the brake peddle the "failure" warning went away. I pushed on the brake a second time and the brake light failure reappeared, then tail light faulure appeared. I thought it may be the new bulb so I put in another one. Same thing happened. Now I notice if I leave the tail lights off I have no left rear brake light but the brake light failure warning does not come on. If I turn on the tail lights I get the tail light warning as well as the brake light warning. Now what??????????/

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the fusebox in the trunk. I think I recall that there are 2 fuses in there which control the tail lights and brakelights (module). Also check the ground on the taillight module which is on the trunk on the fender well. Pull out the carpet and you'll find it.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

may be the contacts also, or the wrong bulb.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 AM

I had the same confusing problem with my tail brake light...i i tried fix with the regular same bulb and it didnt worked...but i gived one more shot and i bought original german bulb and the problem was resolved...brake light works and no more warnings hopefully this will help....

The following users liked this post:
SickSType (07-26-2014)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Good points listed above. Please post what bulb you are installing. Jaguar uses different bulbs that most cars and you can force the incorrect bulb in the socket. I had weird problems with a front turn signal light until I checked it and finally installed the correct bulb.
So check your owner’s manual!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Default rear light problems

My left rear tail lights, the small bulb and the lower element of the dual tail/brake light bulb, work. When I brake the small bulb goes dimmer and the lower element of the big bulb goes completely out but the bright element of the dual bulb (the brake element) does not light up. If I turn on my rear fog lights both left rear tail light bulbs go out and the left rear fog light does not light up. If I brake while the rear fogs are on the right rear fog gets dim and the left rear fog barely glows. If I remove either left or right rear fog light bulbs while the fogs are on or off the right rear brake and tail lights work but the left rear tail lights will not come on. I have exchanged brake/tail light bulbs from left and right so its not the bulb. I have checked the ground and it is ok as it grounds left and right. Help!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

did you physically look at the connector?? does it look brown where the bulb plugs in?? i have seen this before and you may need to clean and or replace the original connectors.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how was this resolved Don R?

Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Look very closely and compare the original bulb with the replacement bulb. Especially the two short stubby prongs on the metal part of the bulb that twist into position in the bulb holder. They have to be exact position as the original. My brake light went out and I was given the wrong bulb that also burned brighter than the other tail light. It was a higher voltage, as well as the prongs being out of position by just a little. Look at both bulbs from the bottom and notice where the prongs are located, as if they are the hands on a clock. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in. I was having this problem (right brake light fail, right tail light fail) on my 2003 Jaguar S-Type 4.2L, and after checking and verifying all the fuses were good, I simply replaced the bulb, and it solved the problem!

As a side note, when I was testing things, I decided to take the suspect bulb and put it in the other side, and my car immediately produced the same dash errors for the other side! So, even though a bulb might seemingly be working (lights up, etc), I found that simply replacing the bulb(s) should be the FIRST thing you try. I wish I had done that first--it would have saved me a lot of time.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It may be that the two were different but look alike. Your new one would have been the correct kind. It's a fairly unusual one which is how people put the seemingly correct but actually wrong kind in. They look almost alike.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the bulb that was causing problems was the original OEM bulb, and I replaced it with an aftermarket bulb.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

Ohhh.... now THAT is really odd!!

Could help someone, though.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:16 PM

So team , If I replace the bulb for my left brake light , the warning light should go away by itself without having to clear the fault code manually via the trip computer ??? .

Old 03-05-2016, 12:45 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a similar problem with my left front turn signal light. The filaments in the bulb look fine. I take the bulb out, rub the contacts on my shirt, put it back in and everything works fine for a few months. It might be the connector, but most likely the car just wants attention every once in a while. Nothing on the car is leaking now, so I'm happy if that's all The Catmobile wants.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

" I take the bulb out, rub the contacts on my shirt, put it back in and everything works fine for a few months"

I have had the same issue - I have just ignored it for most part. It seems very intermittent comes and goes for no reason. I assume it must a loose contact or some kind of intermittent ground fault somewhere. Still have the OEM bulbs in there (I did buy a pair of bulbsto replace both sides at the same time but the tail light started working on its own - so never did).

BTW - where can one get a hold of this magic shirt ?

Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just a flannel shirt, probably from Costco or Kmart, maybe a gypsy blessed it? The problem probably is the connector not gripping tight enough anymore, but removing it and replacing is easy and gives it a good enough connection for a while. Rubbing it on my shirt is just part of the old Druid Jaguar Healer Ritual.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (11-25-2020)
Old 04-15-2017, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jim pitches

I have been told by auto electrictrion a replacement Module will fix the problem? Seems a bit over the top and expensive! !!

Old 04-15-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Parts swapping is easy but can be expensive. Proper diagnosis is cheap if you DIY and can be logical.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question SLCM Test Results - 2001 X308

1. SLCM disconnected case open - Continuity from SLCM connector OY to SLCM relay chip leg 4 as marked; continuity yes
2a. Disconnected from SLCM and light assembly; OY checked from SLCM connector to ground; continuity no
2b. Disconnected from SLCM and light assembly; OY checked from light assembly connector to ground; continuity no
3a. Disconnected from SLCM; external power applied to SLCM connector OY and ground; the correct filament lit up
4. SLCM connected case open, car battery connected, ignition on position 2; 12V sensed at each of the three relay chips

I'm grateful you are sticking with me! I think I did the tests correctly, so where are we now? What next

Last edited by spindrifter; 11-24-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added ignition position

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: left brake / tail light failure