Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long 2 week drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Long 2 week drive

Hi All,

Looking to take my 2005 S-type 3L V6 X204 on a big trip next year down to the 2018 Jaguar National Rally. All up I will be doing about 50 hours worth of driving (about 4000Km) over that period with a couple days of 6 hour drives. To my knowledge the car has not been pushed this hard. It has only just reached 50K on the clock.

What sort of things should I watch out for and get checked/done to the car in order to prep for the trip. The car has had all servicing done to date. So far I am aware that the dust boots will need to be changed very soon.

All advice welcome.

Last edited by GlynS; 11-19-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello Glyn, and best wishes for your trip. I regret that April 2018 won't see me attend - a real shame because I have been looking for an excuse, any excuse, to catch up finally with Grant over in the Oenological Capital in the State of Intoxication.

My first advisory would be to watch your speed . . . those long, open stretches of country highway (eg 250Km from West Wyalong to next town, Hay, or Mildura to Renmark) make it hard to restrain your right foot. I have it on good authority that once you cross the SA border, any speeding infraction, coupled with the magnet of your interstate number plate, is an automatic $440+ "howdy doody".

As far as prepping the S-Type is concerned . . . gosh, with only 50K under its belt, it's not even run in (LOL). Seriously, fix any defects like those boots, seals & any electrical issues you have put off, check all hoses, drive belts, tyres & w/screen wipers, and replace filters & fluids. Provided these routine maintenance requirements are carried out, you should set out with great confidence. The later S-Types, in particular, are reliable country tourers . . . my round trips to/from Sydney usually tot up 1500-2000Km, and over recent times, I have been doing the journey almost weekly.

Only 1 such trip produced a scare . . . see my thread "A Bedtime Story . . . of DOOM & DISASTER"

Best wishes,

Ken